Menu

New England in the fall - vacation?

Hi Everyone,

I want to start by saying I have never in my life planned a vacation. We are in dire need of a vacation and I thought perhaps New England in the fall would be perfect. Where do I start? Any suggestions?

I would like to:

- see the beautiful fall colors, probably go hiking

- take the boys to see the ocean, look for sea shells

- feed my husband copious amounts of fresh sea food

- historical stuff is a definite bonus

- visit a brewery, if there is one in the area

- maybe see stuff about the Mayflower (dh is a descendent)

- not go broke :)

I am not totally against making a couple stops, staying in different places.

Part of me thinks it would be great to rent a home/cottage in a small town for a few days. The Mayflower is not a must see, I would like to be open to anywhere beautiful in NE, not just Mass.

Thanks!

SJ

**Tips on vacation planning is welcome!**

We go to western Maine in September.

There is lots of beautiful hiking, foliage, history, and some breweries. The ocean (and everywhere else we go, at least that's the running joke) is two hours away.

We don't go broke, but that's because it's home for me, and we stay at my dad's house. Actually, we used to stay at some lovely "housekeeping cottages" on Rangeley Lake. They weren't hideously expensive after Labor Day. (but the local IGA will bankrupt you, so you'd want to go elsewhere to grocery shop)

Western Mass is also cheaper (think Sturbridge) and is a relatively pleasant drive to the Boston/Portsmouth sights (relative only because people are completely psychotic on the Mass Pike and in the city).

I'd also suggest Boston area. We just camped in Sturbridge, and it was fantastic! Very close to Boston and the coast. You may want to try whale watching - there are apparently various types of whale to see. This is what I'm going to do the next time I'm visiting the ocean. Old Sturbridge is supposed to be very interesting. Salem has maritime historic museums. Boston has a ton of historical sites to see and lots of other cool things.

Do some on-line research about tourist and historical sites, as well as cheap accomodation and car rental.

I love New England in the Fall. We rented a cabin in Acadia/BarHarbour. There is quite a bit to do in that area of Maine but there are many day trips to be had from anywhere you stay in NewEngland.

Our regular tour is fly into providence or Boston then head up to NH over to VT then to Maine and down.

I'd also suggest Boston area. We just camped in Sturbridge, and it was fantastic! Very close to Boston and the coast. You may want to try whale watching - there are apparently various types of whale to see.

Would you share the name of the campground where you camped?

I love New England in the Fall. We rented a cabin in Acadia/BarHarbour. There is quite a bit to do in that area of Maine but there are many day trips to be had from anywhere you stay in NewEngland.

Our regular tour is fly into providence or Boston then head up to NH over to VT then to Maine and down.

Did you experience any problems with black flies or ticks?

I'd spend a few days around Boston for the historical value and then head up to Acadia National Park/Bar Harbor for the foliage, hiking, biking, playing on the beach, etc. They even have big cruise ships come into port which even my teens think is cool. Acadia is one of the most beautiful places in all of New England IMO and there is so much to do while your there.

Would you share the name of the campground where you camped?

It was the Jellystone Park campground in Sturbridge. They have cabins if you don't want to transport all your camping gear. There are state campgrounds very close by, too, if you want more quiet and rustic camping.