Menu

How does bacteria (listeria and salmonella) get inside cantelope?

I just read that salmonella can be found inside cantelope. I don't understand how this happens. I understand contaminants from fields or packing plants being on the outside where you can wash them off, but the article said it was on the inside. How does this happen? Is it in the soil and the cantelope asborb it? BUt the listeria outbreak last summer was from a packing plant, right? :confused: Does this happen with other fruits and vegetables--ie can the bacteria get below the surface where it can't be washed off?

I thought it was just from the process of cutting it open.

That's what I thought all my life, but this says differently:

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2012/08/17/cantaloupes-linked-to-deadly-multi-state-salmonella-outbreak/?hpt=hp_bn12

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/CORENetwork/ucm315879.htm

Still :confused: I always thought if I washed the melon well before slicing it, that it would be safe. I love cantelope!

My guess is that they were watered with contaminated water and that water, along with the bacteria, was absorbed by the plant. That is the only way I could see it happening and I don't even know if that is possible, just my conjecture based on the only possible way it could happen inside a fruit.

I'm not sure about listeria, but I do know a bit about salmonella. The reason fruits and vegetables are now being contaminated with salmonella is due to contact with animal carcasses or feces. Contaminated irrigation water, manure, run-off water from animal agribusiness farms, etc. are able to find their way to fruits and vegetables. Since most animal agribusiness farms do not allow the animals to graze and they are kept in filthy conditions (especially living in very close quarters and surrounded by feces), things like salmonella are highly prevalent.

Oh, mercy! I thought I was keep my family safe by washing the outsides of melons well.

This is not helpful for my germaphobic tendencies...:tongue_smilie:

I know! I don't consider myself a germaphobe, but I do reasonable things like make sure the chicken is cooked to the right temp, that the ground beef is well done, and that my fruits and veges are washed. Not sure what to make of this new (to me) information. I certainly don't want to stop eating cantelope or any other fruit!

I'm not sure about listeria, but I do know a bit about salmonella. The reason fruits and vegetables are now being contaminated with salmonella is due to contact with animal carcasses or feces. Contaminated irrigation water, manure, run-off water from animal agribusiness farms, etc. are able to find their way to fruits and vegetables. Since most animal agribusiness farms do not allow the animals to graze and they are kept in filthy conditions (especially living in very close quarters and surrounded by feces), things like salmonella are highly prevalent.

In my family, we seldom eat any animal products. We've made that decision primarily for health reasons, but what's quoted above is another reason I don't like to support mass production of animal products.

I know! I don't consider myself a germaphobe, but I do reasonable things like make sure the chicken is cooked to the right temp, that the ground beef is well done, and that my fruits and veges are washed. Not sure what to make of this new (to me) information. I certainly don't want to stop eating cantelope or any other fruit!

The question becomes ... how can we protect our families from this contamination on our fresh fruits and veggies? What are reasonable precautions, and what's over the top? (Not that I would ever be "over the top" or anything.:D)

The question becomes ... how can we protect our families from this contamination on our fresh fruits and veggies? What are reasonable precautions, and what's over the top? (Not that I would ever be "over the top" or anything.:D)

Grow your own or buy from small, local farmers. Refuse to support big agribusiness companies that put the almighty dollar before the health and safety of their customers.

My guess is that they were watered with contaminated water and that water, along with the bacteria, was absorbed by the plant. That is the only way I could see it happening and I don't even know if that is possible, just my conjecture based on the only possible way it could happen inside a fruit.

Remember that outbreak of E. coli contaminated spinach a few years back? I remember reports saying the E. coli was actually inside the spinach and that washing it wouldn't do anything. I believe the same thing happened--the plants were watered with contaminated water.

The question becomes ... how can we protect our families from this contamination on our fresh fruits and veggies? What are reasonable precautions, and what's over the top?
You might want to check into locally grown, in-season produce. I am not sure it would prevent all contamination, but it is a good way to get away from big-agri companies.

Yup, last year when "Rocky Ford" melons were implicated, I just went off cantaloupe altogether, although they are one of my favorite tastes of summer. Yummmm. The name Rocky Ford wasn't trademarked (is it now?) and Jensen Farms was using the name although they weren't right there in the Rocky Ford area. Gave all the Rocky Ford melons a bad name.

