Menu

Tuition Free Colleges

Mandy in TN

For those of you filling out college applications, don't just apply to the state college down the road, because you don't think that you can afford elsewhere. There are a number of tuition free institutions.

Berea College

Alice Lloyd College

College of the Ozarks

Cooper Union

Webb Institute

and for young men Deep Springs College for the first two years.

These institutions are tuition free. Some honors colleges offer free tuition. With the economy being what it is, I am sure these programs are receiving more applicants making it even more difficult to gain admission than in the past. Sure, they all look like long shots statistically and some have financial requirements, but you won't know until you apply.

My oldest ds received a letter of acceptance from Berea College before Thanksgiving his senior year fall 2009. My 2nd son who on paper had more advanced courses, more dual enrollment courses, and a higher ACT score than his older brother was waitlisted at Berea before being accepted this spring. Based on numbers given at summer orientation, it sounds like their acceptance rate is down to about 12% from nearly 20% a few years ago.

If your family and child meet entrance requirements, it almost seems silly not to at least apply to each of these institutions that will meet your end goal. I don't know about other programs, but Berea has rolling admissions, so the earlier you apply the better.

Mandy

Applying to these schools is one thing and getting in is another. I agree it's worth a try but the more competitive they get the more applications that are different just get tossed. I would recommend a lot of top test scores.

My boys did not have top test scores. Berea also looks at financial need.

From the Berea website:

What does it take to qualify for admission to Berea? A proven record of academic success and financial need. Most of our students come from households with an average income of $50,000 or less, are ranked in the top 20% of their class, and have scored between 20-30 on the ACT (SAT 1410-1980).

HTH-

Mandy

For those of you filling out college applications, don't just apply to the state college down the road, because you don't think that you can afford elsewhere. There are a number of tuition free institutions.

Berea College

Alice Lloyd College

College of the Ozarks

Cooper Union

Webb Institute

and for young men Deep Springs College for the first two years.

These institutions are tuition free. Some honors colleges offer free tuition. With the economy being what it is, I am sure these programs are receiving more applicants making it even more difficult to gain admission than in the past. Sure, they all look like long shots statistically and some have financial requirements, but you won't know until you apply.

My oldest ds received a letter of acceptance from Berea College before Thanksgiving his senior year fall 2009. My 2nd son who on paper had more advanced courses, more dual enrollment courses, and a higher ACT score than his older brother was waitlisted at Berea before being accepted this spring. Based on numbers given at summer orientation, it sounds like their acceptance rate is down to about 12% from nearly 20% a few years ago.

If your family and child meet entrance requirements, it almost seems silly not to at least apply to each of these institutions that will meet your end goal. I don't know about other programs, but Berea has rolling admissions, so the earlier you apply the better.

Mandy

This is awesome information. I had no idea. The Cooper Union one might interest one of mine, who longs for the big city.

My boys did not have top test scores. Berea also looks at financial need.

From the Berea website:

What does it take to qualify for admission to Berea? A proven record of academic success and financial need. Most of our students come from households with an average income of $50,000 or less, are ranked in the top 20% of their class, and have scored between 20-30 on the ACT (SAT 1410-1980).

HTH-

Mandy

Berea look like an interesting school. It's a new name for me.

With an income of $50,000 you might as well go to Harvard. Their Net Price Calculator gives a cost of $4600, with student employment to cover that. And that includes room & board.

http://npc.fas.harvard.edu/

With an income of $50,000 you might as well go to Harvard. Their Net Price Calculator gives a cost of $4600, with student employment to cover that. And that includes room & board.

True, but the acceptance rate is so low that getting in as a cr*p shoot.

An ACT below 33 would not even put one in the running unless one is getting in on a legacy admit. This doesn't even account for the "extraordinary extracurriculars", plus demonstrated leadership qualities, plus......the issue is never affording Harvard, not with their new tuition tiers; it's getting accepted! :001_smile:

Faith

uhh, yeah, my big boys would not have been accepted to Havard. As I said, they didn't do super well on their college testing. They both had some dual enrollment, but nothing spectacular. They had no stand out leadership positions or stunning extracurriculars.

Also, I think the median household income for the state of TN is still below $50,000.

Mandy

True, but the acceptance rate is so low that getting in as a cr*p shoot.

An ACT below 33 would not even put one in the running unless one is getting in on a legacy admit. This doesn't even account for the "extraordinary extracurriculars", plus demonstrated leadership qualities, plus......the issue is never affording Harvard, not with their new tuition tiers; it's getting accepted! :001_smile:

Faith

I'm wondering about legacy admissions. It may be one thing if there is a building named after a family member, but does legacy alone (without deep pocketed giving) enter the equation at the Ivies?

(Sorry OP if I am derailing your thread!)

I'm wondering about legacy admissions. It may be one thing if there is a building named after a family member, but does legacy alone (without deep pocketed giving) enter the equation at the Ivies?

(Sorry OP if I am derailing your thread!)

Well, that's been a controversial topic. Harvard maintains that "legacy" alone is not the tipping point, but then articles put out in their school newspaper, the Crimson, say differently. Here's a link:

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2011/5/11/admissions-fitzsimmons-legacy-legacies/

I can tell you this, legacy can be an issue even in public uni's. In Michigan, it is a fairly well known fact that if you have a parent that graduated from one of the Big 10 schools and you apply to the other Big 10, you have a ding on your application. Seriously, the MSU/U of M rivalry is NOT pretty. Now, that's not absolutely saying the student won't get in, but I've known numerous kids who have applied to the school opposite their parent alma mater and with EXCELLENT stats well beyond a huge pool of applicants that were accepted and were rejected. So, if the state schools have issues with legacy, then I would say that absolutely the Ivies have their own little mess with that too! I know one young man who is attending Standford, but was rejected from U of M and the only possible cause anyone can think of is that his parents both graduated from MSU.

Estimates vary, but the general concensus is that legacy admits at Harvard hover around 30% of total admissions and similarly at Princeton though that estimate, depending on who you believe, has varied from 13% -41%, while Yale maintains that it only admits a very low number of legacies and that this hurts their fundraising...who knows! I've seen so many CRAZY things with college admissions that I think we'd make ourselves NUTS as moms to try to decipher the "code". :D

Faith