Menu

Can you recomend a "read aloud" book after Harry Potter?

We just finished the series last night after a year or two of great enjoyement for all concerned. My son is 8, starting third grade. What would be a great book to continue our read alond time with? It does not have to be children-specific literature. Ideally, something we both can enjoy (and I do not enjoy most children's books) but my main concern is to seamlessly continue our reading at bedtime tradition for as long as I can.

Many Thanks!

Wow. Where to begin? There are so so many good books!

If you want lists and ideas check out the Read Aloud Handbook, Honey for a Child's Heart, and for boys specifically, What Stories Does my Son Need.

After we got done with Harry Potter we moved to the Peter Pan series by Dave Barry. The book I linked to is the first one in the series. My boys loved them.

May be too advanced, but Inkheart, by Cornelia Funke, is great.

The Thief Lord, by the same author, is good (jumps the shark a bit, but it's good), as well as When Santa Fell to Earth. Dragonrider and Igraine the Brave are two others by her (we love her).

If you want humor, books by Sid Fleischman are really great. We love almost everything by Roald Dahl, too (he gets a little British-mean, tho, but we find him funny).

We are enjoying working our way through the Rangers Apprentice series. My daughter talked about it so much her older brother read it. They talked about it so much I asked to read them. We three talked about it so much my husband and daughter asked to read it. Dad is reading after dinner and we are on book 6. The three of us that have read them all are still enjoying going through them again with DH and DD.

Thanks so very much everyone. I guess we are not done with HP yet; he recalled a previous teacher gifted him the British edition of The Half Blood Prince so we are now reading that, though I cannot tell how it's different from the one we already read. No matter, we get to extend the Harry magic a little while and then I have all these great suggestions to return to.

We've already done Percy Jackson and all Road Dahl.