Menu

HOW are you assigning Science Fusion?

Ann@thebeach

I'm trying to implement Science Fusion Grade 5. So far it's a pain in the butt!

After reading all the instructions, I still can't figure out how to just let her sign in and go to an "assigned" lesson. I can type in "Unit 1, lesson 1" but that doesn't take her anywhere KWIM? I wish there was just a list that I could check and assign a date or something.

So for today I just went to the resources section and she watched the first lesson and is now working in the workbook. But there is quite a bit in the workbook for lesson 1 so trying to decide how to split that up. Ideas?

She is slightly below "grade level" for reading and she's having a really hard time reading and comprehending the text. It's a bit dry I guess but not sure if anyone else is thinking this for level 5?

I also went to the guided readers in the teacher section and didn't find one for the first lesson. Is there someplace that tells where to plug the readers into a lesson??

Any other thoughts on implementing this? So far I guess I'm not thrilled with it, hope we get the "hang of it" soon.

Thanks for any tips!

Ann

We will start grade 4 on Wednesday. I wrote out a schedule split into daily chunks of work. It looks like this:

1. Unit 1, Lesson 1 (Watch Digital Lesson and Complete Book pages 1-13)

2. Unit 1, Lesson 1 Review (Book pages 14-16)

3. Unit 1, Lesson 1 Quiz

4. Unit 1, Lesson 2 (Watch Digital Lesson and Complete Book pages 17-23)

5. Pendulum swing

6. Unit 1, Lesson 2 Review (pages 24-26)

7. Pantry Investigation

8. Unit 1, Lesson 2 Quiz

9. Unit 1, Lesson 3 (Watch Digital Lesson and Complete Book pages 27-37)

10. Unit 1, Lesson 3 Review (pages 38-40)

11. Unit 1, Lesson 3 Quiz

So, he will watch the lesson, then read the lesson and complete the questions that are in the body of the text on the first day.

The "review" (end of the lesson questions) part of the lesson will be the second day's work.

We will do science 5 days a week, though, to get through it all.

Maybe the lessons will get more interesting for your daughter soon? I would think that watching the digital lesson first would really help with the comprehension of the worktext.. :)

Today we did most of lesson 1 together and that worked well for her. Part of it was the organization of the text pages that were hard for her to follow. I guess she's used to a more linear format.

I think if I read the text with her that will help her get used to it.

We did watch the video first and will continue to do that.

So I guess I was right and there's not a way to assign things via the web-site that would take her to the lesson. I'm a bit surprised with all the tabs and "add" and "manage" options. Oh well.

Thanks for the tips.

Thanks for posting this. I've just spent a l o n g time trying to navigate the HMH virtual catalogue K-8. It's truly horrible -- difficult to navigate, next impossible to zoom in on easily. So I was wondering if the same group of people designed Science Fusion. Any more comments on how the digital part works?

And what is the workbook like -- decent paper, printing, or cheap seeming?

I just received my password etc and followed the instructions to create a student account for my son. He can now log in to his own account. I'm just starting to dig in to the Guides and Tutorials (off of the home page from teacher loging). I think that you can create assignments from the teacher login which then show up under the student account that they can finish and mark as done. (This seems to include tests). Anyway, as I said, I'm just digging into it now (definitely not intuitive) but maybe there would be something there to help you get what you want. I think I'm going to use their sample lesson assignments, at least for now.

:bigear:

I haven't received my id and password yet since the HSBC sale isn't over. I did find the pacing guides specific to Science Fusion on the HSBC purchase tabs. This one is for 5th grade specifically.

My goal for the year is to try to make as much do the next thing for ds12 as possible. I was thinking I would just print out the pacing guide for each module and let ds12 decide whether he prefers the print or digital version and check off .

Thanks. That should help my 11 yo stay on track as opposed to me asking him where he's at all the time.

Yes, I saw the pacing guide but I was looking for a way to assign the lesson and it would link her to it like other programs I've done. There doesn't seem to be a need to "assign" a lesson because I have to find it for her anyway.

I'm just not thrilled over all so far. I wish I hadn't bought the middle school modules and stuck with Plato for middle school instead. Live and Learn!

So I guess I was right and there's not a way to assign things via the web-site that would take her to the lesson. I'm a bit surprised with all the tabs and "add" and "manage" options. Oh well.

Thanks for the tips.

There is a way to assign. It's just a pain to actually do it. This program is set up for teachers with large classes of kids to manage. So it's worth the effort. For homeschool, just simply log in, open the module and start. For the workbook, follow along the audio or skip it. The workbook content contains tons of new and challenging vocab for dd. The audio is handy for new exposure.

I'm increasing dd's non-fiction reading this year and SF is just the ticket. We love it so far. We are doing Module A: Cells & Heredity

But yes, the program is cumbersome to assign.

OK, another question. Aren't there pre-made tests??

EDITING: The test questions popped up (not sure how but they did) but it's just a printable test. She can't do it on-line. Is this the only option?

I downloaded the test program and it wants me register and I do not want to give all that info. But it doesn't seem I can get any further without doing that.

The download took forever so now I'm worried about how much space that took up-DH will probably not be happy-oops.

Am I missing something with accessing the tests?

Edited by Ann in IA

I'm glad to hear that it's not just me who is having trouble with this. Obviously, I need to spend more time becoming acquainted with the program, but I don't appreciate having to spend HOURS at it.:banghead: I have just about decided to mostly do the workbook and not mess with assigning lessons,etc., but I can't even find a teacher's guide so I can make certain that I'm getting the right answers. I really wish I could just send it back!! :cursing:

Im using the 5th grade one and Module B-- talk about a pain. Ive spent so much time trying to organize lessons and assignments and decided I would do what Beth does-just open and go. My issue is when you go to a Unit there is the digital lesson, then the student resources, teacher resources, module resources, lesson resources. :svengo: So which do you use? Are they all different ways to accomplish the same thing? And I havent even began to figure out how my dc would actually log on? They are students, but that's it. It's a very difficult program to figure out.

Oh- and the pacing guide, I understand what SE/TE mean, but are you supposed to do both? And are the pages assigned in the workbook or the digital workbook? I think Ive confused myself even more. :glare: