Menu

Help me buy airline tickets

I am trying to plan airline ticketsto go to orientation for my Master's. Delta is the carrier. Which is better to go through, Delta.com, or another site like travelocity, etc? I also need to rent a car but no motel. I haven't bought plane tickets for a few years and then only once in like 20 years! Yikes. Is there a better day to buy them for a better price (someone told me Wednesdays are better). Thanks Hive!

Do you have to fly Delta? If so, purchasing through the Delta website is probably best.

You can try looking on Kayak.com. They have a month-at-a-glance option that lets you see which dates are the cheapest to fly on each airline. Yapta is similar.

Then, check Southwest.com to compare because they are sometimes a better deal and their prices don't show up on Yapta or Kayak.

Finally, sometimes, Allegiant will have service that fits your schedule.

Have fun!

I would go through the Delta website. Look for tickets, prices at different times (try different times of day and different days) prior to buying. I recently needed to purchase tickets and had looked at prices a few weeks prior and the cheapest for a one-way Ohio to Philly was $388 per person. I waited a couple weeks and looked again and found the same exact ticket for $140 per person.

Do you have to fly Delta? If so, purchasing through the Delta website is probably best.

You can try looking on Kayak.com. They have a month-at-a-glance option that lets you see which dates are the cheapest to fly on each airline. Yapta is similar.

Then, check Southwest.com to compare because they are sometimes a better deal and their prices don't show up on Yapta or Kayak.

Finally, sometimes, Allegiant will have service that fits your schedule.

Have fun!

:iagree:, with the exception that I am not familiar with Allegiant. I look at Kayak and then usually purchase directly from the airline. Yes, Tuesday and Wednesday are typically cheaper to fly. I recently bought tickets for my kids and followed Clark Howard's advice. It killed me to wait until six weeks before travel, but I still believe I got the best price.

We research the prices through a place like travelocity, but then purchase directly from the airline at their website. I don't know if it's true, but we've been told we'd have more recourse for a refund if something went wrong with the purchase. Also, travelocity and Expedia and those sorts of places have a handy table showing the prices for each day of the week.

OTOH, when I travel for work, the person who books my flight just does it through Expedia or some place like that. We haven't had any problems.

So it's likely that it doesn't matter how you do it.

We research the prices through a place like travelocity, but then purchase directly from the airline at their website. I don't know if it's true, but we've been told we'd have more recourse for a refund if something went wrong with the purchase. Also, travelocity and Expedia and those sorts of places have a handy table showing the prices for each day of the week.

We had to extend a visit due to the death of a family member and the only option through travelocity was to pay a fee (I think it was $150) and then we could use the tickets in the future, but only between the same two airports. We wound up driving back and lost the whole cost of the flights.