Menu

Uh oh.... Our cat is afraid of mice!

At some point today the back door was left open and a mouse got into our house. We'd known he was on the back porch for a couple of days, so I'm not sure why someone left the door open. :glare: I discovered him a few minutes ago in the darkness of the dining room he ran away from me and towards our cat (a ragdoll). The yorkie was right behind him. In the dark no one could really see what was going on, all I saw was a dark blur about 4 inches long moving quite rapidly. When I turned on the light he ran the other direction under the door of an unused bedoom we're currently using as storage.

I frowned and looked up at the cat, who had backed about 10 feet away from where the mouse had approached him (and whose favorite toys are stuffed mice with rattles and catnip) and said, "Some mouser you are!" The cat ran away.

DH went to buy peanut butter and mouse traps.

I want to hide my head under my pillow but the thought of mice INSIDE the house is creeping me out. Why did he have to choose the one room I've been avoiding all summer? Now I'll have to clean it out. Maybe tonight.

The cat I had growing up on a farm was a fabulus mouser--15 or so most days. He lined them up on the front step so we could see his efforts. He refused to deal with indoor mice. I think he considered them to be pets! He would move so they could go by. :lol::lol::lol:

I really hate mice. Rodents in general so :grouphug:.

Ugh, I hate mice. I despise mice. My husband once went out of town leaving me with a HOUSE FULL. No joke. They ran UNDER my chair & I stood there screaming. Our dog sighed & left the room.

I caught 6 before I stopped counting & started leaving full traps for dh to clean up when he got home. I.HATE.MICE. I so feel for you.

Get a terrier. Based on my limited experience, they aren't afraid of anything. Aidan has already killed a mouse. I keep him away from snakes when I find them in the house because they are beneficial to the environment. Plus, I don't want him to get bitten.

Mind you, when I see a snake or a mouse, I scream and run away, or jump up on anything available. There is nothing that scares me more than a mouse does. Except maybe for Aidan, who runs after me and has mouse-mouth.

Last week, there was a black snake at least 3' long in the basement. This was verified by my son, who went to take it outside (it quickly went behind a bookcase, oh joy), and not an exaggeration born from stark terror. Black snakes eat mice, so they are my friends as long as they stay away from me.

I won't trap mice because I'm afraid of dead mice, too. Also, I can't stand to think of them in pain while they die, and I don't want to hear them screaming (or whatever they do). I don't want to poison or trap Aidan, either. OTOH, mice carry diseases and are full of germs, and they multiply quickly. I debate this issue with myself a lot, can you tell?

Edited by RoughCollie

we have meadows as far as you can see (as our backyard). We were told by neighbors when we first moved in to get cats or we would have mice. Once when we ONLY had 5 cats, dh went into the family room and say a mouse in the middle of the room with all 5 cats sitting in a circle around it facing it. The mouse ran off and the cats did nothing. We did find a dead mouse later so don't know what the cat circle was about.

I am afraid of mice and terrified of rats, (we did have a musk rat,caught by cat outside and released inside alive), a male cat released it alive and it took one of my female cats to dispatch of it, so now we have 8 cats and no trace of mice in years, guess the word got out into mouseland to avoid our house.

5 traps with peanut butter and nothing yet! I haven't dealt with mice as an adult, but when I was a kid we visited an aunt of mine for a couple weeks and they had mice, they were all killed within a couple of days with PB traps... What should I try next? :confused:

Well, I posted about this a few weeks back. Our cat acts like so pathetic with mice. They always get away and he's left running in circles. I don't know if he's afraid, but he is worthless as a mouser. I have a very bad mouse phobia, and I was losing my mind just at the thought of one being in the house. The mouse was getting too much play time in MY house, so we adopted TWO more cats. It's been 3 weeks and I've seen no sign of a mouse. LOL! I am hoping that works. And the cats are super cute and lovable. (My original cat only likes one of my daughters)