Menu

Buddhism:anyone here practice, alone or a/their dc?

wondering if anyone here practices buddhist habits, teachings, etc, either alone or with their kids? hoping that there's somebody here who does, if only a "dabbler"!:)

do you go to temple or have a teacher? or do you learn most from books, etc?

always open to book recommendations, so if you know some feel free to suggest!

do you meditate? do you meditate with your dc? at what age did they begin?

do you teach your children buddhist practices, also? actively, i mean, rather than soley by leading through example?

do they attend temple?

how do you incorporate your buddhist practices into your homeschool environment?

personally, i believe buddhist teachings & habits are compatible with other religions. one can follow both christianity and buddhism, for example, in my opinion.

so if you have another religion or no religion and still follow buddhist ideas, please go ahead and comment!

if you'd feel more comforable sending a PM, please feel welcome to do that, too!

thanks!

I recently ordered this book based upon a recommendation from someone here. Haven't started reading it yet, but it's on my nighstand.

I am attracted to the peace of the Buddhist lifestyle, although I haven't explored the teachings much. Ds and I discuss a lot of religions, we are a christian family. Dh is not open to discussion on the topic, so it's mainly ds and I.

We're actually UU, but I've read many books on Buddhism, taken meditation and mindfulness classes, and attended lectures on Buddhism. I even saw the Dalai Lama speak once. :001_wub:

So I can't speak as a true Buddhist, but I do have kid's books related to mindfulness and I draw it into our everyday life.

We have a friend who is a buddhist monk. My DH attends his zen classes, which are separate from the religious ceremonies for the local Korean community. Some of the students are practicing Buddhists, but not all. Dh is a zen catholic, his friend is zen Jewish.

Just thought I'd mention it in case people didn't realize that these ARE two different things and you can combine them or not.

I recently ordered this book based upon a recommendation from someone here. Haven't started reading it yet, but it's on my nighstand.

I am attracted to the peace of the Buddhist lifestyle, although I haven't explored the teachings much. Ds and I discuss a lot of religions, we are a christian family. Dh is not open to discussion on the topic, so it's mainly ds and I.

That book has meant an awful lot to me, as does all of his writing. I am making my way through one on meditation right now. I am a Christian (haven't been to church in years, very liberal socially, do not believe in a literal perspective on the teachings in the Bible, etc) and am embracing Buddhism as a philosophy. My husband and my daughter are moving this way, too.

We practice yoga sporadically but are all working toward a daily, meaningful practice. I end my practice with a meditation and am working so hard at it. I am certain that my ADHD makes it a little more difficult. :tongue_smilie: My yoga teacher is not Buddhist, she is a Christian. The yoga and meditation have little to do with the Buddhism, but they allow my mind and body to quieten.

In one of the books by the previously mentioned author teaches mindfulness and a sort of self talk which I find I am using an awful lot. I had to buy a washer and dryer set for someone this weekend which meant actually going to HHGregg. It was a not an easy transaction and sitting there I was able to, as I read in the book, to say, "breathing in I am calm, breathing out I feel calmer still. Breathing in I feel love, breathing out I give love to those around me." Honestly, you can sit through anything with tons of stress with that skill. Awesome. We are all trying to go 30 days without negativity, negative talk, toxic entertainment and such and are working toward right speech which is truthful, timely, positive and kind. I'll let you know how that goes. :D

So far, I can't find anything which I find "bad" or offensive to a Christian. I don't really embrace the reincarnation and I am on a journey here so I know my feelings and thoughts will grow and change. I am excited to hear your experiences and thoughts!

I want to add that my sons aren't big on it. My daughter and oldest son are in college, youngest son still home. The boys just don't really have any interest in any of the books yet. My daughter actually got us on this path with that book. And no, I didn't know the difference in the zen um...communities? schools? philosophies? There is just so much to learn.

We are Soto Zen Buddhists. In fact, my username here is my Buddhist name I was given by my teacher when I went through Jukai, or lay ordination. My husband and I are serious practitioners. DS12 is mildly interested and DS7 has little to no interest. When they were younger, we attended a Jodo Shinshu temple because they had Dharma School (like Sunday school for Buddhists). We eventually stopped going because it didn't align with our beliefs. Shin is much less meditation focused and more liturgical. Since DH and I are more like Atheist Buddhists, it didn't jive with us.

We do not have a Soto temple where we live now, but we still meet with our old teacher regularly via Skype. We also try to attend a sesshin once a year (extended practice period, like a retreat). I meditate daily with few exceptions and personally I do not believe you can be a Buddhist without some form of regular meditation. There are many different forms of Buddhist meditation. I primarily practice Shikantaza, or "just sitting" meditation. I do think it's important for new students to have a teacher when first learning Zen meditation because many ego issues pop up and it can be difficult to wade through these on your own. I know of at least one online sangha and have personal experiences with the teachers there for those that do not have access to a local teacher. PM me if you would like a link.

We taught the basics of Buddhist belief actively when the boys were younger. Now we answer questions if they arise. We may occasionally address life issues as they come up with a Buddhist perspective.

