Menu

Dual Enrollment Transcript Question

My dd took English Comp at the CC. I gave her .5 (1 semester) high school credit because the standard high school English class is a combination of composition, grammar and literature.

I awarded high school credit depending on what the CC class covered (not necessarily how many hours it was).

All cc classes were 1 semester = 1 hs credit.

They also got an English credit for Speech, along with Fresh Comp I & II, and Creative Writing. Not all hs English credits are lit/comp/grammar (I don't remember grammar in hs at all except in conjunction w/correct writing.)

(I don't remember grammar in hs at all except in conjunction w/correct writing.)

I had a separate grammar text every.single.year in high school, including my senior year. I hated diagramming, BTW, and didn't understand what transitive/intransitive verbs were until my dd did Easy Grammar. :glare:

I had a separate grammar text every.single.year in high school, including my senior year. I hated diagramming, BTW, and didn't understand what transitive/intransitive verbs were until my dd did Easy Grammar. :glare:

Ahh yes! I do remember diagramming sentences in 9th grade. I still can't remember what things are called, but I remember where to put them on the diagram. ;)

Do you all give your kiddos an English comp course each year in High school?... (composition, grammar and literature)

I look forward to hearing your replies!;)

Each year of high school English is assumed to include composition and literature (and grammar, if necessary).

I have known folks who did all the composition (and grammar, if needed) the first two years, then spent two years only doing literature.

An English comp course would be just that: composition. Not literature.

Do you all give your kiddos an English comp course each year in High school?... (composition, grammar and literature)

Here's what my daughter did. Some of these were done at home, others were done at a homeschooling resource center and at the local community college.

9th:

World Literature from 1700 to 2000 (0.5 credits)

Literature: Fantasy (0.5 credits)

Literature: Greek Plays (0.25 credits)

10th:

College Preparatory Essay Writing (0.5 credits)

Literature: Middle English (0.25 credits)

11th:

WR 121: Comp. - Intro. to Argument (0.5 credits)

WR 122: Comp. - Style and Argument (0.5 credits)

ENG 109: Survey of World Literature (0.5 credits)

12th:

ENG 215: Latino/a Literature (0.5 credits)

ENG 250: Intro. to Folklore & Mythology (0.5 credits)

WR 123: Composition - Research (0.5 credits)

As it happens, my daughter did have some composition and literature each year. Her community college composition classes in 11th and 12th grade incorporated non-fiction and/or literature readings. You can see that some years she had well over one credit of English while one year had less. In her four years of high school, she had a total of five credits. (And I was not generous in attributing high school credits for community college classes; some would have given one credit for each of those classes. Had that been the case, she would have had eight credits in all.)

Regards,

Kareni