Menu

board games for gifted 3yo?

LEK

I have decided we will introduce a board game night here in addition to playing games during school times. The theory at the moment is that I will play a game with one child and hubby will play with the other (while the baby hopefully SLEEPS) thus giving them both one-on-one time and dedicated educational games geared towards their current level. We have an advanced 5yo and we have plenty of games at her level and a little beyond ready to move onto but I am stuck for ideas for the gifted 3yo. Intellectually she is operating at about a 1st/2nd grade level in most areas however on the other hand she is still 3, it needs to be age and maturity appropriate (especially attention span wise). Any suggestions or advice? She loves games but at the minute all our age appropriate games are too easy and the next level are too long/not appealing to a 3yo. TIA

We skipped kids' games entirely, and looked for adult games that were fairly short and could be adapted. My DD started playing Carcassone at age 3, for example, but that was with a lot of prompting and using only the basic tile set, so a game for 3 players is only about 30 minutes. Once she had a good vocabulary, scrabble, played tiles UP and with a word length limit, worked well-she could pick the tiles she needed to play words and focus on placing them for the best scores. After we played that way for a couple of years we moved to playing tiles hidden, but have kept a length limit in play for DH and I (so we can't bingo on triple word scores, for example).

One thing we've discovered-most games sold for kids tend to be very luck based. Adult games were easier for the grownups to tweak to keep them competitive for a child player. So in Catan, DH and I will hold back on placing settlements once we get to 7-8 victory points, and build development cards or work on getting a longest road instead. Eventually SOMEONE will get to the point where it's obvious that they have the 10 points needed to win, but by holding back some at the end, we can tweak it so that the last few rounds really ARE simply the luck of the draw, and there's not a case of the two people who have been playing strategy games seriously for about 30 years totally smoking the one who has only been on the planet 7.

Other games that have been a hit around here-Forbidden Island (cooperative), Survive! (competitive), Clue, Mastermind, Blokus (probably not at 3-I think she was about 5 when we got that one). Atlas vs. Zeus.

My kids like card games, UNO, phase 10, etc... These can easily be modified to be short, played open handed etc...as needed for a little one too. Regular cards work well too. Many have a good combo of luck and strategy.

Card games- Go fish, crazy 8, UNO..

Board games: Checkers, Chutes and Ladders, Ludo.

Other games: Jenga, Lego.

By far, her favorite was Chutes and Ladders. In India, it's sold as "Snakes and Ladders" and stepping on the head of the snake= decreasing numbers. .:D