Menu

Chess Help...

nov05mama

My DS has been interested in playing Chess and I am looking for feedback on books or websites that could be helpful for him. I also want to get recommendations on your favorite chess sets (fairly inexpensive, if possible, but still 'nice' - I'd like to stick to no more than about $20 if I can!) He had his first meeting with our local homeschool Chess Club tonight and it went well, but he's definitely going to need practice!

He knows how to play in general, and I know that most of the strategy type stuff will come mostly with practice (and age), but if there are any great books or websites that would help, I'd greatly appreciate your recommendations!

Championship Chess

http://www.championshipchess.net/

DS has used their workbooks to learn strategy.

Their chess sets (or ones similar) are very good. (Boards can be rolled, but are heavy enough to stay flat during play. Pieces are extremely sturdy and bottom heavy so they don't topple easily.)

You might also see if your local colleges have a team. If they do, they may offer summer camps.

I bought Once a Pawn a Time from RR. DS loved- has loved it for three months now. The set is nice, but not overly so. It comes with two books- one for beginners and one for advanced moves.

He loved it so much that he ended up making a book himself: 2 1/2! It totally cracked me up!

Anyway, I remember that is fairly reasonably priced as well. HTH

• 3 months later...

Chesskid is an *okay* website. It's only problem is that it suffers from a severe lack of KIDS to play with! I guess they are all in school or busy with organized activities and homework. In fact some of the better "kids" on that site are not even kids...they are robots the website had to add so that there would be opponents online at all times.

The videos are good, though. But there are videos all over YouTube as well.

Once your child can play a little....put him on Chess.com which usually has thousands of people online at any moment.

Chess is truly awesome because the learning curve is so steep and because it's so easy for motivated players to get better. Here's a post I wrote last year on how to get a child going with chess:

http://www.cyber-sch...ted-with-chess/

Sorry, did not realize that this was an old thread ...

At 4 years old, my son used the software from Fritz and Chester as well as app from Dinosaur chess at home for entertainment and learning the basics of chess.

At 5, now, my son plays chess (somewhat!). His real exposure and training in chess comes from once a week chess classes he attends at a chess school run by an IM in chess who is really patient and has a way with kids that age. The class teaches strategies (moves, gambits etc), solving chess puzzles (given a scenario, how would you checkmate in 1 move, 2 moves), a mini weekly tournament, a blitz game? (one of those fast ones) etc and they send 5 puzzles home (how to checkmate etc) as a homework. My son enjoys the classes so much as well as makes a lot of friends when he plays tournaments with them (he plays with atleast 10 kids each week). It is a great pursuit to foster critical thinking, logical reasoning, decision making, strategic planning etc. As you said, practice is what makes the player better and you will get that only if you join a chess league or go to a chess school where you can meet several other players or if a parent or a mentor is a good player.

As for a chess set, my son's coach recommends "tournament" style chess sets with "triple weighted" pieces, extra queens and rollable vinyl boards so that you can take them with you for playing with friends. I bought one of the sets from the following website, though you can find similar sets on amazon etc. I chose the green board because it is easier to see the pieces on it!

http://www.wholesale...ment_chess_sets

Good luck to your DS :)

• 3 weeks later...