Menu

LOF physics is here

AimeeM

oooh, ooooh, keep talking! I want to hear more!! :D

We're planning on doing LOF Physics next year. We will have finished Fractions and Decimals and be working on MM6 & LOF Pre-Algebra w/ Biology. I was going to use LOF P as part of science, since we're doing physics next year. And then everything would be all nicely connected . . .

But I don't know if I can wait, I might have to get it sooner just for me! :D

I'll say this - my husband isn't thrilled with it (and he has a degree in physics, for what that's worth). Of course, he finds LOF too "wordy" in general, so we'll only take his opinion with a grain of salt :glare:. He generally feels that children at this age (or, rather, before algebra) should be exposed through experiments and interesting books (and memorizing Newton's Laws, I believe he said), not necessarily text or involving math... yet. Again, we only listen to him a bit because he doesn't care for Fred :D.

Several were asking about the math required. Specific questions? If your kiddo is a quick learner and have mastered fractions, decimals, and basic geometry, they should be fine... but looking at the book now, almost every chapter involves math on some level (obviously). The level of math required is, of course, relative to the math program you're using. To answer a PP, we are only using Math Mammoth as of this year, to hold off on Algebra for another year; so I have no way to compare the math level in LOF P to Math Mammoth 5, kwim?

My impressions...

I'm surprised he lists it BEFORE his pre-algebra books. In my opinion, this book looks to work best for a child who has some exposure with variables and other beginning algebraic concepts. The first few chapters do a sweep of variables, coefficients, and introduce the children to certain terminology associated with math as it relates to physics... but it's a quick sweep. Miss Dyslexic is struggling with it. Haven't yet determined if that's good or bad. There were tears today - and she loves science.

ETA: I think I will *try* to solve her frustration by allowing her to simply savor the book, without worrying about the "Your Turn to Play"; we'll worry about those later. Also important to note that we moved her to Math Mammoth because she was having a problem applying math conceptually (she was flying through CLE with no problems, but could not apply the math outside of a specific problem/formula); this may be lending to her difficulty with the math heavy chapter reviews in LOF Physics - not necessarily a bad thing... it could be very rewarding for her in the long run, I think.

Edited by AimeeM

My 11 year old son, who loves math and science, and is a very self-motivated learner in these areas, has been working through LoF Physics for a couple of weeks. He does find the subject matter quite a bit more challenging than the Fractions and Decimals and Percents books. However, on topics he really doesn't understand straight from the LoF book, he finds a corresponding video on Khan Academy and has been making good progress in the book. I have him do each "Your Turn to Play" section and self-correct, and then I grade each Bridge. He says this is his FAVORITE Fred book so far!

Do you think it would work well to use the Physics book AFTER the pre-algebra books?

:bigear:

Personally, yes. I think we may nix the book for now and pick it back up AFTER Math Mammoth 6 - so either next semester or over the summer.

I also feel that the reading level required to really "get" the book is at a higher level (much, in my opinion) than his Fractions/Decimals books. Again, just a personal observation. I don't want to kill her love of science just because the text is difficult to read and she feels frustrated with the math. We can worry about math based sciences a bit later (at her rate that will be within the next year or so anyway).

Aimee, thanks for the review. I *briefly* glanced at it when it arrived next week, and even then I thought it looked meaty... but haven't had a chance to dig into it.

I think we'll set this aside for now... he's not through Fractions and D/P yet anyway, but I'll have to see if he's ready for it before or after Prealgebra!!

Aimee, thanks for the review. I *briefly* glanced at it when it arrived next week, and even then I thought it looked meaty... but haven't had a chance to dig into it.

I think we'll set this aside for now... he's not through Fractions and D/P yet anyway, but I'll have to see if he's ready for it before or after Prealgebra!!

Very meaty. Lol. I think we'll wait to do it after MM6 or when she's well into MM6.

Now I need something for science... this board hurts my bank account :D.