Menu

Does anyone have their kids participate in "After School" programs?

Mommyfaithe

Where are these classes located? If at the school, they might be picky about homeschoolers in it. Do they cost anything?

Last school year my dd went to an afterschool program held at the library. They were thrilled to have us included (the only homeschoolers). It was the Read Naturally program. I started as a volunteer and within one week I was "promoted" to being in charge of the Thursday group. Just a few weeks ago I was asked by the director of the program if I wanted to take Thursday's again. I felt bad, but I declined. It was really nice when we did it...but I am so happy to not be commited to that for another 9 months. Of course, I might have felt differently about continuing with it if I didn't have those responsibilities.

Anyway, it doesn't hurt to call and find out.

Yes, mine do. Because I work in one. Mine is in a private school, and P.S kids are bussed over after their school gets out. So we get there and set up around 3:00. The kids get there at 3:30. Then most are gone between 5:30 and 6:00, and we leave at 6:00. I am exhausted, as ours is daily, but this is a job that fits our schedule. There is even a homework time, so my kids bring work that they need to finish, and do it with the other kids. They like that and playing with the kids each day.

I volunteer at a free afterschool program (everyone who "works" there is a volunteer, even the director, any money we get goes to food or crafts or utilities).

Usually we go once a week, and if we lived in town, I would sure send the kids more often, but it is a long drive and gas is expensive. We have several homeschoolers that come regularly (in fact the director and her brother (a regular volunteer) are 20 somethings that were homeschooled).

I know a couple elementary schools here have afterschool programs that they have said are open to homeschoolers. They are generally all volunteer (parent) run. They remind me of a co-op. There is one that is paid and is run by a director and employees. I have no idea if they allow homeschoolers. I don't know of any homeschoolers who took the elementary schools up on their offer.

We haven't done it because my kids are in other kinds of after school activities, such as ballet. I don't think I would send my kid to a parent run afterschool co-op type program. I would be expected to participate etc, and if I want that I will join the homeschooler co-op

All our activities are after school activities. I never considered not participating. Ours are funded through our county community education, so they are independent of the school even though they are held on school grounds and often have public school teachers in charge. Our county 4H office puts on some great after school programs as well.

I tried one and my kids hated it. Hate is not even a strong enough word. I thought for sure they would enjoy it, but no they didn't. I think what they didn't like was that every minute was scheduled with activities they felt they had no choice over. They wanted to do specific things and they were often just forced into whatever slot they were told to go to.

I don't know if all the programs are like that, but yeah, that was the experience here.

GAH!!!! Well, I wouldn't be dependent upon it. If they hate it, they don't have to go. I am looking for some inexpensive fun and social time.....

Our after school activities are classes that we have to sign up for. It's not a daily program.

I guess they do offer aftEr school care, but then I would have to pay for daycare and the activities. If I could send my youngest with my olders, I would seriously consider it one day/week.

Ours is more free flow than that. They do have to go to roll call and snack time/storytime together. They have to do their homework. They have homework folders that their teachers send and we check to see if they have any. Then we have a computer lab and toys and arts and crafts after that. Some days we have movie days and some days we have a P.E. time with a P.E. teacher. But they can always do the computers or toys if they are not into the other activities. My kids love it. They get to do their homework with other kids and have made friends, even though the year just started. It is a challenge since we have a big age range, but so far so good.

One of the biggest complaints I have about ours is that it isn't scheduled enough. (of course it doesn't bother me enough that I feel like stepping up and helping anymore then I do ;)) I think making sure everyone gets homework done would be very helpful, but is hit or miss.

Except for snack and clean up, everything is open. Ours is at a non profit skating rink (and food pantry/pregnancy center/church). The kids can skate ( or rollerblade, skateboard, scooter, ripstick whatever), or we play games like soccer or hockey or capture the flag or tag on the rink floor. There is usually a craft out and we have a woman who does pottery once a week. Board games are an option too.

We go for fun, but my older kids are getting too old. Not that they couldn't come with me, but that maybe it isn't the best place for us to spend our time. (we will take little brothers and sisters if it works out okay, but 4 is about as young as we regularly let kids come)