Menu

Deadline blues

Ok, so tomorrow is my last day of gerontology clinicals. You would think I would be a happy, smiling, did I mention happy?, girl, but no. (Sorry, Grace.)

Because me being the lackadaisical la dee da kinda girl that I am, I waited til The. Last. Day. to turn in 90% of my work. Why, you ask? Why, because the absolutely insane instructor let me/us. (She's insane for other reasons, but this one impacts me personally.)

I have no willpower for this clinical. I have no discipline for this clinical. I have no drive or interest, except for the hands on care aspect, for this clinical. So here I sit, staring at three journal entries, four nursing intervention entries, 1/2 of one care plan, a quality of life survey, a "What's Your Aging IQ?" survey, and three "assessments" to finish. Oh, and a post conference presentation on end-of-life care and an article summary. It's all due tomorrow by 8 am. :001_huh:

The "What's Your Aging IQ?" survey I'm wrapping up was taken by my "neighbor," a "67 y/o" male named "Bill Smith" who resembles my husband very closely. (VERY closely. Note the initials of Mr. Smith.)

Crazy instructor told us with many a wink that in this class, it was permissible and expected to employ a great deal of "creative writing" in completing our care plans and other assignments. Soooo, being the obedient student that I am, I am looking up things that matter to me in, say, being an RN and being creative about the parts that really just are about being a decent human being. Like as in, "Patient expresses distress about missing her seven chihuahuas at home. Student Nurse Pam obtains picture of the yapping hunds from patient's husband and places it by the bedside. Patient expresses a sense of relief and joy at being able to see her "babies" every day as evidenced by smiling, relaxing, and lowered HR and BP."

Uh huh. Well, anyway, I figured in the interest of wasting even MORE time, I would post about it here.

The theory gerontology class that accompanies this clinical class is WONderful, btw, and I am learning tons. It's very strange to me that the clinical is so horrible.

For some weird reason, I'm not a bit stressed. Why is that, I wonder? I imagine the reason is that, to steal from the country song, my give a durn's busted.

The "What's Your Aging IQ?" survey I'm wrapping up was taken by my "neighbor," a "67 y/o" male named "Bill Smith" who resembles my husband very closely. (VERY closely. Note the initials of Mr. Smith.)

Crazy instructor told us with many a wink that in this class, it was permissible and expected to employ a great deal of "creative writing" in completing our care plans and other assignments. Soooo, being the obedient student that I am, I am looking up things that matter to me in, say, being an RN and being creative about the parts that really just are about being a decent human being. Like as in, "Patient expresses distress about missing her seven chihuahuas at home. Student Nurse Pam obtains picture of the yapping hunds from patient's husband and places it by the bedside. Patient expresses a sense of relief and joy at being able to see her "babies" every day as evidenced by smiling, relaxing, and lowered HR and BP."

Well, Pam, the good news is that if this nursing gig ever grows tiresome, you could clearly become a writer!

:grouphug:

I know what it's like to have it all piled up like that. Go Pam! Rah Rah Rah!

Wow....good luck on what you have to do. I have a friend that is an RN and I felt like I went through her clinical with her sometimes.....

She was saddened by that particular one. The home she went to was not known for it's great patient care in regard to the senior citizens.

My husband jokingly says..."Be careful how you treat your children. One day they get to pick your nursing home."

For some weird reason, I'm not a bit stressed. Why is that, I wonder? I imagine the reason is that, to steal from the country song, my give a durn's busted.

I love that line. I have never heard it before, but now I'm getting it tattooed on my arm. And engraved on my headstone. And silk screened onto a t-shirt. Do they still silk screen things, or am I showing how old and decrepit I am?

I love that line. I have never heard it before, but now I'm getting it tattooed on my arm. And engraved on my headstone. And silk screened onto a t-shirt. Do they still silk screen things, or am I showing how old and decrepit I am?

