Menu

New to homeschooling and need help!!

kagmypts

Hi!

While my family has considered homeschooling for many years, we have decided that the next year (at the latest) will be the year! We have 3 kids - 8 (3rd grade), 6 (1st grade), and 4 (Pre-K). I am a huge planner, and as I am trying to figure out how to best approach this, I am feeling very overwhelmed! Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Here are some things about us:

We want a traditional, textbook-based curriculum. While we don't necessarily plan to follow the textbook exactly, I know that I will want to use it as a outline to guide us through the year. I would love a textbook series that comes with a teacher guide/tests. While I would love textbooks, I think that online supplemental tools/games would really help motivate my children. They don't use the computer now so learning on the computer would be "fun". We still plan to use traditional writing & problem solving as well!

I am not wedded to a "curriculum in a box". I am happy to choose textbooks from many different publishers to customize a plan that works best for us.

With respect to books, here are some things that I desire. For math, I would like a book that focuses on traditional techniques. I don't need a ton of manipulatives, etc. I just want a solid book that focuses on laying a strong foundation for Algebra, Calculus, etc. For Social Studies and Science, I would prefer a series that focuses on the facts rather than a political agenda. For example, I would much prefer a Science book about the composition of the Earth rather about how man is polluting the planet.

I am open to either a secular or religious based curriculum. Our children our currently in Catholic school and have been exposed to the Catholic faith. At my kids' current school, religion is a separate class as opposed to being woven throughout the entire curriculum, and I am comfortable with that approach. A religious curriculum doesn't have to be Catholic.

Does anybody have any suggestions of some programs and/or books that would be a good fit for our family? Also, are they are any other threads about general advice for families new to homeschooling? Thanks so much!!

ETA - What is the best way to preview a textbook to see if it is a good fit for us?

Edited by kagmypts

Hi!

While my family has considered homeschooling for many years, we have decided that the next year (at the latest) will be the year! We have 3 kids - 8 (3rd grade), 6 (1st grade), and 4 (Pre-K). I am a huge planner, and as I am trying to figure out how to best approach this, I am feeling very overwhelmed! Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome. :-)

Here are some things about us:

We want a traditional, textbook-based curriculum. While we don't necessarily plan to follow the textbook exactly, I know that I will want to use it as a outline to guide us through the year. I would love a textbook series that comes with a teacher guide/tests. While I would love textbooks, I think that online supplemental tools/games would really help motivate my children. They don't use the computer now so learning on the computer would be "fun". We still plan to use traditional writing & problem solving as well!

I am not wedded to a "curriculum in a box". I am happy to choose textbooks from many different publishers to customize a plan that works best for us.

With respect to books, here are some things that I desire. For math, I would like a book that focuses on traditional techniques. I don't need a ton of manipulatives, etc. I just want a solid book that focuses on laying a strong foundation for Algebra, Calculus, etc. For Social Studies and Science, I would prefer a series that focuses on the facts rather than a political agenda. For example, I would much prefer a Science book about the composition of the Earth rather about how man is polluting the planet.

I am open to either a secular or religious based curriculum. Our children our currently in Catholic school and have been exposed to the Catholic faith. At my kids' current school, religion is a separate class as opposed to being woven throughout the entire curriculum, and I am comfortable with that approach. Any religious curriculum don't have to be Catholic.

Does anybody have any suggestions of some programs and/or books that would be a good fit for our family? Also, are they are any other threads about general advice for families new to homeschooling? Thanks so much!!

Mennonite publisher Rod and Staff Publishers has a very traditional approach to math. It is my favorite for that very reason. English, spelling, and science are very good, too; history is pretty good, but personally, I prefer not to use a textbook for history. :-) R&S has wonderful teacher manuals, and all of the books are very reasonably priced. You can get free curriculum samples by calling the publisher at (606) 522-4348. A supplier has put those online, but I like holding things in my hands to look at them. :-)

ETA - What is the best way to preview a textbook to see if it is a good fit for us?

Go to a convention. However, most conventions are over by now, so you may just have to depend on us until next spring. :D It is possible that there's a retail store near you that sells homeschooling books and whatnot.

Thank you so much for all of the responses. I have ordered the Well-Trained Mind, and it is currently on its way to me.

With respect to the Rod & Staff curriculum, thank you for the suggestion! I had never heard of them before. How do you think that compares to Singapore Math? My older two are really strong in math, and I want to keep them challenged.

With respect to the Rod & Staff curriculum, thank you for the suggestion! I had never heard of them before. How do you think that compares to Singapore Math? My older two are really strong in math, and I want to keep them challenged.

You'd have to look at it for yourself. :-)

Singapore makes my eyeballs hurt, lol. I much prefer a traditional math like R&S, but there are many Singapore fans here, so there you go. :-)

Whatever you go with, I think you would probably really like the Usbourne Science Encyclopedia and the Usbourne World History Encyclopedia. They are great books with lots of information, and are connected by page number to internet links. We very much enjoyed exploring the books and links.

