Menu

Do you think it would be confusing to do two history eras at the same time?

HappyGrace

This would be for ds9-doing SOTW3 in co-op and then watching his sibling's Veritas Press online Self-Paced 1815-Present at home.

Would that seem too confusing?

I had originally planned to flesh out the SOTW with more historical fiction, etc, at home, but it seems I should take advantage of using the ($$$) VP course.

ETA: Maybe I could have him do a timeline to keep it all straight?

Edited by HappyGrace

Thanks for asking this question! I'm considering the same thing this year. Ds (9) LOVES anything to do with history! He's about to start American history, but dd (12) is going into Renaissance. I KNOW ds is going to want to sit in on these lessons, just not sure how to make it work.

Looking forward to hearing some great tips :)

No, I wouldn't do SOTW4 next yr-it's not my favorite volume anyway.

Maybe I'd do a world cultures or something for 5th grade, and then start in 6th grade with MOH for a couple yrs, not sure.

Grr...now I'm thinking I should just do my original plan of SOTW3 plus additional reading at home. Mainly because I'm thinking he hasn't had much exposure to colonial period and all that; I should prbly just concentrate on doing a good job w/ early Amer this yr and then BUY (again:glare:)the same VP Self-Paced for him to do next yr

No...CM always did this with history...Classical History / Modern Hx.

She also did one day on Old Testament, One day of New Testament and a Day of Church history in a block schedule.

MP does a classical studies track and a modern history track......so does Ambleside Online and Latin-Centered.

I think if you want to try, it would be fine. We do this to a smaller degree....we have one time period we focus on, and then we always throw in myths and legends, bible stories, ancient history etc. into our reading time because we like to.:D

Well no matter what, he should have his literature added in. He's at a fabulous age to do colonial, the explorers, etc., so don't jip that. So no, I would not require him to sit in on your dd's 1815 to modern VP stuff. If he's around and gets enchanted (like my little one does, wants to be in on the action), fine. If not, no biggee. He should be doing the fun stuff that goes with his topics.

No, I don't think two history eras at the same time is confusing for either of my girls. We've been doing this for awhile, though. They actually like it this way. I think they enjoy having different books from different time periods. It keeps things from becoming too repetitive. I agree with Elizabeth (as I often do), I would let your son enjoy his time period and if he catches some interesting material from his sister than this is great too. We watch and read from all types of time periods, because we're trying to create an environment where everything (well, almost everything:lol:...just don't ask my older dd to watch another space/universe dvd) is interesting.