Menu

A funny: reading and my math-minded kid

Joshin

I posted a couple of weeks ago about our reading woes with my math/science-minded kid. Well, in the last week he has made leaps and bounds, although he is still isn't at grade level.

We were looking at a book just for fun that is well above his reading level and he was trying to decipher a few words as he recognized them. We had already encountered the word 'could' a few pages back. He saw the word 'would' and read it successfully on his own.

I told him good job and he said excitedly, "Mom, it's just like math! The "w" is a constant and the "ould" is a variable! You have to teach me all the variables then I can read just as good as everyone else!" He then decided to spend the morning going through a deck of sight word cards over and over again, determined to "learn all the variables."

Sometimes I love how this kid thinks!

What a great [inspiring, heartwarming, reassuring, life affirming, intelligent,...] story [post, account, experience, proof of good teaching, evidence of analytical thinking,....] !

I heart this MW! :001_smile:

Joshin, that is SO awesome. I just love it when they make those connections. Just love it when that light bulb is turned on. I have several videos of my son when he was younger, discovering some pattern or other in math and scribbling little problems all over the whiteboard for himself (or me) to solve over and over again. He would do this little jig with his hips and legs each time because he couldn't wait to see the magic happen again and again. Your story reminded me of that. Thanks for sharing!

Does he do all sight reading then? Would learning phonographs (it that the right word? Is it phonograms? I never get it right...) teach him the "variables?"

He knows his phonics very well, but was refusing to implement the knowledge because he couldn't make sense of when to use phonics and when not to since not all words follow the rules. He sees phonics as the '"constants" and words that don't follow the basic phonics sound-it-out rules as "variables," I think.

He knows his phonics very well, but was refusing to implement the knowledge because he couldn't make sense of when to use phonics and when not to since not all words follow the rules. He sees phonics as the '"constants" and words that don't follow the basic phonics sound-it-out rules as "variables," I think.

That's great that it's clicked for him. :D