Good luck on your search! What a fun time! :D

This forum is a great resource. Search for 3rd grade threads and 1st grade threads on what others are using. Pour yourself a cup of coffee and get comfortable at the computer researching.:)

Products I have used/currently use:

Rod and Staff

Climbing to Good English

Modern Curriculum Press

Math Mammoth

Saxon

Christian Light Education

History Odyssey (no teacher manual)

Easy Grammar

Growing With Grammar

MCT

First Language Lessons/WWE

Good Luck.:001_smile:

Even though it is a workbook I would highly recommentd Horizons for Math for grades 1-3. It lays the material out well, no manipulatives needed, decent number of problems and is colorful enough to engage little ones. After that I would go with Saxon which is a more traditional textbook, it is a very solid curriculum.

Science I would check out Apologia (which can be done for multiple ages and make things easier on you). Apologia does not have tests but you can get notebook journals to go along with them and. Another good program is Real Science 4 Kids, I believe you can get tests to go with those if you feel the need for it.

I was in your exact position last year! I highly recommend attending a HS Convention. This gives yo an opportunity to look at the material in person. Although, you will find a wealth of information on these boards. Welcome and enjoy!

We use a variety of publishers this year--

Science- BJU Press

History-Homeschool in the Woods and some supp. books

Bible Study--Doorposts

Greek Alphabet--Classical Acedemic Press

Handwriting--Reason for Handwriting

Math--BJU Press, Beast Academy

English Languagle Arts--Rod and Staff, KISS

Some Art Sites-http://afaithfulattempt.blogspot.com/

http://www.deepspacesparkle.com/

I suggest you research and research until you feel confident in your decision. Then go for it!! You have to start somewhere, and the path will be full of mistakes. Not everything you choose will be a perfect fit...trial and error.

In addition to R&S and Singapore Math, I would also look at RightStart, Miquon, and MEP.

With MEP, you could print out some pages and get them started while you research.

For grammar, many like R&S English, MCT, or KISS grammar.

We really like Tapestry of Grace and Phonics Road.

Welcome! :001_smile:

Whatever you go with, I think you would probably really like the Usbourne Science Encyclopedia and the Usbourne World History Encyclopedia. They are great books with lots of information, and are connected by page number to internet links. We very much enjoyed exploring the books and links.

Good luck on your search! What a fun time! :D

I have a feeling that we would like them. We have a lot of Usbourne products that we already love!

This forum is a great resource. Search for 3rd grade threads and 1st grade threads on what others are using. Pour yourself a cup of coffee and get comfortable at the computer researching.:)

Products I have used/currently use:

Rod and Staff

Climbing to Good English

Modern Curriculum Press

Math Mammoth

Saxon

Christian Light Education

History Odyssey (no teacher manual)

Easy Grammar

Growing With Grammar

MCT

First Language Lessons/WWE

Good Luck.:001_smile:

Thank you!!!

I was in your exact position last year! I highly recommend attending a HS Convention. This gives yo an opportunity to look at the material in person. Although, you will find a wealth of information on these boards. Welcome and enjoy!

We use a variety of publishers this year--

Science- BJU Press

History-Homeschool in the Woods and some supp. books

Bible Study--Doorposts

Greek Alphabet--Classical Acedemic Press

Handwriting--Reason for Handwriting

Math--BJU Press, Beast Academy

English Languagle Arts--Rod and Staff, KISS

Some Art Sites-http://afaithfulattempt.blogspot.com/

http://www.deepspacesparkle.com/

I suggest you research and research until you feel confident in your decision. Then go for it!! You have to start somewhere, and the path will be full of mistakes. Not everything you choose will be a perfect fit...trial and error.

I wish that there were some conventions soon, but it looks like I will have to wait until at least March.

What math program did you use previously, my kids used Everday Math and we had to go back to 1st grade and reschool them

I am not a fan of Everyday Math although my kids use it now.

In addition to R&S and Singapore Math, I would also look at RightStart, Miquon, and MEP.

With MEP, you could print out some pages and get them started while you research.

For grammar, many like R&S English, MCT, or KISS grammar.

We really like Tapestry of Grace and Phonics Road.

Welcome! :001_smile:

Thank you. I will check those out.

Thanks again for all of the help. I enjoy researching, but it is hard to even find a jumping off point.

This is not curricula advice but, IMO, more important than what program you use to teach xyz.

If you are considering homeschooling I strongly recommend that you use the time from now to then getting your house in order (declutter, organize, and establish storage for school supplies and books), establishing routines for your dc to help with the household chores so that they are second nature by the time you start homeschooling, creating a collection of easy to prepare meal options, and, most importantly of all, eliminate any attitude/behavioral issues any of your dc have.

Have fun planning but remember that the programs you use to help you aren't the teacher, you are. Don't be a slave to the curricula.:D.