It's not durn, it's the word that gets the little "****" here on the message board. Much more satisfying to say.

I missed Frasier, one I haven't seen, to write stupid clinical nuttiness! Wah!

It's not durn, it's the word that gets the little "****" here on the message board. Much more satisfying to say.

I missed Frasier, one I haven't seen, to write stupid clinical nuttiness! Wah!

Was it the Frasier that I was talking about in the other thread?

Ahhhh, well either way, durn or d***, I still love the sentiment!

So did it all get turned in Pam? Pullin' for ya!

(How much coffee did you drink last night? Or was it a Big Gulp, like in college? :lol:)

Yep. I got very little sleep, but it's all there. Only 1/2 cup of coffee! I admit that there was an ENORMOUS section that was time consuming and tedious and that was worth 1 point, and I just said, PFFFFFT! And I made a conscious decision just simply not to do it. The instructor didn't even look -- was going to give me 100% for the assignment. I asked her to please take the point, because otherwise I'd have guilt. So she did, and have 174/175 points for the course.

It's crazy. They're offering this instructor full-time status. Every single one of us got 100% on everything. (Well, except me, and I had to tell her NO.) Uh... :001_huh:

On a sadder note, a classmate didn't get stuff in. Came in this morning as near tears as I've ever seen this person and physically just a mess. For both clinical classes, no assignments. I'm talking literally dozens of hours of work, cumulatively five different days of information gathering. ACK! I don't know if passing the acute care clinical is even an option without these major assignments. (And I have no idea if the minor assignments have been done, either. I couldn't bear to ask.)

(Sorry, Grace.)

I have no willpower for this clinical. I have no drive or interest, except for the hands on care aspect, for this clinical.

Well, I'm with ya there! You know what I'm spending MY time doing these days (uh, it doesn't start with "studying for your FP Recert Boards - rather, it starts with "reading the WTM Boards, and wondering what the dating thread that I missed is all about." Ugh.)

...employ a great deal of "creative writing" in completing our care plans and other assignments. Soooo, being the obedient student that I am, I am looking up things that matter to me in, say, being an RN and being creative about the parts that really just are about being a decent human being. Like as in, "Patient expresses distress about missing her seven chihuahuas at home. Student Nurse Pam obtains picture of the yapping hunds from patient's husband and places it by the bedside. Patient expresses a sense of relief and joy at being able to see her "babies" every day as evidenced by smiling, relaxing, and lowered HR and BP."

I think that's GREAT (even though it's made-up)! (Seriously!! *I* am sitting here downloading a bunch of traditional hymns onto an old iPod, because I think that the HYMNS will do much better than the DRUGS for a particular patient of mine who (1) loves the old hymns, (2) stops repetitively and incessantly asking for her son (who she asks for even if he's right there - it's v. v. sad) when she hears them, and (3) actually starts singing along (even though she can't say much else besides, "Where's my son? Where's my son?") when she hears them.)

Anyway, that digression to say that I am NO fan of care plans - what a waste of brain cells. My favorite is the one that many (?) nursing home residents get - "The patient will remain safe." I have asked many a nurse and director of nurses what they write on the patients who they don't WANT to remain safe! It's all because of the surveyors and regs, though - Adversarial Healthcare, I call it!

I'm not a bit stressed.

Well, I'm coming in late to this thread, and, quite frankly, am relieved to find that you were not stressed and also that you're not perfect. (174/175? Hmph.)

Finally, to anyone who read this far, please raise your hand if

*you attended church / religious services this past week AND

*sang or listened to music AND

* got a little teary and/or cried AND

*then thought of Pam.

:seeya: (I'm not alone, am I?)

I've been wanting to ask that for a couple of weeks. :D

My favorite is the one that many (?) nursing home residents get - "The patient will remain safe." I have asked many a nurse and director of nurses what they write on the patients who they don't WANT to remain safe!

