Menu

Observing the Sabbath (religious)

In the morning, before church we try to listen to uplifting music. I try not to get frustrated with the kids' attitudes about going to church.

After church, we try to at least be in the same room together. I try to avoid new (to keep myself unsullied from the world).

DH and I spend some time talking about our family and how each of the children and each other are doing and what we hope for the upcoming week.

We spend the evening visiting with dh's parents, maybe watching a movie.

I'm wondering what others do too.

If you "observe the sabbath day and keep it holy", can you share what that entails for you?

We don't keep the seventh day Sabbath as Christians, but do honor the "Lord's Day" (Sunday). We spend the day with other believers, participate in the Divine Liturgy, receive the Eucharist and then share an agape meal together as the early church did. We're usually together fellowshipping until something like 2 in the afternoon. I love not winging it on my own, but just joining in with the ancient church practices. Then we rest at home after that. It's our favorite day of the week.

Edited by milovaný

We don't keep the seventh day Sabbath as Christians, but do honor the "Lord's Day" (Sunday). We spend the day with other believers, participate in the Divine Liturgy, receive the Eucharist and then share an agape meal together as the early church did. We're usually together fellowshipping until something like 2 in the afternoon. I love not winging it on my own, but just joining in with the ancient church practices. Then we rest at home after that. It's our favorite day of the week.

:iagree: sometimes a nap after. Admittedly, TV also. I know it's not holy, but I would feel disingenuous if I left that out.

If you "observe the sabbath day and keep it holy", can you share what that entails for you?

I'm an Orthodox Jew so we are the original "Sabbath-keepers"! :lol:

Shabbat/Shabbos begins about an hour before sunset and we don't drive, use/turn on and off electrical things (appliances, lights and the such), write/erase, and a whole bunch of other stuff!

We do eat Thanksgiving amount meals both on Friday night and Saturday afternoon and a somewhat smaller meal Saturday night. We do go to synagogue (definitely the males and most of the females) both Friday night and Saturday morning and the guys go back for a smaller service on Sat afternoon/evening. We have lots of family time (no TV/radio/computer use), hang out with friends within walking distance, sing special songs at the meals, play at the park, learn Jewish topics/Bible.

Here's a link to how a traditional Jewish Sabbath is done.

Gotta go put together Shabbos, bye!

Shabbat Shalom!

Our church isn't until 1:00 in the afternoon this year, so usually we'll have a quiet morning. Sometimes a large breakfast as a family. If we watch tv, it is uplifting stuff like church movies or nature documentaries. We also only listen to religious or instrumental music. After we get home from church, we'll have a family meal. The kids don't play outside, although we might go for a walk as a family.

We may have a few friends over for dessert in the evening as well.

We don't go shopping or pay bills or anything like that on Sunday. My husband doesn't study and I try to keep cleaning to a minimum (like dishes). Oh, we also try not to work on Sunday, although obviously some jobs require it. For example, my husband had to be at the hospital last Sunday because he was on call. But if we can help it at all, we try no to.

Thank you all for sharing! It is something that has been on my mind, something I'd like to be more deliberate about. I'm definitely going to check out that book from Doorposts, too.

We celebrate Sabbath evening and morning. We have a big meal with table cloth, wine, candles, etc... and chocolates and candies strewn down the middle of the table for the kids. We always have a dessert. Sabbath meal is when the kids show off their memory verses for Papa. We like to sing psalms with friends, especially if there's a few cute toddlers who can twirl around to them. :) The kids like playing Bible memory games, Jeopardy style, and get candy tossed at them when they answer correctly. On Sunday, there's church and then getting together with church members afterward. We usually eat leftovers (from the night before) for one meal on Sunday and a crockpot meal for the other, on paper plates - that way mama can rest too. A major theme for us on Sabbath is God's goodness and generosity, it's because of this we can rest. : ) During the homeschool year Sabbath meals tend to be simpler.

Your day sounds lovely. Could you please explain this a little more?

Surely, but can you let me know specifically what you're asking about? How we spend our day, or the early church's view of "the Sabbath"? Or other? :001_smile:

I build my week around it.

Sunday meals are the biggest (hence the planning!), and we *always* have a dessert, because we don't often during the week, and that makes it extra special. We plan our day around church. I make sure we're wearing the nicest of what we have. My kids really listened when a Noviate (nun) told them a story about how her mother never, ever, let her wear her Sunday dresses out, even to a party. They were reserved for Church alone. And they were poor and lived in the Philippines-so if they can do it, I can.

It's a family day. That means no play dates, and no parties (other than family get togethers). We may sit around and watch football, but we do it together.

It's a day of rest, so the planning helps ME rest, and the lack of appointments helps us all rest and reconnect. We spend time around the table, it's set, especially with candles.

We go to evening Mass on Sunday, and we have our meal at about mid afternoon. Then we come home, crash, eat some more and generally laze around.

It's not so much that it's a burden, but enough to make it special.

Edited by justamouse

:iagree: This is what we do when we go to church. Our church is almost a 2 hour drive so we only go every 2-4 weeks. When we go we're are usually wiped out when we get home so I don't cook, also we eat lunch in the city (our church doesn't have a big meal every Sunday, just once a month) after church so we're not hungry for a big meal anyway. Also while we're all in the city together we might do some shopping or sightseeing of some type.

When we don't go to church we read the readings appointed for the day. If they prompt discussion we discuss. Then we do whatever but usually as a family. I don't like to do anything that requires a long drive because then I feel like we should of drove to church.:) I like the idea of doing good for others when we can't go to church; help a neighbor, knit something for homeless or premies, cook a meal for someone. Not that I'm so good at doing these things but it is a goal I'd like to work toward. I do usually make a big dinner on Sundays we don't go to church and invite my adult children for a big family meal.:D

Surely, but can you let me know specifically what you're asking about? How we spend our day, or the early church's view of "the Sabbath"? Or other? :001_smile:

I'm curious how the Lord's Day differs from the seventh day Sabbath. Thanks!

Edited by Jaz

Our church isn't until 1:00 in the afternoon this year, so usually we'll have a quiet morning. Sometimes a large breakfast as a family. If we watch tv, it is uplifting stuff like church movies or nature documentaries. We also only listen to religious or instrumental music. After we get home from church, we'll have a family meal. The kids don't play outside, although we might go for a walk as a family.

We may have a few friends over for dessert in the evening as well.

We don't go shopping or pay bills or anything like that on Sunday. My husband doesn't study and I try to keep cleaning to a minimum (like dishes). Oh, we also try not to work on Sunday, although obviously some jobs require it. For example, my husband had to be at the hospital last Sunday because he was on call. But if we can help it at all, we try no to.

:iagree: Yes, this. We have 1:00 church this year, too.

I'm curiuos how the Lord's Day differs from the seventh day Sabbath. Thanks!

The seventh-day Sabbath was a day of rest instituted after the creation. It is still commemorated in the Jewish faith.

In Christianity, since Christ has given us eternal rest in Him (Matthew 11:28), we no longer have one enforced day of rest on the Sabbath (Saturday). We live in His rest every day. That doesn't mean we don't have a day set apart, though, it's just set apart for a different reason. We now have the "Lord's Day" on Sunday. It's a day of celebration and commemoration on which we gather in unity to receive the gift He gave us of Himself, the Eucharist, together.

In the ancient church, the Lord's Day is also known as the 8th day, which signifies completion, it signifies the kingdom of God which is now with us.

Hope that makes sense!