Menu

I just threw Junior Analytical Grammar in the trash. What to do now?

Shellydon

So both DD and I hated JAG. DD is a young 5th grader (just turned 10 two weeks ago) that completed FLL4 this summer. What should I do for this year now? I had picked JAG as something that would be light as I am schooling 3 children for the first time this year. Can I skip grammar entirely or should I try something else? Suggestions on what to do now please :001_smile:

Yes, GWG is independent and pretty good. It's not FLL though. :)

You might be interested in Daily Grammar Practice. It's looks simple yet very thorough and the price isn't too bad. It uses sentences from literature once you get to 6th grade level.

Edited by Kleine Hexe

I recommend Hake Grammar and Writing 5. It's the closest thing to FLL that I could find, but your dd could also do it independently if you like (mine does). GWG ... Well, I'll just say that in my experience, yes, it's cheap, but you get what you pay for. I was not impressed with GWG at all.

These are solid and cheap. My own these. I like Climbing to Good English better in GENERAL, but these are solid. I sometimes use these as a reference, or with a student that hasn't committed to working through the CGE series.

Mark Twain Sentence Diagramming $1.99

Carson-Dellosa Grammar 3-4 $5.99

Carson-Dellosa Grammar 5-6 $5.99

I really want to purchase the Evan-Moor Daily 6-Trait workbooks to use with the above resources for the same type of students I use the above books with. Sometimes you can get these for $20.00 at Amazon, but full price they are $30.00. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Hunter

One option that I seldom see mentioned is the British program So You Really Want To Learn English (in your case Book 2). It's by Galore Park, and offers a strong literature and comprehension component with relevant grammar and spelling. The best part is that it can be used independently. Ds9 is using GP Jr English Book 2 independently as grammar and writing practice before I teach him.

We're using Bauer's unfinished ALL (the fifteen weeks she has done are free, but Beta form). I'm planning on just using this for the year since our year is so full -- instead of 5 days a week on grammar we'll be doing 3. He's got Latin, so I feel fine about only doing half a program.

How does Latin help with teaching Grammar? I am thinking of cutting our Grammar lessons also since we are doing Latin.

We're using Bauer's unfinished ALL (the fifteen weeks she has done are free, but Beta form). I'm planning on just using this for the year since our year is so full -- instead of 5 days a week on grammar we'll be doing 3. He's got Latin, so I feel fine about only doing half a program.

I should do this. I'd forgotten she put out the first 15 weeks.

These are solid and cheap. My own these. I like Climbing to Good English better in GENERAL, but these are solid. I sometimes use these as a reference, or with a student that hasn't committed to working through the CGE series.

Mark Twain Sentence Diagramming $1.99

Carson-Dellosa Grammar 3-4 $5.99

Carson-Dellosa Grammar 5-6 $5.99

I really want to purchase the Evan-Moor Daily 6-Trait workbooks to use with the above resources for the same type of students I use the above books with. Sometimes you can get these for $20.00 at Amazon, but full price they are $30.00. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks!

What didn't you like about JAG? It might help narrow suggestions for you.

It was just very, very light/fluffy after FLL. If a child hasn't had FLL, the instruction is not enough. If the child HAS done FLL, it is just too light. Yesterday, the worksheet was :

"Make-up a sentence using the noun dog. Write it below"

"Can you think up a sentence using the word dog as an adjective? Write it below."

To me, that is not 5th grade level work. It just isn't a fit for us.

"Make-up a sentence using the noun dog. Write it below"

"Can you think up a sentence using the word dog as an adjective? Write it below."

:confused:

Aside from the fact that "make-up" should not be hyphenated ...

Wow, super-lite. My dd would rebel. She loves grammar and would freak out if that was all that was expected.

Tara

:confused:

Aside from the fact that "make-up" should not be hyphenated ...

Wow, super-lite. My dd would rebel. She loves grammar and would freak out if that was all that was expected.

Tara

The first several lessons were identifying nouns by writing a N over the noun in the sentence. Subsequent lessons were identifying proper nouns, pronouns and adjectives by writing the abbreviation over the sentence. Very easy, but I thought it was quick review and would get better.

The program does have diagramming, which some grammar programs do not, so I guess that is a plus.

The program does have diagramming, which some grammar programs do not, so I guess that is a plus.

Hake has diagramming. My dd says it's not challenging enough and wants me to get her a diagramming workbook. Since Hake begins at level 5 and is just introducing diagramming, I am assuming it will get more complex as we move along. One of the best things about FLL 3 and 4 was its diagramming instruction.

I miss FLL ... :sad:

Tara

If you can live without diagramming then Easy Grammar 5th grade or Evan Moor's Daily Language Review 5th grade may be good choices. Or use the two together. You could also just skip a program/workbook entirely and use a reference book like Nitty Gritty Grammar and the Writer's Express handbook and just focus on writing and discuss grammar topics as they are needed. I used Easy Grammar last year and planned on it again this year, but it's just overkill. I'm just discussing grammar as needed while working on our writing programs. A separate grammar program is just too much this year. I may pick it up again next year. If your child is really good at grammar then I wouldn't see anything wrong with dropping a formal curriculum for a year.