Menu

Ack, there are spelling errors in my MCT!

FairProspects

Yes, the errors in MCT are an ongoing complaint. Granted, most programs have errors of some sort, but usually there is a place to find a list of corrections. I have found a couple errors in Singapore and they were quickly added to the online list.

There is a list for some corrections in MCT, but not all. Even those were added only after numerous requests/complaints. I understand and share your frustration.

Edited by Hilltop Academy

I love the program, but yes, there are definitely errors.

I went through the MoH book in depth to make notes before teaching it, and ballad stanza is defined differently in the main text vs. a section toward the back of the book. I posted it in the RFP forums because I thought I was losing my mind. I'm not a poetry expert, but found it frustrating because the definition didn't make sense to me. MCT noted it was an error that they were unaware of. One of the poems is also supposedly written in a specific meter, and it was in a different meter. Again, I was scratching my head because I'm far from a poetry expert, but I couldn't reconcile what I was seeing with the meter that was supposedly used. When I did a search on the RFP forums, it was an error.

I noticed a capitalization error in the Sentence Island book the other day.

I still love the program, but think it is frustrating errors weren't caught in time for the 2nd edition. I'm not such a poetry expert that I'm 100% confident in my ability, so it is tough for me when I'm scratching my head wondering why something doesn't make sense...only to find out it is an error.

DS1 and I found an error in Singapore 5A today as well. He picked up on it first.

Edited by Momof3littles

Oh no, I haven't even read the poetry books yet! I took enough drama and Shakespeare in college that I will definitely have issues with errors in meter. :sad: The concept of MCT is so creative, but I'm going to have to stay ahead to proof the errors. This is not cool or professional. And definitely not what I expected for a grammar or LA text. :tongue_smilie:

Seriously?!? This is a second edition publication. Shouldn't you have caught these by now if you are marketing as a professional LA product? I am not amused. :glare:

:lol: Spelling errors, definition error (in the vocab book no less), punctuation errors......all of those I could overlook. It was the writing errors in the teaching essays in upper level writing books that pushed me over the edge. Really? Consistent (as in the same error over and over and over again) improper paragraph construction in the essays used to teach students on how to write essays. Yep, too hard to swallow.:tongue_smilie:

Overall, are you happy with that level? I am debating whether or not to continue with MCT.

Yes. This year has been our first experience with MCT-- DS11 is using the Magic Lens level (no writing component) and DS just turned 9 is using the Town level. Previously, DS11 was using Grammarlogues (which we will probably use again just for variety) and DS9 was using R&S 3.

Both boys are extremely happy with grammar and vocabulary so far this year, and I am happy with the results to date. We have completed the initial grammar books, begun the practice books, and are several units into the vocabulary books. I have read the other components (poetics for both, writing for Town level, and a literature level for each-- Time and Search trilogies) and am really looking forward to using them.

Despite the *very* occasional misfire-- the errors are not exactly popping up everywhere-- the program is one of the most exciting things I have run into yet, and I have no trouble recommending it. Seeing an occasional spelling error does not actually bother me as much as it does others. I was raised as the daughter of an English teacher, and we were raised to read a lot and to speak properly, but not to raise eyebrows at others. Mistakes happen. If we spot a mistake, we discuss it and move on, or just fix the error with a pen.

It would be nice if RFWP would issue an errata sheet; most publishers do.

It's funny; I have not checked to see if they correct my pet peeve-- the mistaken impression most people hold that one cannot end a sentence with a preposition! That myth is one of the more persistent ones in the English language, and now I need to go see if Magic Lens addresses it . . . though it could just as easily appear in another volume . . .

That's part of the problem--the known errors are not dealt with in an efficient manner.

Or denied as being a problem at all. :tongue_smilie: I cannot fathom a teacher suggesting that a single introductory sentence followed by a block quote followed by a new paragraph represents correct paragraph development for incorporating a block quote. Yet, MCT himself has asserted it is simply writers' preference.

I completely disagree. It is not writers' preference......not by a long shot. Especially for the grade levels for the targeted instruction, focus on correct paragraph development while incorporating supporting material **is** what writing instruction is all about.

This link http://www.rfwp.com/pages/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/3-pages-one-glance.pdf is a typical representative essay of what is in the upper level writing books. The "paragraphs" (used loosely b/c they are NOT properly developed and supported paragraphs) starting with "Scout notes" and "Worried that" would not/should not be accepted as written and need to be revised.

One of the most critical pieces of writing instruction a student learning to use supporting quotes needs to understand/learn is that quotes support the writer's contention/position. The writer **must** connect/discuss/support their position which the quote only affirms. The quote itself is NOT the argument nor should it provide its own context. That is the writer's responsibility.

This link expounds upon the above explanation. ETA: This is actually a better link. http://writingcenter.unc.edu/handouts/quotations/ Here is another link from the writing center that is excellent. It discusses how arguments need to be developed and how quotes cannot support themselves. It also pts out that if a paragraph ends w/a quote that might be a sign that the writer might not have developed how the quote relates to their argument. (this is not always the case. There are paragraphs where the writer's entire position is detailed prior to the quote. However, that is not the case in MCT's essays.) http://writingcenter.unc.edu/handouts/evidence/

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

Despite the *very* occasional misfire-- the errors are not exactly popping up everywhere-- the program is one of the most exciting things I have run into yet, and I have no trouble recommending it. Seeing an occasional spelling error does not actually bother me as much as it does others. I was raised as the daughter of an English teacher, and we were raised to read a lot and to speak properly, but not to raise eyebrows at others. Mistakes happen. If we spot a mistake, we discuss it and move on, or just fix the error with a pen.

It would be nice if RFWP would issue an errata sheet; most publishers do.

While I agree with this in principle and certainly extend grace to others IRL and on the internet, I do think that the standards are different in professional publishing. Certainly by the second edition I think it is reasonable to expect that errors will have been corrected or an errata sheet published.

I'm also trying to teach my dyslexic who struggles with spelling the importance of proofing and having others read over your work to catch errors, and while he it is nice to teach him that everyone makes mistakes, it doesn't really help my argument that the professional writers of his textbooks don't seem to think spelling errors are important enough to fix. There are times IRL where spelling errors can cost you a job, a grade, or a client and kids need to know this. In fact in my own classroom, I used to deduct an entire letter grade for each spelling error to emphasize the importance of proofreading your work. Granted, this is not a lesson that is essential in the elementary years. :D

As a side note, I have yet to find a single error in a Peace Hill Press book.

ETA: Like I said, I do think MCT has a very creative take on grammar and I will continue to use it despite the errors. I just wish the books had been better edited.

Edited by FairProspects