Menu

Explode the Code 1/2 books

Guest kidsandlabradors

Guest kidsandlabradors

I have a 5 year old and we have started using Explode the Code Book 1. We are about mid-way through the book. I am trying to plan for the future and am wondering if we should do the 1/2 books. I have up through book 4 right now. Is it just good extra practice or too much repetition? She really enjoys doing them, since I have never seen the 1/2 books, I don't know if they are a waste of time or something that would be helpful. I don't mind spending the money or time on it as long as it would be helpful and not wasteful. We plan on doing at least through level 4, possibly up to 6 or even 8, and would be willing to do all the 1/2 books in between if people have found them useful. I am trying to plan our year and have the books we need on hand so we are ready to go.

I would only get them if you need them. DD started with 2 and flew through it and #3. We didn't continue after that because her reading ability sky rocketed.

DS is now flying through book 2. If it suddenly were to get too hard, I'd get the half book to give him more practice. I wouldn't plan on doing it though.

I purchased several of the 1/2 books thinking I'd have ds do them all. We haven't done any of them. But they look nice on my shelf! :D We are using ETC as extra phonics reinforcement, not instruction. If you are using these as instruction then the 1/2 books could be useful. If her reading level is far ahead of her ETC level (or later becomes so) she won't need the 1/2 books. Does that make sense?

Just FYI, the 1/2 books are a bit longer, they have about 30 more pages in them.