Menu

I don't get it--people *not* getting married

From the atheists I know and have talked to, when they do get together it's not so much to talk about what isn't as to talk about the things that are, like ethics and such.

I don't have such deep interactions. What I have noticed is that I am more conversational, happy, and relaxed around non-believers. No fear that if I bring up where I work I'll be scolded for medicating schizophrenics, when obviously they are possessed, or getting a contemptuous response to a mention of a X million year old beetle recently found, or being told flat out a book I am carrying to read to my son is "dangerous" (OE). All of these have happened to me, and because of it I am fatigued in conversations where I have to tippy toe, and am, I'm sure, less witty and interesting. Once I know a follower of religion Y has manners or is a bit less dogmatic, fine, but with non-believers I don't have to constrict my words and tippy toe at first.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

atheists and morality, gee, christians didn't invent morality and ethics? :tongue_smilie: This might be news to some. :001_huh:

A family member told me that she was sad that my kids would grow up "without morals" since we are no longer Christians. I found this stunning, as my being a moral person hasn't changed since leaving the church, where she's still an active member - the one I posted about above whose pastor had an affair! He went on to commit suicide. My prayer partner from that church killed her boss (she was featured on the TV show "Snapped.")

I should mention that our lifestyle didn't change much at all - we still live by the golden rule, volunteer, are teaching our children not to lie, cheat, steal, etc. I have no qualms with Christianity but don't think it is the only method of raising moral kids!

(We now attend a UU church and identify as agnostic.)

Edited by JoLuRu

I don't have such deep interactions. What I have noticed is that I am more conversational, happy, and relaxed around non-believers. No fear that if I bring up where I work I'll be scolded for medicating schizophrenics, when obviously they are possessed, or getting a contemptuous response to a mention of a X million year old beetle recently found, or being told flat out a book I am carrying to read to my son is "dangerous" (OE). All of these have happened to me, and because of it I am fatigued in conversations where I have to tippy toe, and am, I'm sure, less witty and interesting. Once I know a follower of religion Y has manners or is a bit less dogmatic, fine, but with non-believers I don't have to constrict my words and tippy toe at first.

You could try hanging out with Pagans, too. Most of us are very sciency. :001_smile:

On the other hand I don't know of any true communists in history. They really were dictators, fascists, and essentially sought to be worshiped. It was never about true communism. I wouldn't call that atheism. I'd call that wanting to do whatever it takes to control people for your own gain because you believe you are that important (even god like).

Well, yes, this is precisely the sort of thing some Christians might say about some rather nasty Christian historical figures who used religion to justify evil acts. In fact they may well have thought that it did justify evil acts.

I also don't think it is fair to say that communists who did evil acts in the name of communism were not really believers. I would not be suprised if that were true of Stalin - I wouldn't be so sure of say, Lenin, and as for many nameless people who were part of the communist machine, I'm sure many were true believers and really thought the cause justified their acts.

I also wouldn't call Communism atheism, but it is one atheist worldview. Just as Christianity is one religious worldview. It isn't usually very effective to compare atheists to Christians - they aren't really equivalent groupings. But in general, atheists have some sort of structured worldview which atheism is part of, be it secular humanism, materialism, or whatever.

I think their thing is to talk about the same issues talked about in other religions without the aspect of a deity. So they talk about morality, etc. but not within the context of there being a creator/god responsible for those things.

They also get involved with community service projects without the aspect of trying to promote a specific religion.

It's not necessarily just for atheists. It's also not about atheism.

Huh, yeah, maybe. The area we live in is pretty liberal, so that's the sort of thing I do with my friends and family already. I guess I could see where, if the people around you were religious, you might want a place to discuss things from a shared viewpoint. Because we live where we live, that hadn't occurred to me.

Thanks!

I also wouldn't call Communism atheism, but it is one atheist worldview. Just as Christianity is one religious worldview. It isn't usually very effective to compare atheists to Christians - they aren't really equivalent groupings. But in general, atheists have some sort of structured worldview which atheism is part of, be it secular humanism, materialism, or whatever.

The problem with this is the assumption that atheism is the most important characteristic of communism. And if we have to take all adherents at face value, it's good to remember that not all communist states forbid or discouraged the practice of organized religion.

In terms of marriage, I strongly believe in marriage and strongly believe in my marriage. At the end of the day, that is the one that matters to me. If others choose to not marry, that is their business, not mine. Personally, I believe marriage provides benefits and stability, particularly to children, but that is my belief, nothing written in blood. If others feel differently, it isn't my place to try to convince them otherwise, just as no one can convince me that my marriage is unnecessary or superfluous. :D

Sounds sensible to me. :001_smile:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

People actually said that stuff to you? How awful!!!

I guess I should consider myself lucky that we live where we do, as we never get comments like that -- not even from people who consider themselves very religious.

Where we live, people just don't seem to care very much whether or not you go to church, or what religion you are. No one ever asks about it. I guess people might talk about it if you asked them a question, but there seems to be an overall live-and-let-live philosophy here.

My prayer partner from that church killed her boss (she was featured on the TV show "Snapped.")

For a minute there, I thought you were going to say she'd been featured on Bridezillas.

Because you know, although it still would have been tragic, it also would have been kind of funny. I'm still waiting for one of those women to snap. :D

But seriously, that must have been incredibly creepy to learn she'd done something like that. In your shoes, I probably would have been going back over every conversation we'd had, wondering if I'd missed telltale signs that she was getting ready to go off the deep end.

OK, people, tell the truth.

Am I the only one who is really, really, really missing the cupcake thread right about now?

This thread would be a lot happier if we had ourselves some baked goods, a little bit of Ryan Gosling, and a friendly goat or two.

I'd like a thread about chips and beer.

Coincidentally, I've had both today. I feel the need to add we don't normally have chips in the house. :tongue_smilie:

I'd like a thread about chips and beer.

I've been hoping for a thread that devolves into pictures of northern men in flannel shirts and work boots, but the kilt girls never let it go in the proper direction. :glare: