Menu

Peeling boiled eggs nightmare......

It's happening to me lately too. I think it helps to start out with old eggs, not fresh from the store or hen house. That way there is more air inside the shell.

It's pretty much my only tip. I've tried a little vinegar in the cooking water but it didn't make a difference. I do soak them in ice water immediately after cooking. And I use a teaspoon to help coax the shell off gently.

Yep--stop boiling them and steam them. Perfect, easy-to-peel every time I've done it. Put about an inch of water in a pot. Put a steamer thingee in there like you would use for veges. Cook for 12-15 min. (Sorry--can't tell you exactly. You may need to just test one. It matters whether they are room temp or cold when you start them. ) Run under cold water and peel--either right away or later.

I used to work at a restaurant where we served hard-boiled eggs on the salad bar. We struggled day after day! Fresh ones are harder to peel, but the steamed ones haven't failed yet.

It's probably because you use fresh eggs.

But after a post earlier this week on hard cooking eggs in the OVEN, I tried it this afternoon. My eggs were fresh, and after cooking, the shells were a bit more brittle and took longer to peel, but they came off very neatly, none of that OHNOIRUINEDALLMYEGGS when they turn into a nightmare after peeling. I couldn't tell the difference in the way the eggs tasted, but I liked the novelty of cooking them differently. :D

Preheat oven to 325. Place eggs on rack, parallel to rack. Bake 30 mins. Immediately immerse in ice water. Directions say to peel as soon as they cool down; I let mine cool all the way. (Google Alton Brown bake eggs in oven.)

I used my fresh eggs for devilled eggs. They looked perfect. I was surprised it turned out so well.

For me, age makes no difference. When I get my eggs from the farm, they are the same as when I get them from Publix. I put them in a saucepan and cover with water. Then, I bring to a boil and turn off burner while covering the pan. I let them sit 10 minutes, then drain and pour cold water over them. I saw somewhere to add salt or baking soda. Has anyone done that?

Sandy

It's probably because you use fresh eggs.

But after a post earlier this week on hard cooking eggs in the OVEN, I tried it this afternoon. My eggs were fresh, and after cooking, the shells were a bit more brittle and took longer to peel, but they came off very neatly, none of that OHNOIRUINEDALLMYEGGS when they turn into a nightmare after peeling. I couldn't tell the difference in the way the eggs tasted, but I liked the novelty of cooking them differently. :D

Preheat oven to 325. Place eggs on rack, parallel to rack. Bake 30 mins. Immediately immerse in ice water. Directions say to peel as soon as they cool down; I let mine cool all the way. (Google Alton Brown bake eggs in oven.)

I used my fresh eggs for devilled eggs. They looked perfect. I was surprised it turned out so well.

Oh wow....sounds neat. I will definitely try that!

Sandy

Yep--stop boiling them and steam them. Perfect, easy-to-peel every time I've done it. Put about an inch of water in a pot. Put a steamer thingee in there like you would use for veges. Cook for 12-15 min. (Sorry--can't tell you exactly. You may need to just test one. It matters whether they are room temp or cold when you start them. ) Run under cold water and peel--either right away or later.

I used to work at a restaurant where we served hard-boiled eggs on the salad bar. We struggled day after day! Fresh ones are harder to peel, but the steamed ones haven't failed yet.

Sounds good. I would have never thought to try steaming eggs. :lol:

Sandy

1) Don't put the eggs in the water until it's already boiling.

2) Pour cold water over the eggs to cool them down as quickly as possible after they are done boiling.

3) Crack the egg shells while they are in a pot of cold water.

A tip I heard several years ago that works great is to crack your eggs and let them sit in the water for a minute or so...a bit longer for more stubborn eggs. The water will dissolve that pesky membrane that sometimes doesn't want to separate from the egg. I combine that with then peeling under running water and with a stubborn egg being very conscious of getting the water to run under the membrane.