What math curriculum do they use at their current school? My suggestion would be that if you're happy with that, they're happy with it, stick with that curriculum if you can find it for sale. Otherwise, I recommend Abeka for traditional math. My son was using this in his Christian school and when we pulled him out several years ago, I continued with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, yada yada. It's important to stick with a math program that's already working. Assuming it is ... :)

I also recommend Growing with Grammar and Soaring with Spelling. http://www.growingwithgrammar.com

Apologia makes nice and simple Christian science textbooks to use with younger ones. I opted to switch to Prentice Hall Science Explorer with my middle schooler this year, though. http://www.apologia.com

For art, we're liking the projects in the book Art Lab: http://www.amazon.com/Art-Lab-Kids-Adventures-Printmaking/dp/1592537650/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346094344&sr=8-1&keywords=art+lab

But definitely read the WTM book! Susan's recommendations were very helpful when we started homeschooling. Keep it simple. Don't become overwhelmed by the curriculum choices out there. If you're happy with certain curriculum at your kids' school, it might be worth continuing with them as you gain more confidence as a homeschooler.

This is not curricula advice but, IMO, more important than what program you use to teach xyz.

If you are considering homeschooling I strongly recommend that you use the time from now to then getting your house in order (declutter, organize, and establish storage for school supplies and books), establishing routines for your dc to help with the household chores so that they are second nature by the time you start homeschooling, creating a collection of easy to prepare meal options, and, most importantly of all, eliminate any attitude/behavioral issues any of your dc have.

Have fun planning but remember that the programs you use to help you aren't the teacher, you are. Don't be a slave to the curricula.:D.

THANK YOU so mush for this advice! We have laid out a plan for each of the things you mention. The kids already have well established "chores" (no reminding needed), and we are working on youngest DS's personality. He can be a real peach. :001_smile: I would be lying if I did not admit that youngest DS is my biggest homeschooling fear.

ETA - I am focusing on the curricula because I need to have some idea of what I think our day will look like. This will help me mentally prepare!

What math curriculum do they use at their current school? My suggestion would be that if you're happy with that, they're happy with it, stick with that curriculum if you can find it for sale. Otherwise, I recommend Abeka for traditional math. My son was using this in his Christian school and when we pulled him out several years ago, I continued with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, yada yada. It's important to stick with a math program that's already working. Assuming it is ... :)

I also recommend Growing with Grammar and Soaring with Spelling. http://www.growingwithgrammar.com

Apologia makes nice and simple Christian science textbooks to use with younger ones. I opted to switch to Prentice Hall Science Explorer with my middle schooler this year, though. http://www.apologia.com

For art, we're liking the projects in the book Art Lab: http://www.amazon.com/Art-Lab-Kids-Adventures-Printmaking/dp/1592537650/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346094344&sr=8-1&keywords=art+lab

But definitely read the WTM book! Susan's recommendations were very helpful when we started homeschooling. Keep it simple. Don't become overwhelmed by the curriculum choices out there. If you're happy with certain curriculum at your kids' school, it might be worth continuing with them as you gain more confidence as a homeschooler.

My oldest is currently using Scott Foresman, and my 1st grader is using Everyday Math.

Edited by kagmypts

I second the recommendation of Growing with Grammar. I am also a huge fan of Math Mammoth which we have been using for a year and a half since I bought the entire grades 1 to 6 Light Blue Curriculum for a 50% discount at Homeschoolbuyersco-op.org. It is on group buy until the end of August, currently 40%, but could go to 50% again.

Homeschoolbuyersco-op also has an updated ebook of Cathy Duffy's Top Picks which could help you sort through your options.

Welcome!

ETA: When looking at Rod & Staff, be sure to check out their preschool workbooks for the 4 year old. They are excellent and very inexpensive.

Edited by abacus2

THANK YOU so mush for this advice! We have laid out plan for each of the things you mention. The kids already have well established "chores" (no reminding needed), and we are working on youngest DS's personality. He can be a real peach. :001_smile: I would be lying if I did not admit that youngest DS is my biggest homeschooling fear.

ETA - I am focusing on the curricula because I need to have some idea of what I think our day will look like. This will help me mentally prepare!

It's good to hear that you acknowledge that your ds's personality could be an issue for homeschooling, AND that you're taking steps to address that before you start homeschooling. I predict homeschooling success for you.:D.

For language arts and math, check out McRuffy Press. My kids LOVE their math. After a year of "grass is greener syndrome" we're back to using McRuffy and it's such a relief. It's a traditional math program. One unique aspect is that it includes a lot of visual-spatial activities using pattern blocks, tangrams, pentominoes, etc.

Here's a great thread about this program: McRuffy Math - give me the good, the bad, the ugly

I've heard some good things about their Language Arts program, too, but haven't personally used it.

Oh, I almost forgot, they also have a science program.