I'm more than willing to answer any other questions if someone has any :001_smile:

I am Theravada Buddhist. No other religion. We don’t attend because the temple in town has services in Thai. I listen to Dhamma talks and read books from Thanissaro Bhikkhu at Metta Forest Monastery. dd doesn’t meditate since she is still young enough to be learning to sit still long enough! We read Jataka tales together. This school year I will be adding in more specifically Buddhist lessons.

We live very close to Deer Park, which is associated with Thich Nhat Hanh. I have visited there but not when he was there.

Before my kids were born I practiced Vipassana meditation. It helped immensely and I would love to get back to it. I went to Dhamma Kunja which follows the teachings of S.N. Goenka. It is very compatible with liberal Christianity, and Goenka lectures about that compatibility.

The retreats are free and you give a donation afterwards. I just haven't wanted to leave my kids for 10 days. The 10 days of silence does sound good though!

Thank you for all the kind, thoughtful replies!

Buddhist practice is something I'm interested in, but I do feel I'm dabbling in isolation, if you know what I mean.

I will check out the author mentioned above. I read some of his books when ds was a baby and liked them. But then I allowed myself to get too distracted and undisciplined-- life's daily demands-- to commit to spiritual habits.

Centering the mind and breathing, letting go of illusions of ego and self...these ideas appeal to me. Yes, I could use some of that.

The philosophy, meditation, and discipline are what I'd like to cultivate and incorporate more into my life and home, rather than the reincarnation and liturgical elements.

The temple is far away from my town and I'm not sure to which branch it belongs.

Suggestions for initial practice without a teacher welcome!

much appreciation for all the posts

Thank you for all the kind, thoughtful replies!

Buddhist practice is something I'm interested in, but I do feel I'm dabbling in isolation, if you know what I mean.

I will check out the author mentioned above. I read some of his books when ds was a baby and liked them. But then I allowed myself to get too distracted and undisciplined-- life's daily demands-- to commit to spiritual habits.

Centering the mind and breathing, letting go of illusions of ego and self...these ideas appeal to me. Yes, I could use some of that.

The philosophy, meditation, and discipline are what I'd like to cultivate and incorporate more into my life and home, rather than the reincarnation and liturgical elements.

The temple is far away from my town and I'm not sure to which branch it belongs.

Suggestions for initial practice without a teacher welcome!

much appreciation for all the posts

It sounds to me like you're gravitating towards the zen studies, and not the buddhist observances.

Book recommendations I enjoyed:

Anything by Pema Chodron

Anything by Sylvia Boorstein (the titles I remember are "It is Easier than you Think" and "That's Funny; You Don't Look Buddhist")

Boorstein's books are a light read but very engaging. Chodron's require a little more attention but not much. I have found some other Buddhist books a slog.

Marcus Borg has an interesting book comparing the sayings of The Buddha and Jesus.

Meditation tapes can be helpful but I don't have any recommendations that I can think of.

I spent a few years studying, it really carried me through a difficult time (divorce) - it really helped change my views of "attachment" and introduced me to being patient and consider how things are impermanent when sometimes it feels like forever.

I really enjoyed that time in my life, I think I laughed more and developed a sharp sense of irony; and not to be so serious.

We're actually UU, but I've read many books on Buddhism, taken meditation and mindfulness classes, and attended lectures on Buddhism. I even saw the Dalai Lama speak once. :001_wub:

So I can't speak as a true Buddhist, but I do have kid's books related to mindfulness and I draw it into our everyday life.

I'm a dabbler who would love know more. :)

BuddhaNet is a good intro site to general Buddhism and the different schools.

Soto Zen has a lot of good material, many aimed at beginners, for those interested in Zen.

Another Zen resource is Treeleaf Zendo. They are an online group with very good teachers for those that do not have a teacher nearby. I have many dear friends that practice there and I also do on occasion.

The Buddhist Library has many texts, both for beginners and experiences practitioners, available online for free.

Those are all I can think of right now, but I'll add more as I remember them!

BuddhaNet is a good intro site to general Buddhism and the different schools.

Soto Zen has a lot of good material, many aimed at beginners, for those interested in Zen.

Another Zen resource is Treeleaf Zendo. They are an online group with very good teachers for those that do not have a teacher nearby. I have many dear friends that practice there and I also do on occasion.

The Buddhist Library has many texts, both for beginners and experiences practitioners, available online for free.

Those are all I can think of right now, but I'll add more as I remember them!

Thank you.

I am Buddhist by birth. I don't actively practice, but do attend temple for important days and family events. Buddhism is evident in many of our family and cultural traditions, but I've not formally studied it - just lived it, I guess.

I've had Mommy Friends ask me about Buddhism; I think as a philosophy it's very attractive to many people, even those in other faiths. One asked me to review a book for her, to see if it was "authentic" and I think it might be of interest to some of you. It read like a gentle introduction to how you can begin applying Buddhist principles straight away. It's called Buddhism for Mothers. This friend never ended up getting much into Buddhism, but still credits this book with forever changing her parenting approach.

It's not meaty, so if you're well into your spiritual journey it may be too ... superficial, obvious, or lacking ... but for those new to Buddhism it might offer a way to begin applying Buddhist principles straight away to what is a significant portion of our (present) lives: mothering.

It covers the most basic Buddhist beliefs, those central to all sects, and is a great way to start building a foundation. As you research more, then you can narrow down those sects which appeal most to you. But to start, it's a good place.