Menu

Baby gift ideas needed

It's been many years since I had a little one. My nephew and his wife recently had a little girl. I've never met the wife and we are not close with the nephew (nothing weird, just that they never wanted to be involved in "family" once they were in high school and beyond). According to my sister in law, the baby/mother received "everything they need" from baby showers.

I would like to send a gift but am unable to think of anything that might be an "extra" that they would love. So, if you've had a baby recently and have all the things you "need", what would you love to have as a special treat?

I was considering a package of those cute muslin swaddle blankets (Adyn & Annis?) but think she probably got something like that.

HELP?!?

When I had everything we needed, an aunt gave us personalized "lovies" for the babies. Not practical, not usable, not even educational... But loved dearly by both kiddos. I think she ordered them online somewhere, or had them made locally then shipped to us. Just sweet little stuffed animals with the kiddos' names. When our littlest was born last year, I found myself looking forward to my aunt's signature gift!

Leg Warmers.

If the baby is a summer baby, I wouldn't get the smallest ones. Baby will get the most use out of regular legwarmers. Legwarmers:

--are also awesome for changing diapers (no reason to put pants on-pants off 15 times a day)

--keep baby's legs warm in winter

--make a great fashion statement

--protect knees from carpet burn when baby is crawling across the floor

--are probably not something they received from anyone else

This is my favorite place to purchase baby legwarmers:

http://www.babylegs.com/

You can also make your own baby legwarmers. I've never made them, but there are many tutorials online of how to do this. Some are print and some are video. They don't seem very hard to do.

It's been many years since I had a little one. My nephew and his wife recently had a little girl. I've never met the wife and we are not close with the nephew (nothing weird, just that they never wanted to be involved in "family" once they were in high school and beyond). According to my sister in law, the baby/mother received "everything they need" from baby showers.

I would like to send a gift but am unable to think of anything that might be an "extra" that they would love. So, if you've had a baby recently and have all the things you "need", what would you love to have as a special treat?

I was considering a package of those cute muslin swaddle blankets (Adyn & Annis?) but think she probably got something like that.

HELP?!?

I usually give a copy of Hold on to Your Kids by Dr. Neufeld and a copy of Slow and Steady Get Me ready.

One of my favorite gifts to give are board books. I pick favorite stories available in board books or buy the wonderful multisensory 'That's Not My...' ones from Usborne. They are long lasting, kid friendly, and useful. Even if they don't use them right away, they will soon need a child friendly library.

How about classic books? Like The Complete Poems of Winnie the Pooh (Milne) - which is GREAT to read aloud, and most are short - good for starting a bedtime ritual. Or the Beatrix Potter books...the little hardcover ones...perfect size for a child to hold in their hands (when they are a bit older.)

I love giving books because babies outgrow blankets and outfits, but books can become lifelong friends! Write a sweet little message to baby and parents in the inside cover and you are set to go!