Menu

Took levaquin. Now I'm freaking out. . . .

Holy cr*p.

I took 6 days of Levaquin a little over a week ago - actually, a week ago was my last dose. Then I took one dose of another (I'm forgetting - not a flouroquinolone) antibiotic. The next day, I was horribly sick.

Now, I have this weird muscle weakness in my legs - my quads. I can only be up for about 2 hours before I have to sit down and rest.

I'm reading things - scary things - on the internet. And now I'm worried that I'm damaged for the rest of my life.

Trying not to freak out. It's not working too well.

That is all.

:grouphug:

Is muscle weakness a listed side effect? Try not to panic, okay? Most side effects do go away. I know there are one or two pharmacists on the board; maybe one of them will have more info for you.

Just wanted to offer a hug. I have OCD, so I know what it's like to get freaked out about medication and side effects.

Wendi

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. The side effects of Levaquin are rare and mostly happen if you're a puppy. :lol: And very physically active.

Besides, it is the achilles tendon that is predominantly the problem, and my ballet dancer dd has taken it frequently for sinus infections, WHILE dancing the whole time she was on it. She's never had a problem.

I totally know what you're feeling like. I'm always paranoid of drug side effects. In fact I was just sitting here thinking, "why am I having a bit of an ache in my right side? Maybe the Diflucan I'm taking is causing problems.":lol: Try to chill if you can it is most likely nothing. If it makes you feel better you could call the pharmacist or your Doctor and ask.

Not a medical professional here, but I know Levaquin is a strong drug. The one time I took it, I had a lot of swelling in my extremities... it went away a few days after taking the medicine. I'm sure you'll be just fine. Depending on what you were taking the medicine for (and you don't have to tell us) could it actually be a side effect of recovering from that??

Like Wendi mentioned, I also have OCD and freak out over all things medical, so I get it. I find when I get on the internet, things *always* seem worse. If you're concerned, give your doctor a call Monday, but things are probably just fine. :grouphug:

Like Wendi mentioned, I also have OCD and freak out over all things medical, so I get it. I find when I get on the internet, things *always* seem worse. If you're concerned, give your doctor a call Monday, but things are probably just fine. :grouphug:

:iagree:Oh my yes Google is terrible for anxiety. I have so been there done that.

I had a horribly painful reaction to Tequin, which is in the same drug family as Levaquin, but thankfully, it wasn't permanent -- it really scared me at the time, though, so I know what you're going through. I had terrible tendon pain and it was very scary because apparently those drugs can cause tendons to rupture. :eek: :eek: :eek: I was fortunate that my symptoms went away pretty quickly, but I was very worried at the time.

One thing I wanted to mention -- if you think the Levaquin caused the reaction, remember that from now on, whenever you fill out a medical form, you should mention that you're allergic to Levaquin, Tequin, Floxin, and Cipro. (I think there may also be a few other related drugs, but I can't remember the names. Be sure to mention Cipro, though, because a lot of doctors prescribe that!)

I'm so sorry you are having such a bad reaction. I'm sure you'll be fine, but I totally sympathize with you and understand why you're worried. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I did have a reaction to Cipro. I had tendonitis in my Achilles tendon, but thankfully it never ruptured. There are others here on the board who've had tendon problems due to Cipro.

Your Levaquin problem (if it is the Levaquin) doesn't sound like tendon problems, though. Are you sure you didn't exert those muscles in the past couple of days?

Wendi

One thing I wanted to mention -- if you think the Levaquin caused the reaction, remember that from now on, whenever you fill out a medical form, you should mention that you're allergic to Levaquin, Tequin, Floxin, and Cipro. (I think there may also be a few other related drugs, but I can't remember the names. Be sure to mention Cipro, though, because a lot of doctors prescribe that!)

Thank you - I'm going to write that down and stick it somewhere important!

Your Levaquin problem (if it is the Levaquin) doesn't sound like tendon problems, though. Are you sure you didn't exert those muscles in the past couple of days?

Well, I've literally been lying around for 2 weeks. It feels - in my quads - like I've just run a long, long race and am too tired to walk much. It is minutely better this morning. My research shows tendons to be the biggest problem, but some people report muscle weakness like I have.

I really, really hope it's just from being sick.

I had a horribly painful reaction to Tequin, which is in the same drug family as Levaquin, but thankfully, it wasn't permanent -- it really scared me at the time, though, so I know what you're going through. I had terrible tendon pain and it was very scary because apparently those drugs can cause tendons to rupture. :eek: :eek: :eek: I was fortunate that my symptoms went away pretty quickly, but I was very worried at the time.

I'm so sorry you are having such a bad reaction. I'm sure you'll be fine, but I totally sympathize with you and understand why you're worried. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

:iagree:

I once broke out in hives within minutes of taking Levaquin the first time it was prescribed to me. You should have it documented that you had a reaction to fluroroquinalones in general, rather than naming specific drugs. It will help make sure you aren't just given something different in that same drug class.

Years ago I had a dentist verify I was allergic to codeine and even though I kept telling him and his staff that I'm allergic to ALL narcotics, he still prescribed me a not-well-known narcotic. The pharmacy didn't catch it and DH was *livid* when he realized what had happened. Both the dentist and the pharmacy got chewed out. :D

I would make sure you are not becoming dehydrated. Pains like you describe are common with dehydration.

I've been drinking a TON of liquid. I did get dehydrated on Monday night, though. I'm wondering if it could be just residual from that, or from lying around all week?

I went just to Sunday School this morning. . . . . and I'm back on my comfy chair, but not crazy bad. Maybe on the mend. . . .

After all my research, though, I'm not really sure I want to take any of those flouroquinolones. Ever.

I've been drinking a TON of liquid. I did get dehydrated on Monday night, though. I'm wondering if it could be just residual from that, or from lying around all week?

I went just to Sunday School this morning. . . . . and I'm back on my comfy chair, but not crazy bad. Maybe on the mend. . . .

After all my research, though, I'm not really sure I want to take any of those flouroquinolones. Ever.

If I read about any meds, I don't want to take any of them. The possibilities are too scary, but sometimes we need them. All we can do it our best, and keep on top of the docs.

When I get viral illnesses, I can get very achy quads. Could there be any chance you're dealing with a virus? I think each year the viruses get weirder and last longer.

I had a similar reaction to Levaquin. I took it and woke up with hives in my throat in the middle of the night. It was very scary. It was a while ago and I still have to remember to tell doctors to update my records. I hope that you are feeling better every day.

:iagree:

I once broke out in hives within minutes of taking Levaquin the first time it was prescribed to me. You should have it documented that you had a reaction to fluroroquinalones in general, rather than naming specific drugs. It will help make sure you aren't just given something different in that same drug class.

Years ago I had a dentist verify I was allergic to codeine and even though I kept telling him and his staff that I'm allergic to ALL narcotics, he still prescribed me a not-well-known narcotic. The pharmacy didn't catch it and DH was *livid* when he realized what had happened. Both the dentist and the pharmacy got chewed out. :D