Menu

Does Saxon Math eventually become self taught?

bttrflyvld

We have really loved Saxon k this year. It's easy to teach and fun for my daughter. I was just wondering if at some point does the math become more self taught? As my daughters become older I can see that teaching everything will be harder to do. (especially since I'm not a mathy person). If it does, what grade would this happen?

Not 100% self taught but definitely less teacher intensive once they are older.

DS11 is doing 7/6 and he normally does it on his own - but asks for help if he doesn't understand the new concept. He was the same last year.

DD8 did Saxon intermediate 3 last year and we pretty much did the new concept together and then she did the rest solo. So glad we did intermediate before 5/4 -it hasn't been too bad of a transition.

I learn along with them :D

I have self-taught with Saxon. I think I did LESS well when using videos, and stopped using them.

I learned to READ math textbooks. If starting with 54 a parent/teacher teaches the student how to READ the book, and has them learn to use the index and table of contents, and to use other math books as reference books, then they will be able to self-teach with Saxon. At least with the older editions. Things keep changing and Saxon isn't so Saxon anymore. :glare:

Three of my kids are using Saxon in a self-teaching way. The older two also self-mark their lessons and then I mark their tests.

My 6th grader is doing 76. She reads the lesson and does the some practice problems. She then checks her answers to the prac problems herself. If she has any wrong she checks in with me. If all is good she goes ahead with the lesson. I still mark her lessons at this stage. This system is working really well for us.

I have self-taught with Saxon. I think I did LESS well when using videos, and stopped using them.

I learned to READ math textbooks. If starting with 54 a parent/teacher teaches the student how to READ the book, and has them learn to use the index and table of contents, and to use other math books as reference books, then they will be able to self-teach with Saxon. At least with the older editions. Things keep changing and Saxon isn't so Saxon anymore. :glare:

:iagree:

We personally still use the DIVE disks, but dd is getting to the point where she doesn't "need" them everyday. I can see her retention is much better when she deciphers it on her own.

And, I am also frustrated / concerned with all the changes in Saxon. I purposely purchased the 3rd edition 7/6 because I've heard / seen so much negative about the updated versions. I told DH I might ought to go ahead and purchase the remaining programs at the 2nd / 3rd edition level so we'll have them before they go changing them..... again!

Not 100% self taught but definitely less teacher intensive once they are older.

DS11 is doing 7/6 and he normally does it on his own - but asks for help if he doesn't understand the new concept. He was the same last year.

DD8 did Saxon intermediate 3 last year and we pretty much did the new concept together and then she did the rest solo. So glad we did intermediate before 5/4 -it hasn't been too bad of a transition.

I learn along with them :D

How does the intermediate 3 work? Is is just Saxon 3 more advanced and leaning toward 5/4?

How does the intermediate 3 work? Is is just Saxon 3 more advanced and leaning toward 5/4?

No, not more advanced but not scripted for the parent like K-3 books. Intermediate 3 is essentially a textbook for the child; very similar to 5/4 in terms of layout. You have a new concept for each lesson, followed by lesson practice questions and then mixed practice (cumulative review).

It is substantially more writing for your child since there are no worksheets - just questions in the text.

ETA: if you've done Saxon 1 & 2, you know how annoying the scripted lessons can be!!

• 1 month later...