:lol::lol::lol:

The patient, a cranky old goat, will be deprived of his cane and a bottle of mineral oil will be "accidentally" dropped in his path.

Well, I'm coming in late to this thread, and, quite frankly, am relieved to find that you were not stressed and also that you're not perfect. (174/175? Hmph.)

Grade inflation stinks. Even when you're 42. Yeah, let's compare my A with an A that a Duke nursing school grad in an equivalent class earned. Yeah, let's don't. It's crazy-making. And I complain. And people think I'm bragging or being stupid about something very minor. Not. This "everybody is special" mentality just... well, you watched The Incredibles. You know what I mean. It's a major disincentive to working hard and learning, especially for a person like me who has an external locus of control in such matters as, say, studying and keeping on track with sequential learning tasks. [i need a little "nuts" emoticon, because it's NUTS, I tell ya!]

Finally, to anyone who read this far, please raise your hand if

*you attended church / religious services this past week AND

*sang or listened to music AND

* got a little teary and/or cried AND

*then thought of Pam.

:seeya: (I'm not alone, am I?)

I've been wanting to ask that for a couple of weeks. :D

Oh, you're so sweet! You'll be happy to know that I played hymns (it was our last day, and we had nothing to do between breakfast and lunch) for 45 mins -- man, am I rusty -- and I got through feeding lunch to the dear lady that I kept interested in eating way more than usual, including an extra yogurt, by singing revival songs to her *without crying*! Ok, without sobbing. And nobody saw me actually "cry." I only cried at the Fanny Crosby songs, because those are the ones that I think of my mother during and they are particularly potent.

And I thought of all of YOU and your encouraging words.

Break a leg (a pencil? take an extra) on the boards, Grace. You're going to be fine. Just find a zen sweet spot while you're filling in answers, and you'll be great.

You need to just get your fanny (sorry Brits) up here so we can have a big, sloppy love fest together. I say what you accomplished is worth something. And, what I say goes. So, I'd pat you on the back and tell you how wonderful you are. (Shoot, at least you thought about the whole thing enough to have a real opinion.)

I know I'd benefit from a love fest right about now. And, you could...um...well, sheesh...what would you gain? OH! I know!! I have a piano!! We could bang out hymns and sing "my give a ding-dong's busted" at the top of our lungs.

We might cry. But...

Then we'd laugh and laugh. :lol:

You need to just get your fanny (sorry Brits) up here so we can have a big, sloppy love fest together. I say what you accomplished is worth something. And, what I say goes. So, I'd pat you on the back and tell you how wonderful you are. (Shoot, at least you thought about the whole thing enough to have a real opinion.)

I know I'd benefit from a love fest right about now. And, you could...um...well, sheesh...what would you gain? OH! I know!! I have a piano!! We could bang out hymns and sing "my give a ding-dong's busted" at the top of our lungs.

We might cry. But...

Then we'd laugh and laugh. :lol:

Call me? Look for a PM.

:grouphug:

We could bang out hymns and sing "my give a ding-dong's busted" at the top of our lungs.

I have to admit [blushing] I read this "...and sing "my ding-dong's busted" " and as I was cracking up laughing, I though, "Ok, that's why Doran is sad. I get it now. You think you know a gal, though..."

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I am the procrastinatorist of procrastinators. I once wrote FOUR ten page papers in 3 sleepless nights. :tongue_smilie:

I wouldn't know anything about that, but maybe another poster does!

:bigear::lol::bigear::lol:

I have to admit [blushing] I read this "...and sing "my ding-dong's busted" " and as I was cracking up laughing, I though, "Ok, that's why Doran is sad. I get it now. You think you know a gal, though..."

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You're making ME laugh out loud, and it's the middle of the night. (Sleep was eluding me, so I'm up and here instead of up and pretending I'm sleeping. How can I do this quietly if you make me laugh aloud!?) Thanks for this. And, perhaps you're right. Maybe my ding-dong needs to go in for repair. :lol: