Menu

WWYD? Buying a book

I recently found a book I wanted to purchase on Amazon used. It is an older book so I emailed the seller because their condition description was that the book had damage but nothing else. The book was listed for $5.98 plus the $3.99 shipping. It has been this price for a while. Well, I heard back from the seller right away that it was minimal damage and so I went to purchase it. The book is now listed at $39.99 plus the $3.99 shipping. :glare: I understand that it is the seller's prerogative to change the price but really? Raise the price $34? I am not going to purchase the book obviously. I feel grumpy that they raised the price so much after I asked a question. Is this how business should be conducted? I feel like sending a polite response indicating that I feel their business practices could be improved. I just feel like it is a matter of principle and insisting on good business practices. I don't know though. Should I just forget about it? WWYD?

Yeah, I never get the crazy pricing. When I list a book for sale, I look at the used copies listed, descriptions, and price in line with condition. I really don't know what possesses some sellers to list things 10 or sometimes 100 times the others, particularly things still in print and available with free shipping for $5.99.

I just listed 2 little K-1 spelling books they I had purchased years ago from a school yard sale. They're staple bound, all paper, monochromatic, maybe 30 pages. A couple others were listed, one for $199.99. For a tiny little consumable book that could have been run off on the mimeo machine (it wasn't; it has an ISBN. I'm just saying) :confused:

I would totally tell them that you are no longer interested, since they've marked up the price.

I am sorry this happened to you.

I would e-mail the seller (through Amazon e-mail so that they have a record of it) stating the price when you asked the question and the fact that the price increased. I would also ask if they could correct the price, or if you need to contact Amazon for that. ;)

While it is unethical for them to change the price like this, I don't know if it can be prevented, but Amazon does have some rules for their sellers.

I once purchased a book for $17 plus s/h on Amazon. I received an e-mail through Amazon from the seller stating that the seller had cancelled the order. They apologized profusely for the fact that they had not carefully examined the book. It was not "like new," but actually had extensive water damage and that they would not sell it in that condition. It was a hard-to-find book, and I was suspicious, so I checked their listings the next day, only to find the same copy in "very good" condition for $69.95!! :001_huh:

They did have a separate web site, which also listed the same book in very good condition in stock. When I e-mailed them at their store address, I received a glowing report of how good the book was....almost "like new!" (for $69.95) So.....I responded through Amazon that there must have been a mistake, blah, blah, and received a response that they removed the book because they could not sell a "very good" book when they had listed it "like new." Yeah, right. :glare: Clearly, they lied.

I did call Amazon, and they said that while they could not really do anything about it, they would have their Marketplace reps contact the seller. I think that the fact that I did most of my correspondence through Amazon (giving them a record of all of it) convinced the seller to sell me the book at the original price. They also tried to tell me that their prices were based on a supply and demand model over which they had no control. Interesting....there were no sales of the book, and no other price changes.

Anyway, it's worth a try if you don't mind making a call and writing a few e-mails. If something is a good price for a fairly rare book, on Amazon I usually purchase it, then ask the questions, knowing I can cancel the order or return it if I don't agree with the way the book is described.

I understand...it is very frustrating!

Hope this helps!

have you seen the book anywhere else? what did the price run elsewhere?

Initially, I'd think perhaps it was mispriced. (IF the $39 was an average price elsewhere for a similar condition book.) if they raised the price to get more money out of you after you expressed interest, I'd drop an e-mail to amazon and let them know their third-party seller is trying to profiteer.