Menu

Little House study with a 1st grader -- thoughts?

alisoncooks

A couple of weeks ago we finished up Little House in the Big Woods with my 4 and 6 year olds, and now we're a couple of chapters into Little House on the Prairie.

Since my 6 yr. old is fascinated by it all, I think we're going to continue reading these books and add in some hands-on activities. Basically a year-long unit study on the series.

Anyone done something similar with this age? I know there are some issues with the later books being depressing? or mature? IDK, I've not read past LHotP myself.... Things I should be on the lookout for?

We're planning on doing US history/colonial life in a couple of years, so this year will just be focused on pioneers/wagon trail type stuff, as it relates to the books.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions welcome! Thanks!

They have several "Little House" books to flesh it out, like a cookbook, a book of crafts and some paper dolls of Laura and Mary, if I recall correctly. The actual Prairie Primer the PP listed would probably be too much at your children's ages, but you can add picture books about prairies, weather, etc. You can even download a version of The Oregon Trail and let them play with help. You can also get a CD and listen to the music from that time period.

I don't believe there are any mature themes, though The Long Winter is just that, and the family nearly starves. Even the courtship of Almanzo and Laura is pretty tame in These Happy Golden Years.

Thanks for the feedback.

I actually already have all my resources mapped out -- sorry I didn't make that part clear.:tongue_smilie:

I moreso asking if anyone has done this with a younger child and found it to be age-appropriate or too much? Just right? What are the scenes/content to look for in the later books that might be *too much* for younger audiences (4 and 6).

Thanks! :)

We have only read Farmer Boy, Big Woods and started on LHOTP. I can't say the rest of the books will be like this, and it may not even be an issue for your kiddlets......... but my dd would zone out when Laura would give her long winded (wonderful I might add) descriptions of how things were done/made. They are so detailed that given the right equipment you could do it yourself! She loves the story otherwise, but I decided to stop the reading for a little while till she can find the awesomeness of those details, and not leave planet earth while I am reading them to her. :D She is 7.

Oh, I got very upset with Ma when she told the girls to go ask their aunt which of them was the prettiest. Can you imagine! But no other issues that I can point out.

Oh, I got very upset with Ma when she told the girls to go ask their aunt which of them was the prettiest. Can you imagine! But no other issues that I can point out.

I didn't have a problem with it, I figured Ma already knew their aunt was going to say she liked both best.

Ah, yes....we read that part a couple of weeks ago (Big Woods).

Since all 3 of us -- me and my 2 girls -- are brunettes, we felt oddly pleased when Laura smacks Mary one. :D

Ah, yes....we read that part a couple of weeks ago (Big Woods).

Since all 3 of us -- me and my 2 girls -- are brunettes, we felt oddly pleased when Laura smacks Mary one. :D

Hehe!

I also thought Mary needed a little punishing too! Cruel words hurt as much as a fist, and are worthy of discipline.

It was a discussion moment for dd and myself anyway. :D

We are almost done with the series. Yesterday we started The First Four Years. I was hesitant to do that one with a 6 yr old, but my dd was just so incredibly eager for it that I decided to give it a try. She has just LOVED every single title. As soon as we finish one as a read aloud, she takes it aways to read it on her own over and over again. So, I would just take the plunge and stop if you ever feel that the themes are inappropriate. I was surprised by how much my dc like even the later books in the series, though.

We are almost done with the series. Yesterday we started The First Four Years. I was hesitant to do that one with a 6 yr old, but my dd was just so incredibly eager for it that I decided to give it a try. She has just LOVED every single title. As soon as we finish one as a read aloud, she takes it aways to read it on her own over and over again. So, I would just take the plunge and stop if you ever feel that the themes are inappropriate. I was surprised by how much my dc like even the later books in the series, though.

The First Four Years would be my hesitation. I think the children could handle it more easily than myself; I was just so sad after reading it at the library last year. The little ones don't understand the significance of some of the events [spoiler ALERT!!]: they lose their first house, the second has a terrible fire, Laura seems disillusioned with her husband, childless neighbors beg her to give them her first baby, she loses a baby: the small ones don't really understand what these things portend ... if YOU are okay with it, give it a whirl!

Back when I taught school, I did a 6 week, 12 (one hour) session enrichment class with second graders. We read LHOTP and did activities related to it.

It was great fun, and they did really well! We made a quilt block (they didn't want to put the quilt together, because they were so possessive of their own sewing...), built small log houses with Lincoln Logs (they had to use clay to chink the logs and plan out the floorplan), cooked (something--maybe butter? Can't remember), did a vocab sheet or two, had some discussions, and actually read aloud during the hour--which used a lot of time. They read several chapters a week at home for homework (or had parents read it to them, either partially or wholly, depending on their skill level).

It sounds like you will have a blast!

Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind sharing, what resources are you using?

It sounds like you will have a blast!

Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind sharing, what resources are you using?

Thanks! We're looking forward to it. When I told DD that I was contemplating this plan, her face lit up like Christmas! :hurray:

We are using:

1. the 9 LH books (obviously :p)

2. Little House in the Classroom ~ Christine Hackett (*taking a chance on this - no preview*)

3. A Pioneer Sampler: The Daily Life of a Pioneer Family in 1840 ~ Barbara Greenwood (*got this mainly for the illustrations & crafts*)

4. The World of Little House ~ Carolyn Strom Collins

I was able to purchase most of these fairly cheaply (used) on Amazon, though I've not seen them 1st-hand (just previewed online). I also have found a few maps, coloring pages, etc. online that I'll be using. Crayola has a pattern for making a covered wagon from a shoe box that looks right up our alley... :D