Menu

Honors College Q's

Vida Winter

My son is a rising sophomore in the Honors College at the University of Delaware (about 17,000 undergraduates) Some of the benefits of being Honors at UD include

-specific honors-only freshman dorms with additional residential support from former Honors freshmen in addition to the regular RAs

-honors-only courses

-honors-only sections of popular courses

-priority registration (? I think--he takes care of that)

I was in an honors college as an undergrad. There were courses (or sub-courses) available only to honors students; my favorite, I think, was honors astronomy. I attended the regular astronomy 101 course (100+ students in an auditorium), but once a week the honors students (maybe six in all) met with the professor outside of class at night at the observatory for extra work but also time with a serious telescope. I was not a science student, but I still have vivid memories...

Also, a few years ago when I was living in Abu Dhabi I was contacted by my univ honors college -- the college president was coming to Abu Dhabi to give a seminar and wanted to meet with any honor alums in the area-- turned out it was just me! I met him for dinner and we have continued an occasional correspondence and meet-ups over the years -- so also good for long-term networking (if you keep your data current in the alumni database).

Edited by Kate in Arabia

Oldest daughter graduated from Barrett (honors college at ASU). It was nothing but a positive experience. She took advantage of early registration (before everyone but graduating seniors), dedicated advisors, honors only classes (Bio was 20 students rather than 200), honors cohort dorms, the ability to take law school and graduate level courses as an undergrad, and special heads up to programs and opportunities she wouldn't have been privy to outside of the honors college. The honors college was like attending a small school with all the advantages of a large research institution. Jenna just started at the university of AZ. So far her experience has been just as awesome.

Ds is in the Honors program at U of Alabama. Highly recommend it for all the above reasons, but also:

Option to live in the Honors Dorm (nicer, more studious environment)

More options for Study Abroad, Research as an undergrad.

Community Service option--he went a week early to school & helped paint an elem school. Got 1 hour of honors credit, but also easily met 100 other students with an interest to serve the community and excel academically.

He loves his Honors Calc professor, and the smaller class size.

He needs to accumulate 18 honors credits in order to graduate "with Honors".

Basically, it is the way a state university provides a more "upper-tier" academic experience for the top 20% (or so) of the campus.

I was skeptical at first, because of all the hoops he had to jump through. But it is DEFINITELY worth it!:001_smile:

Edited by Beth S

Ds is in the Honors program at U of Alabama. Highly recommend it for all the above reasons, but also:

Option to live in the Honors Dorm (nicer, more studious environment)

More options for Study Abroad, Research as an undergrad.

Community Service option--he went a week early to school & helped paint an elem school. Got 1 hour of honors credit, but also easily met 100 other students with an interest to serve the community and excel academically.

He loves his Honors Calc professor, and the smaller class size.

He needs to accumulate 18 honors credits in order to graduate "with Honors".

Basically, it is the way a state university provides a more "upper-tier" academic experience for the top 20% (or so) of the campus.

I was skeptical at first, because of all the hoops he had to jump through. But it is DEFINITELY worth it!:001_smile:

Thank you, Beth. It looks like it would be worthwhile. I have heard nothing but good things about these types of programs.

• 1 month later...

My dd18 is a freshman in the Honors College at a state university. She is living in the Honors dorm, which has larger rooms than most of the other dorms. They have some honors-only classes taught in classrooms in the dorm. They have some high-tech AV equipment that allows them to pipe in seminars from other universities world-wide. Study abroad for at least one semester is required, and a $1300 stipend is given to help offset the travel costs. There is usually no extra tuition, room, and board costs because of exchange agreements with universities in other countries. There is a computer lab in the dorm so they don't have to go to the computer center to use a computer or print out papers.

Ds in honor college at large state U. Freshman. LOVES it. Same as the other posts-register first, small classes, honors advisor, service hours required, honors office staff to help with anything. But best of all, a lot of kids just like him, dedicated students, and many from average income families so nobody fancy to keep up with, an instant community. They have social things, colloquium, games. Many of the students are Christian, don't know if that is important to you, but it was to us, just a great group. All we pay for is food and books, honors program pays for the rest. Ours had a shadow day spring semester of senior year, so kids could visit and see what a 'day in the life' was like.

It has been a time of change, that's for sure. I had 2 start as freshman this year. I have tried to revel in the joy of seeing them make their way so successfully, and I have actually enjoyed a bit of peace. Mine are close enough to come home some weekends, which has been a great balance. Mine were young, so that caused extra worry. But the honors college has been a better fit than another year at home or a local CC. Every blessing to you.

Please forgive my ignorance (my oldest is only in 10th grade), but is Honors College something the student could seek out and apply for, or is it a situation where the college seeks out the qualified students and offers this opportunity (based on test scores, transcripts, etc.)?

Please forgive my ignorance (my oldest is only in 10th grade), but is Honors College something the student could seek out and apply for, or is it a situation where the college seeks out the qualified students and offers this opportunity (based on test scores, transcripts, etc.)?

That's a good question. It is typically something the student would seek out as part of the college admissions process. Students who are thinking about honors colleges can ask the admissions office about that and may be able to include that on their college visit.

Some schools have a set cut off criteria like a particular test score and GPA and they do require a separate application for the honors college. Others require students complete a separate application with essays. Deadlines can be the same as the regular admissions deadline or they can be different so that's another thing pay attention to.

My dd had to apply for the honors college after she was accepted to the university. There was an SAT minimum and maybe GPA too.