Menu

How and when do you hand back papers to be corrected?

Omma

For some reason, this part of the day ends up being a bit stressful and uncertain for us. I often grade and hand back papers first thing in the morning, but it often gets my son grumpy and 'feeling behind' before the day even gets going.

Do you have your dc redo all their missed responses, or just have them look over the red markings and then continue on? I know that Math has to be corrected every single day and I usually have them redo every single problem that they got wrong (dc are now 12 and 10). I know that sometimes errors are just because they didn't read the instructions correctly (this happens often in Grammar and in Math), so I sometimes have them find and correct the errors. But it takes so long....

Also, what about WWS? When they complete Day 4, do you do the rubric right away with them and have them rewrite their paper (perhaps even before doing the rubric)? I just am having trouble knowing how to schedule the correction of papers into our day.

Would love to hear how you all do it!

Brenda

I grade his stuff right there on the spot after we do it. But I only grade math and grammar. He is 3rd grade, so most everything is still one-on-one. It only takes a few minutes to grade something, I think it is best to grade it right after they do it so they can remember what they did or didn't do, helping them learn better from their mistakes.

I know that sometimes errors are just because they didn't read the instructions correctly (this happens often in Grammar and in Math), so I sometimes have them find and correct the errors. But it takes so long....

In this case, I would start asking the child to repeat the directions to me before starting. Sometimes I even double-check the first couple problems/questions to make sure she understands before she continues. Work that is done incorrectly due to not following directions needs to be redone. If this happens frequently, I would assign the corrections to be made during free time. Learning to follow directions is important.

It may take time to find and make corrections, but the goal is to learn to from the mistakes.

I grade his stuff right there on the spot after we do it. But I only grade math and grammar. He is 3rd grade, so most everything is still one-on-one. It only takes a few minutes to grade something, I think it is best to grade it right after they do it so they can remember what they did or didn't do, helping them learn better from their mistakes.

This is the case for me too, 2nd and 4th grades.

I correct things daily. Most of the time I correct in the evening and do one of two things.

If there are just minor mistakes I wait and we talk about it right before I assign the next lesson.

If there are major mistakes or misunderstandings I call the child over to me when I'm correcting and we go through it then. Then the next lesson starts on a good note.

Other times if there have been a lot of mistakes or lots of misunderstandings we use our lesson time the next day (in say, Math) to review the concept and redo the problems missed.

WWS sometimes takes me a couple days to get to, but usually my ds does okay on it because we discuss it well before he writes and I give him the rubric so he knows exactly what I'm looking for. He usually just has minor things to change so I don't require a rewrite. I have to go easy on my young writers... all my kids are writing phobic! ;)

When depends. Sometimes, I am able to check them all before dinner, and the boys correct them early on. Sometimes, it's later in the night. Very rarely, they are done the following morning.

They are always done. The boys generally are responsible for trying to figure out their math mistakes first. I often write little notes on their papers. If I see something that keeps popping up, I chat with them, perhaps reteach it, and then have them correct it.

I view corrections as one of the most important parts of the day.

I will have to try again to get those papers graded and returned the same day. Another issue is that I know my ds just wants to skip this part :glare: and not have to be 'corrected', if you know what I mean. Last year we had BJU school papers that I waited a week or more to grade (true, bad confessions... especially Reading class, which he doesn't even have this coming year... YEAH!!!).

I think I will try not even ripping out the pages this year, so that everything stays contained and I can more easily locate things. Organization has not been my strong suit, that's for sure.

I like the idea of taking away 'free time' if directions are not followed and they have to redo an assignment.

And I only have 2 dc to grade... :tongue_smilie: One of them is my dd and she LOVES school and has no problem doing worksheets. And then there's my ds, who gets easily frustrated and stressed during the school day. He doesn't like it if I return papers for him to correct when he is in the middle of any other subject, or if I do it at the beginning of the day.

It is interesting to read how you all approach this aspect of schoolwork. I know IEW tells the student to pay someone to be your editor so you don't have to have long lectures from your mother! :lol:

Brenda

I meet with the older kids first thing in the morning (while the little ones are still asleep), we do some discussions and they write down what they have to do in thier planners.

We get up the little ones, have breakfast and chores, then I do school with the little ones while the older ones work on their school. We have lunch, a small break, and the little ones have quiet time.

This is when I go over the olders work, we correct, and they finish up what didn't get completed yet.

For the last two years I have looked things over before they could be excused for the day. With the increase number of students (I'll have three of mine doing work this year), I find this to be inconvenient and would like to be able to put it off. I have a few problems though. 1) Little extra room for papers to sit and wait to be graded and 2) About half of their work is w/ dry erase markers. If I let them sit too long, they will get smudged/erased. I've tried to think of a work around for this problem, but have come up with nothing.

I do think doing it as soon as possible is good b/c their minds are still on their work.

I go over everything as soon as they are done. After they have completed the assignment, I circle any incorrect work that needs to be re-done. They re-work the problems immediately. I then re-check. If it is still incorrect, then I will refresh the material, give extra examples, or even re-teach as needed. We don't move on to the next subject until we have finished this process.

Same here.

I think when doesn't matter nearly as much (to me that is) as the attitude does. I'd address this with him directly, sometime when it's not a conflict time already. Maybe sit down over a snack and say something like, "We need a different way to handle daily corrections. I've noticed that you don't like getting them in the middle of another assignment, but you don't really like starting your day off with them either. What suggestions do you have about how and when we do these that could make them go better?"

Put the ball in his court, and let him take some responsibility for his attitude.

I correct work each night, and then during the day, I have a scheduled one on one time with each child. We start our day with Bible, then my son reads history for an hour, while I meet with my dd. Our time is not only going over corrections, it's also going over new instructions and some subjects that we do together (spelling and part of history).

You might also think through how you do corrections. I always find positive things to emphasize--"you did this part very well," or, "I really like your thought process here," or, "you drew these angles very neatly, awesome job!" and so on. In other words, don't just notice what they haven't done correctly, notice what they've done well and make that part of your meeting.

HTH some! Merry :-)