Menu

homestudy...what did they check?

If you had a homestudy, what did they check?

We have our homestudy update on Thursday. Last time (3 yrs. ago) she checked our son's closet, but not any other closets. She checked the fridge and pantry, but not the rest of the kitchen cabinets. She didn't check the garage. The dhs homestudy wanted cabinet locks, but I can't remember if the private homestudy ask about having poisons (cleaners etc.) "locked." Shoot, I just noticed I need new fire detector batteries. What else do I need?!

When we had our home study she didn't check any closets or cabinets. That seems a little strange to me. She didn't check those things during the follow-up visit either. She walked around our house and yard, but spent most of the time talking with us and asking us questions. For the follow-up after DS's adoption, I think she might have checked him room, played with him for a little while, and talked to us some more. I had it in my head that it was going to be this big thing, but it was easy and laid back.

When we had our home study she didn't check any closets or cabinets. That seems a little strange to me. She didn't check those things during the follow-up visit either. She walked around our house and yard, but spent most of the time talking with us and asking us questions. For the follow-up after DS's adoption, I think she might have checked him room, played with him for a little while, and talked to us some more. I had it in my head that it was going to be this big thing, but it was easy and laid back.

Ours was fairly easy too. She mostly took a brief look around the house primarily looking at where the baby's room was then mostly questions. Not a big deal.

I was surprised by our home study. She walked around the bottom story of our house, looked outside and we sat at the table to talk. She asked some questions, took some notes. At one point I asked her if she needed to see our first aid kit (I worked Hard to find exactly what was on their list) and she said something like "only if you want me to see it. LOL"

Her comment was, there are some families that you meet that you just know have everything taken care of.

In the 2 years we were foster parents, the case worker never went past our front living areas. LOL

Carbon monoxide detector and door alarms if you have a pool/pond.

In many years we were foster parents the licensing worker never made it past the kitchen table--never asked to see the kids' rooms, bathroom, or anything else.

Last week we had a new licensing worker here and she looked all around and checked for smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. She did surprise us and come back about an hour later with another worker as they aren't sure if our basement is considered "finished" or "unfinished". It was no big deal and I honestly don't think they have figured it out yet. The bedroom down there for foster kids has a drop ceiling but the family room, my son's room and the bathroom don't yet have the drop ceiling it. That is waiting for the next round of money :-)