This year, we're eating a Rocky Ford melon or two a week. I always scrub the outside with a mix of grapefruit seed extract and water so that I am not pushing germs in when I cut. I figure also that they are being extra careful to have clean as possible melons from Rocky Ford since they are rebuilding their reputation that Jensen Farms tarnished last year.

Now, we're on a road trip to the midwest. We're going to hold off on cantaloupe while we're out here.

Yes, contaminated soil or water can grow the germs right into the melon.

I guess you could grow your own -- keep the neighbor's cat out of the garden though since it's not a litter box!

Oh, and while I love sprouts, we don't eat them. It's the same problem of how to kill germs that are inherently IN the plants, sometimes coming from the seed the sprout came from! Even homegrown sprouts are at risk from the conditions (wet and warm) that they grow in. So, no sprouts.

I haven't read the whole thread but I skimmed. I am cibophobic and ridiculously overzealous with food safety. In my home we would only purchase cantaloupe from an organic farmer who we know only grows fruits/vegetables on his property. Even then, it's very rare for us to have a cantaloupe.

It is my understanding that the main problem is that the cantaloupe grows on the ground. If the cantaloupe is grown on a farm where there are also animals, their feces gets washed along the ground by rain and therefore contaminates the soil. The problem with cantaloupe (as opposed to other melons, like watermelon) is that the skin is porous and absorbs the ground water. Therefore, you can't wash it off. Whereas with a watermelon, you can wash the bacteria off of the outside of the melon.

Hope that helps.

Edited by MiniBlondes

I haven't read the whole thread but I skimmed. I am cibophobic and ridiculously overzealous with food safety. In my home we would only purchase cantaloupe from an organic farmer who we know only grows fruits/vegetables on his property. Even then, it's very rare for us to have a cantaloupe.

It is my understanding that the main problem is that the cantaloupe grows on the ground. If the cantaloupe is grown on a farm where there are also animals, their feces gets washed along the ground by rain and therefore contaminates the soil. The problem with cantaloupe (as opposed to other melons, like watermelon) is that the skin is porous and absorbs the ground water. Therefore, you can't wash it off. Whereas with a watermelon, you can wash the bacteria off of the outside of the melon.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. So it's the nature of the rind that's the problem, then. <sigh> but I"m glad I don't have to be concerned about watermelon!

This type of contamination can happen with a lot of different fruits and veggies. Strawberries, all types of lettuce, spinach, celery, cabbage, and others are especially susceptible, but contamination can occur with any kind of produce that is growing in contaminated soil or is watered with contaminated water. It gets inside the plant, therefore contaminating the produce.

Farms that also raise animals or have animals nearby are especially vulnerable. Farms where manure is used to fertilize are also running a risk.

Listeria can also be present in lunchmeat...especially hot dogs, soft cheeses and unpasteurized dairy products.

Pregnant women should avoid all foods that could possibly be contaminated with Listeria, because the fetal death rate is very high if the mother contracts it.

The only way to know for sure if your produce isn't contaminated is to grow it yourself. Even local farms may use "secondary water" which is not treated and can contain e-coli and other harmful bacteria and pathogens. Where I live, secondary water is used for watering lawns (it's free) and they always remind people NOT to fill up a child's swimming pool or let them play in a sprinkler using secondary water. We live below the county canal and all our water is city water...and we're charged an arm and a leg for it. Most farms use secondary water to water their crops if it's available.

Also, if you have a farm and your neighbor has cattle or other animals near your crops, the water run-off can contaminate your produce.

You need to be really vigilant these days and be aware where your food is grown and how it's treated. Buying organic does not protect you from these foodborne illnesses. Manure is organic.

Having said that, I really don't think people need to panic. I just had a 1/4 of a cantaloupe for breakfast and plan to have more later. I refuse to live in fear of my food. :D

Here's a couple links: http://udel.edu/~kniel/VirtualFarm/vfprod.html

http://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/facts.html

Edited by DianeW88

I didn't know either, but your post clicked when I heard a blurb on the news yesterday about a cantaloupe recall so thanks! I had 3 cantaloupes sitting in my fridge because my kids love them - including my 10 month old baby. It turns out we're in the area where we need to check. Thanks for helping me keep my family safe! :)