Menu

A few apologia science questions... which book to leave out, zoology out of order?

staceyobu

I am trying to plan a grand scheme of science for all four of my kids because... well, because I should be vacuuming the floor. So, play along... because obviously planning the scope of my children's education is more important than mundane housework!

My oldest will not have time for every book. Especially after they release the geology and chem/physics books. Which books would you omit? Which would you think are least important for building a good knowledge base? Or the least fun?

My youngers might need to do the zoology books out of order in an effort for me to keep everyone on the same book and not be repeating books for everyone. How bad would it be for the youngers to do zoo 2/ zoo 3/ zoo 1 in that order? Or to maybe completely skip zoo 1???

Thanks!!!

I am trying to plan a grand scheme of science for all four of my kids because... well, because I should be vacuuming the floor. So, play along... because obviously planning the scope of my children's education is more important than mundane housework!

My oldest will not have time for every book. Especially after they release the geology and chem/physics books. Which books would you omit? Which would you think are least important for building a good knowledge base? Or the least fun?

My youngers might need to do the zoology books out of order in an effort for me to keep everyone on the same book and not be repeating books for everyone. How bad would it be for the youngers to do zoo 2/ zoo 3/ zoo 1 in that order? Or to maybe completely skip zoo 1???

Thanks!!!

Do you know when this is happening?

As to the order, I think you could do them in whatever order you wish. Your oldest will just get more out of them than the youngest.

Yes, you can do the books out of order. The only suggestion is that you do the first chapter of zoo1 before any of the zoo books as it covers classification. This chapter is available as a free sample on their website so you don't even have to buy zoo1 to do this.

Some books are easier than others. Anatomy is one that is best left until later. Astronomy is the easiest.

As far as planning a grand scheme - kids have this nasty habit of not following our plans so don't get too attached to them (the plans, not the kids :tongue_smilie:).

My DS started Astronomy in grade 1 and was happy to spend the whole year on one book. In grade 2 and 3 we went through all the Zoology books (2 weeks per chapter gets you through more than one book in a year). By grade 4 he was getting through a chapter each week (30 minutes per day) so we got through Botany and Anatomy in less than a year. So that got us through 6 books in four years.

That probably won't work for you since you will be wanting to keep it managable for the younger ones, but I have a couple of suggestions:

1. If you use the suggestion of two weeks per chapter you will be finished the book in 28 weeks. If you go straight onto another book then in 3 years you will be almost finished your fourth book.

2. If you end up with an older child needing more than the youngers, you can give them one of the extra books to read independently in addition to what you are doing as a group.

3. If you plan to do all the elementary books I would then skip General Science and go straight into Physical Science (we did this). This gives you an extra year for the elementary books.

I think it is good to have a long term plan of how it could work, but to be flexible enough to change things up if you need to.

My yougest son did 2 books a year for 5th and 6th, would this help them?

If I were to pick a book to skip it would be Swimming creatures. Astronomy, Birds, Botany, Human Anatomy are all things most children can view regularly and have a base knowledge with. However of all the books Swimming creatures was my son's favorite.

I am so glad geology is going to be published, their are so few geology curriculums for the grammar/logic stage.

I let my DC pick the level to study this year. I was going to go with my oldest's pick (since she'll probably be going through fewer levels than the rest of my DC), but they all wanted Sea Creatures anyway. :lol: My main goal for elementary science is to get them interested in the subject, so for me, the actual subject isn't as important as their interest in that subject. I have heard of children reading through the books on their own...maybe that could be an option down the road.

Also, I've heard some families are able to use 2 books/year...maybe you could look into that? ...You know, if you want to delay more vacuuming. ;)

Edited by Holly

I am so glad geology is going to be published, their are so few geology curriculums for the grammar/logic stage.

It's Geology and Earth Science. :hurray: I'm so glad, I was wishing there was more earth science in the astronomy book we're doing right now. I'm happy that they will all be out while my kids are still in elementary. I think she is also revising Botany & Astronomy.

OP, here is a link to the author's FAQ page where she discusses some of your questions.

ETA: I know Geology is an earth science, I'm just hoping that the title means it will include atmosphere, weather, water cycle, etc. too.

Edited by skeeterbug

We are doing them all out of order and it'll be fine.

My ds will do zoology 1 then anatomy

My dd will do zoology 1, then anatomy, then zoology 2, then I'll let her choose what to do before beginning the Jay Wile series.

I personally was happy to skip astronomy because we are not die hard YE, and because my kids have watched, read, and absorbed tons and tons of astronomy.