Menu

Where can I find this?

In response to a post a few weeks ago, I made this reply regarding the church:

"...I'm so fed up with the commercialization of churches these days. They build these mega-churches that do nothing but feed their own egos. Why not small community churches where the pastor can actually know the names and faces of his parishioners and the debt is manageable or non-existent? Or, even better, why not house churches? What's wrong with a dozen families meeting in each others' homes or a park? This is the kind of church I'm looking for. I actually quit going to our "home" church a few years ago because I'm fed up with this mega-church, bigger is better commercialization mentality within the church. DH doesn't like that I've stopped going but I can't in good conscience go where I feel that the pastor is so self-absorbed."

It got me thinking, WHY am I not looking for a church like this? WHY am I just choosing to sit home and worship by myself instead of finding what I really desire. So, my question is, how would I go about finding a small HOME-based church setting like described in red above? I'm not interested in the building and the politics that goes along with that, just genuine PEOPLE in an authentic setting.

Oh Starr, how wise you are.

Yes, because they are still comprised of people. :D I would ask around if there is a home church you can check out. Online philosophy statements of churches are often helpful in discerning their stance on certain issues as well.

I don't have an answer about where to find home churches.

The problem isn't a church that meets in a house vs. a church that meets in a building. And there's a lot of ground between mega and house church!

The people are the important factor.

We have generally belonged to smallish churches and while all churches have problems - because they're filled with people, you see ;) - a loving church culture can help keep those problems from becoming overwhelming.

Think about what it is you want to experience at church, and what you want to receive and give. Then, start looking at churches in your area. Most churches have a website where you can see their statement of faith, something about their culture, etc. Make phone calls and talk to the pastor or even the church secretary. Then go visit some.

Even house churches have their interpersonal politics. ;)

Oh I know; I TOTALLY get that. We're all human and that fact alone makes us ALL imperfect. I'm not looking for perfect people, just a near perfect FIT. Does that make sense?

I don't have an answer about where to find home churches.

The problem isn't a church that meets in a house vs. a church that meets in a building. And there's a lot of ground between mega and house church!

The people are the important factor.

We have generally belonged to smallish churches and while all churches have problems - because they're filled with people, you see ;) - a loving church culture can help keep those problems from becoming overwhelming.

Think about what it is you want to experience at church, and what you want to receive and give. Then, start looking at churches in your area. Most churches have a website where you can see their statement of faith, something about their culture, etc. Make phone calls and talk to the pastor or even the church secretary. Then go visit some.

:iagree:

Our church is a couple hundred people, but the pastoral staff are kind (and humble) and loving (and humble) and accepting. The senior pastor parks across the street in the furthest corner of the parking lot to allow others to have the closest parking spots. I've been in tiny churches that have the ego, politics and controversy that you described and now the largest church that I have ever attended, has the most loving and caring people group that I've ever been a part of.

I guess maybe I should clarify a little more. My personal conviction is that THE church should look a little more like a house church - not perfection, just small groups of people getting together, learning the Bible, physically BEING the hands and feet of Jesus and BEING in each others' lives in a REAL and informal way. Our large church does have house churches, but that's not what I'm looking for. Everything the house churches do are tied back to the "mother," all decisions, activities etc. I don't want to be affiliated with any church or denomination, just genuine REAL people searching for Jesus. I don't necessarily want to sit and listen, uninvolved, while one man stands up and "teaches" me all I need to know about God.

If you're familiar with the blogger Bohemian Bowmans, her ideals are very similar to my own.