Menu

39 kittens were killed tonight...Amongst other English atrocities committed.

I'm sorry Mrs. Mungo. It's a sick and twisted thing and the school should be reported to PETA!

The yearbook for a local private school came out last week and I saw a copy today. What I saw made my eyes bulge out of my head and like a really bad wreck on the highway, it was difficult not to stare.

The school is VERY small. The yearbook had 61 pages total and when reading the opening paragraph, written by the principal, I noticed that the man could not write a coherent sentence. This caused me to "edit" the rest of the book.

Total - 173 gross errors committed against the English language. Apparently, apostrophes are popular instruments of pluralizing at this school. End punctuation was merely a suggestion much of the time, and spelling was :001_huh:. They did not understand the concept of adding "ing" to short and long vowel words. Biting was bitting, and so forth ad nauseum.

If kittens are killed over the severe abuse of apostrophes, I don't know what dies when a run-on sentence takes up half a page, does not begin with a capital, contains no punctuation anywhere in the structure, nor ends with punctuation either. But, sadly, I suspect it may be something a precious as Panda bears.

My brain hurts.

Faith

I'm sorry Mrs. Mungo. It's a sick and twisted thing and the school should be reported to PETA!

The yearbook for a local private school came out last week and I saw a copy today. What I saw made my eyes bulge out of my head and like a really bad wreck on the highway, it was difficult not to stare.

The school is VERY small. The yearbook had 61 pages total and when reading the opening paragraph, written by the principal, I noticed that the man could not write a coherent sentence. This caused me to "edit" the rest of the book.

Total - 173 gross errors committed against the English language. Apparently, apostrophes are popular instruments of pluralizing at this school. End punctuation was merely a suggestion much of the time, and spelling was :001_huh:. They did not understand the concept of adding "ing" to short and long vowel words. Biting was bitting, and so forth ad nauseum.

If kittens are killed over the severe abuse of apostrophes, I don't know what dies when a run-on sentence takes up half a page, does not begin with a capital, contains no punctuation anywhere in the structure, nor ends with punctuation either. But, sadly, I suspect it may be something a precious as Panda bears.

My brain hurts.

Faith

I suppose it's really strange that I was relieved to find out all this didn't happen on WTM boards or in my posts! I thought I might have to go to bed feeling really embarrassed.

My brain hurts.

Faith

Maybe you could donate a copy of Eats, Shoots & Leaves.

Looking at the number of people who work as profesisonal writers, teachers and such but cannot write in correct English, it is evident that society as a whole simply doesn't value grammar and spelling. As for the war against the greengrocers' apostrophe, I suspect it has already been lost. It won't be long before the plural apostrophe is elevated to a legitimate alternative, and then to the accepted usage, and thenceforth the apostrophe traditionalists will be like those pesky pedants who still insist on using whom.

Looking at the number of people who work as profesisonal writers, teachers and such but cannot write in correct English, it is evident that society as a whole simply doesn't value grammar and spelling. As for the war against the greengrocers' apostrophe, I suspect it has already been lost. It won't be long before the plural apostrophe is elevated to a legitimate alternative, and then to the accepted usage, and thenceforth the apostrophe traditionalists will be like those pesky pedants who still insist on using whom.

NOOOOOOOOOoOoooooOoOOoOoOoOOoOoOoooooooooo!

I will fight 'til the last red ink!

Sadly, I think you are correct.

NOOOOOOOOOoOoooooOoOOoOoOoOOoOoOoooooooooo!

I will fight 'til the last red ink!

I'm with you!

I'm with Mrs. Mungo! I am also a fan of the Oxford Comma so I shall fight to my last written word, for the proper use of apostrophes.

I seriously considered ordering on the blasted books. I thought about sending it to SWB as an object lesson of "how NOT to write, edit, or publish" for her college writing courses at the College of William and Mary. I would not be able to download it here because of bandwith issues. It is of course full of pictures.

But, my conscience squawks at me. There are certain curriculum publishers that I will not buy from because I do not want my money used to support their viewpoints. Therefore, buying one of these embarassments seems like a violation of my own principles!

I'll have to think about it.

Here are just a few of the errors:

Ad's (ads)

Bitting (biting)

student's (students)

sceince colention (science collection)

principles (principal's - faux pas made by the principal himself)

glass's (glasses)

astramony (astronomy)

done got (have)

got no (do not have)

could of (could have)

weren't no (wasn't any)

boys basketball team (boys')

teacher's (teachers)

That is just a sampling. Discalimer: No new kittens were tortured or killed in the creation of this list. Their counterparts expired at the time of the original offense and the feline population was properly warned that as part of ongoing efforts to save proper English from extinction, whistle-blowers would need to publish these errors for all to see.

Faith

What was the context of the word biting in a school yearbook? :confused:

I'd give partial credit for boys basketball team.

The students had been at an amusement park. The photo was of two students on a roller coaster and one of them had her hands to her face - somewhat blurry, but possible "nail biting". The caption referred to her being scared and "bitting her nails" and that sentence did NOT have end punctuation, thereby adding insult to injury!

Faith

I'm with Mrs. Mungo! I am also a fan of the Oxford Comma so I shall fight to my last written word, for the proper use of apostrophes.

I seriously considered ordering on the blasted books. I thought about sending it to SWB as an object lesson of "how NOT to write, edit, or publish" for her college writing courses at the College of William and Mary. I would not be able to download it here because of bandwith issues. It is of course full of pictures.

But, my conscience squawks at me. There are certain curriculum publishers that I will not buy from because I do not want my money used to support their viewpoints. Therefore, buying one of these embarassments seems like a violation of my own principles!

I'll have to think about it.

Here are just a few of the errors:

Ad's (ads)

Bitting (biting)

student's (students)

sceince colention (science collection)

principles (principal's - faux pas made by the principal himself)

glass's (glasses)

astramony (astronomy)

done got (have)

got no (do not have)

could of (could have)

weren't no (wasn't any)

boys basketball team (boys')

teacher's (teachers)

That is just a sampling. Discalimer: No new kittens were tortured or killed in the creation of this list. Their counterparts expired at the time of the original offense and the feline population was properly warned that as part of ongoing efforts to save proper English from extinction, whistle-blowers would need to publish these errors for all to see.

Faith

I feel like something went extinct with that publication... Something that was placed on the endangered list in the course of that school's language arts classes.

Poor, poor kittens. :crying:

Edited by MyCrazyHouse
Darn autocorrect!

Would you give partial credit for "men basketball?"

You can order a set of 5 Oatmeal grammar/spelling/word usage posters for only $40. I'm ust saying. ;)

If I wasn't blowing my wad on a geology course for one of my own, I'd buy the posters and donate them to the school.

Faith

You should seriously photocopy the book, mark corrections in red, and send it to the school.

:iagree:

This. Definitely this. Maybe you can offer your services as grammar editor prior to the next publication?

My own grammar senses are appalled, and my heart breaks for all those poor little kittens that were tortured and killed.

How about we just pretend it was free-verse poetry? Will that help bring the kittens back? Or will they just be zombie kittens now? I hope not- Sounds like they'd have a hard time finding brains to survive on. :leaving: