Menu

Ballet moms!

Newb needs advice here.

We enrolled our just-turned-11 year old daughter in ballet. After asking a few questions and seeing her, they decided to start her in intermediate (I assume because of her age). I know nothing about ballet schools; so my question to you all is this - what makes a good ballet studio? I know that on their website they say "you will never see a combo class here for the over 4 crowd" and "at this studio we do not put 8 and 9 year olds en pointe", etc. I will add that there seems to be some competition here between the studios. Lol.

We're aware that our daughter may never go far in this (considering her age and late start), but she badly wants to try, so we want to make sure she has every advantage as far as studios and instructors go.

So, again, what makes a good studio and instructor? What should I be on the lookout for, as far as "bad" goes?

Hmm. well, my sons have only danced at one studio and it is a classical ballet school, so I don't have a lot of comparison. And, what I say makes it "good" doesn't make it good for someone else.

I like professionally trained teachers. I wouldn't want my first or second year learning from a teenager. In my sons's school all the teachers have extensive training in dance education and their cv is up on the website. Now, if a teacher was ill, I can imagine one of the much older students taking over for a day or two. That wouldn't bother me.

I prefer a bigger school with more than one teacher, but that is a luxury many people don't have.

I don't like lots of surprise expenses.

I personally prefer they learn ballet at a studio that only teaches ballet. Again, that is a luxury many don't have.

I am interesting in seeing what other people say.

That's where we are!!!

The owners/teachers were professionally trained and professional dancers. They take very seriously training and supporting the dancers. They are also realistic that most will not be professionals, but they train them as if they will be, which I mean to say they are acceptung of all body types and work to make sure no student lacks attention and training just because they won't be going on to college/professional dancing. We have been in 3 Nutcracker performances and it really is fun and well done. I've taken classes from Merry and I just love both of them and the school so much. I'm glad I chose them years ago because another pre-pro school is very focused on body types and picks the girls out early. My dd would have been picked, but to have pressure so young is NOT what I wanted for her at all. She is great at dance, but music will be her future I think.

BTW, lots of homeschoolers go there:)

What days/classes are you all in?

Edited by JenC3

The owners/teachers were professionally trained and professional dancers. They take very seriously training and supporting the dancers. They are also realistic that most will not be professionals, but they train them as if they will be, which I mean to say they are acceptung of all body types and work to make sure no student lacks attention and training just because they won't be going on to college/professional dancing. We have been in 3 Nutcracker performances and it really is fun and well done. I've taken classes from Merry and I just love both of them and the school so much. I'm glad I chose them years ago because another pre-pro school is very focused on body types and picks the girls out early. My dd would have been picked, but to have pressure so young is NOT what I wanted for her at all. She is great at dance, but music will be her future I think.

BTW, lots of homeschoolers go there:)

What days/classes are you all in?

Great to hear.

Intermediate I, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:30 - 6:30. The receptionist said that older girls in this level tend to move up more quickly?

Autumn DOES seem to have a body for it; but she is much older than most girls who start, so we hold no real expectations of her making it professionally. Lol. The kicker for us on Greenville's website was that they said a main focus is the FUN of dance; we love that.

My dd is a professional ballerina and I danced ballet through college.

Signs of a good ballet studio:

1. Classes devoted to ballet with a syllabus, method and exams to advance students. The school should be able to tell you whether they are Vaganova, Checchetti, Balanchine, Royal Academy of the Dance (RAD), Bournonville, or Paris Opera House/French.

2. A sprung floor with marley covering. Anything less will guarantee injuries. Wood over concrete is not a sprung floor.

3. A live accompanist. The best ballet schools have live music, not a CD.

4. A dress code. Generally pink tights, black leo, hair in a bun. No exceptions. Children not appropriately dressed will not be allowed to participate in class. Younger classes sometimes have different colored leos, and if they're RAD or Vaganova, they will wear white socks instead of pink tights, but there should no exceptions for the hair. Studios that allow girls to wear ponytails or any other style of hair other than a ballet bun are not serious classical ballet studios.

5. A teacher who has experience, generally professional, and who will actively correct and physically move your child's body. A good ballet teacher WILL touch your child and align her body correctly. A bad teacher will sit on a stool and shout general corrections to the entire class.

6. Individual and frequent corrections. A child SHOULD hear the teacher singling them out in class and telling them what they're doing wrong and how to fix it. "Suzie, point your toes. Annie, stretch that knee. Megan, tuck those hips. Amy, suck in your stomach." Corrections should be constant and good form should be emphasized.

7. No competitions. The only competition that ballet students should even be in is YAGP. http://www.yagp.org/ Artistic directors of serious classical ballet companies aren't interested in the weekly competitions you see on programs like "Dance Moms". They have their place, but a serious ballet studio will never be involved in them. Here are some videos of this year's YAGP winners to give you an idea of what a real dance competition involves.

Here are some examples of serious ballet students in class:

JKO school for ABT in NYC:

Vaganova Academy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVuAZLBE8a8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pzRHV-V0Ts&feature=related

8. The school should encourage attendance at a summer intensive at a major ballet company school. These are generally a four to six week session in the summer where the student boards at the school and dances all day long. They should also encourage students to audition for as many summer intensives as they can.

Here are some clips from SIs at major companies:

(SF Ballet)

(SAB in NYC The teacher is Suki Shorer who danced with Mr. B. and taught me in a summer intensive and also taught my dd when she went to an SI there. That was so much fun!!) Watch how actively Suki corrects the students and physically touches them. This is a sign of an amazing teacher...and she is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xee1ZEylyec&feature=relmfu (More of Suki's class, because she is such an great example of an excellent teacher.)

Hope this helps!!! We are a ballet loving family here. In fact, my dd is in company class right this minute. LOL

Edited by DianeW88

GB has everything, but a live accompanist. They are so expensive and hard to come by. I had one growing up and it was a joy. There are also no competitions. The Greenville Jazz has a competitive side, but GB does not do things like that.

Well I will see you T/TR, dd has Intermediate I and on Mon performance and Intermediate 2. Your dd will move up next year for sure and yes older girls can do well quickly!

Also, 10 is not too old by any means. There is a homeschool student who started at 11 and seriously is wonderful. She was Clara 2 yrs ago.

Edited by JenC3

I personally know nothing about ballet, but the director of dd's studio "tests" every new student who wants to take a ballet class (anything above "creative movement"). She is looking for specific things in their knees, ankles, etc. Can they keep their knee straight while doing this movement, etc. Those are the things she looks for, and ALL the teachers look for when assigning level placement - for new and current students.

I see this as most important because they are truly looking out for the physical welfare of their students. So many kids go through ballet classes and end up with ruined knees and feet because the technique was not taught and monitored properly and students were allowed to progress even when they were not physically ready.

I think Dianne has an awesome list. I would want to also include that the school goal must meet you and your DD's goals. For example, if your DD is never going to devote 9+ hours of dance training a week, is there a place for her at the school? If your DD is wanting to learn ballet primarily to help with confidence, poise, or just to have fun, is there a place for her? And if your DD is wanting to learn ballet only to help with other genres of dance, is there a place for her?

Around here there are either ballet pre-professional/professional schools or way-out-there, all genres competition dance studios. My DD is mainly a theater rat who also happens to take about 9 hours of dance instruction a week. But because she does all genres of dance, finding a school which could meet her ballet needs on a less than pre-professional basis, yet still teach excellent technique to the greatest extent possible, was very hard. And we ended up just lucking into a great, fun teacher.

We also struggled with finding a school that would allow extended periods of absences while DD is performing in shows. It is a group sport and difficult to constantly change choreography based on who shows up or not. Our DD has to take private lessons to keep up with the group during her long absences. Your DD may have the same needs if she has other interests besides ballet.

So if one could find a school close to Dianne's list, with added flexibility for the kiddos with other interests, then one has found the perfect school.

:)

Is "Intermediate" an ability level or an age grouping?

I would be VERY concerned about a school that put a never-before-had-ballet student in a Intermediate level. (Possible exception would be if she was switching from high-level competitive gymnastics.)

If she is in class with students who have had several years of good ballet training, she is not going to be anywhere near their ability level. She will either be frustrated because she doesn't know what she's doing or she may be able to follow along but her technique might not be correct. OR the class will be held back while she catches up- time will be wasted while the teacher works with her. That is tremendously unfair to the other students int he class.

Also, if the Intermediate class is beginning pointework, and she has never had ballet before, I would be very concerned. She will not have the strength and technique needed for pointe. She will look awkward at best, and do irreparable damage at worst.

If "Intermediate" is just the name they give to all middle-school aged classes, then no big deal, assuming she is also in class with beginners.

I'm not sure if it is skill level or age, but she has had dance instruction before (and the studio is aware of that); random years of pre ballet, tap, a bit of gym when she was younger (and she can tumble very well/is very flexible). They told me that while many of the girls in Intermediate have experience in ballet, they also have older girls that they have had no previous instruction in specifically ballet and that they are instructed accordingly but that they tend to progress quickly and with the class.

Intermediate, at this studio, is not beginning pointe work.

Is "Intermediate" an ability level or an age grouping?

I would be VERY concerned about a school that put a never-before-had-ballet student in a Intermediate level. (Possible exception would be if she was switching from high-level competitive gymnastics.)

If she is in class with students who have had several years of good ballet training, she is not going to be anywhere near their ability level. She will either be frustrated because she doesn't know what she's doing or she may be able to follow along but her technique might not be correct. OR the class will be held back while she catches up- time will be wasted while the teacher works with her. That is tremendously unfair to the other students int he class.

Also, if the Intermediate class is beginning pointework, and she has never had ballet before, I would be very concerned. She will not have the strength and technique needed for pointe. She will look awkward at best, and do irreparable damage at worst.

If "Intermediate" is just the name they give to all middle-school aged classes, then no big deal, assuming she is also in class with beginners.

I'm finding this thread to be interesting because my 5 year old dd loves ballet and is now beginning her second year. We live in a rural state and don't have nearly as many options available. This is the studio that we have chosen, mostly because of location and reputation. I would love it if anyone who has any experience could look at the site and let me know if you think this looks like a good studio.

I'd like to add that I know nothing about ballet and that while we really enjoyed dd's class last year, it was a 3 and 4 year old class so I doubt that it was much of a representation of what the actual ballet classes will look like.

I'm finding this thread to be interesting because my 5 year old dd loves ballet and is now beginning her second year. We live in a rural state and don't have nearly as many options available. This is the studio that we have chosen, mostly because of location and reputation. I would love it if anyone who has any experience could look at the site and let me know if you think this looks like a good studio.

I'd like to add that I know nothing about ballet and that while we really enjoyed dd's class last year, it was a 3 and 4 year old class so I doubt that it was much of a representation of what the actual ballet classes will look like.

The school looks to be adequate for young dancers and older dancers who aren't necessarily interested in a career as a professional ballet dancer. They are teaching ballet by a recognized method (RAD) and the ballet teacher seems to be trained. However, looking at their schedule, I'm noticing that the classes are a ballet/tap combo and they only last an hour. A traditional ballet class is an hour and a half and anything less than that will not provide sufficient instruction...at least beyond the beginning level. Students won't receive the necessary time either at the barre or in center. Barre should be 45 minutes in order to properly warm up and train the muscles. In a hour class, if barre is does correctly, that leaves only 15 minutes for center work. You won't get much accomplished that way.

Also make sure that a true classical ballet class is not being given to children under the age of 8. Young children will not be able to engage the proper muscles to do the exercises correctly, which will result in injuries, overdevelopment of the wrong muscles and horrendous habits that another teacher will have to spend years trying to correct. My dd teaches ballet at the company school in addition to her dancing, and she says her children who have started ballet between the ages of three and five are much worse dancers than her girls who started at ten.

Young dancers should be involved in a "movement and music" class where they just have fun and there is no pressure to do the type of disciplined, structured exercises you see in a classical ballet class. For young children, dance should be a joyous expression of movement with the focus on fun. Often times, you'll see princess costumes, boas, tiaras, and other imaginative props, so that the preschoolers can "be a butterfly", "move like a princess", etc. It should be free form and the child should never be forced to move her body in a certain way...particularly if that movement is difficult for her and she has to "cheat" it.

I think you should let your dd try the program and she what she thinks. If she has fun and enjoys it, that's what is most important. You as a mom will be able to determine a lot about the school simply by observation....it's amazing what a mom can pick up on, trained in dance or not. The school looks well run from their website, but of course, that's something you would have to determine in person. If they're instilling a love of dance, with no pressure at a young age to do more than learn to enjoy it, then it's a good place for a young girl to be. :)

Oh, and another heads up: Ballet dancers DO NOT wear underwear under their tights and leos. LOL It's amazing how many students have to be told and corrected on this...especially in the younger classes. Or, as my dd's male ballet teacher used to say to the little ones, "Lose the panties, girls!" :D

Edited by DianeW88

The school looks to be adequate for young dancers and older dancers who aren't necessarily interested in a career as a professional ballet dancer. They are teaching ballet by a recognized method (RAD) and the ballet teacher seems to be trained. However, looking at their schedule, I'm noticing that the classes are a ballet/tap combo and they only last an hour. A traditional ballet class is an hour and a half and anything less than that will not provide sufficient instruction...at least beyond the beginning level. Students won't receive the necessary time either at the barre or in center. Barre should be 45 minutes in order to properly warm up and train the muscles. In a hour class, if barre is does correctly, that leaves only 15 minutes for center work. You won't get much accomplished that way.

Also make sure that a true classical ballet class is not being given to children under the age of 8. Young children will not be able to engage the proper muscles to do the exercises correctly, which will result in injuries, overdevelopment of the wrong muscles and horrendous habits that another teacher will have to spend years trying to correct. My dd teaches ballet at the company school in addition to her dancing, and she says her children who have started ballet between the ages of three and five are much worse dancers than her girls who started at ten.

Young dancers should be involved in a "movement and music" class where they just have fun and there is no pressure to do the type of disciplined, structured exercises you see in a classical ballet class. For young children, dance should be a joyous expression of movement with the focus on fun. Often times, you'll see princess costumes, boas, tiaras, and other imaginative props, so that the preschoolers can "be a butterfly", "move like a princess", etc. It should be free form and the child should never be forced to move her body in a certain way...particularly if that movement is difficult for her and she has to "cheat" it.

I think you should let your dd try the program and she what she thinks. If she has fun and enjoys it, that's what is most important. You as a mom will be able to determine a lot about the school simply by observation....it's amazing what a mom can pick up on, trained in dance or not. The school looks well run from their website, but of course, that's something you would have to determine in person. If they're instilling a love of dance, with no pressure at a young age to do more than learn to enjoy it, then it's a good place for a young girl to be. :)

Oh, and another heads up: Ballet dancers DO NOT wear underwear under their tights and leos. LOL It's amazing how many students have to be told and corrected on this...especially in the younger classes. Or, as my dd's male ballet teacher used to say to the little ones, "Lose the panties, girls!" :D

I did NOT know the underwear rule. Thanks! Lol. Autumn would be mortified if she were told to lose her panties by a teacher - better to know now!

I did NOT know the underwear rule. Thanks! Lol. Autumn would be mortified if she were told to lose her panties by a teacher - better to know now!

Our more casual school also requests no undies... but if you have a child (of any age- I will not embarrass anyone who may or may not be my daughter :D) who insists on wearing undies under her tights/leo: get close-fitting high-cut ones in beige or light pink. They won't show, other than there being pantylines. I giggle when I see fluffy little tutus walking by with saggybaggy character-printed undies hanging out below the leotard and squashed under the tights. :tongue_smilie:

Our more casual school also requests no undies... but if you have a child (of any age- I will not embarrass anyone who may or may not be my daughter :D) who insists on wearing undies under her tights/leo: get close-fitting high-cut ones in beige or light pink. They won't show, other than there being pantylines. I giggle when I see fluffy little tutus walking by with saggybaggy character-printed undies hanging out below the leotard and squashed under the tights. :tongue_smilie:

Yes, and then they prance around doing the "wedgie dance" trying to loosen said character underwear from their little bottoms. :lol: Panties under tights are unsightly and obvious to everyone after the first set of plies at the barre, and since my dd's dance teacher was male, he would always say, "Girls, nobody wants to see that!" Then he'd do his spastic version of the wedgie dance. They got the message.

Another funny about a newbie ballet dad. My dd and several other professional dancers were guesting this past December in the Nutcracker with a local youth ballet. One of the dads was assisting backstage, but had no concept of the "dressing area"...a small area, outlined with tape, just beyond the curtain in the wings. He was standing right there, when my dd and the other professional ballerinas came off stage and quickly stripped out of their tutus for their less than two minute change. He was like :blink:. Poor man, it caught him completely off guard. :lol:

Thanks so much for your feedback! Dd does in fact hope to be a professional ballerina, but since she is a newly-turned 5 year old, I think we'll just have to wait and see. ;) I *think* that most of the combo classes are for the little kids and that once you are 1st grade, you can then take a ballet only class. Dd's class is called ballet and tap, but I am quite sure that most of the ballet is creative movement. Maybe after this year I will do some more research to see what is available in our area.

Thanks again!

ETA: Oh, and I had NO idea about the underwear thing! Thanks for sharing. :)