Menu

"New" here (Introduction)

mom2one

Hello! I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place. I looked and didn't see a place to post an introduction, but it just seemed rude to me to start talking without even saying hello first.

I'm sorta new here. Actually, I've read here off and on for a long time, and every once in a while I'll see something that I would like to respond to or have a question that I'd like to ask, but then I realize that I've never actually posted anything here before so I just move on. Finally I decided that I really needed to just jump in.

So, anyway, as my username says, I'm a mom to just one child. That in itself makes homeschooling a little more challenging. Sometimes I think it would be so much easier if I had 6 kids. But then I do a reality check and remember that if I think I'm stressed out and overworked now, I can't even imagine how I would feel if my husband and I were outnumbered!

We're a traveling family. We like to go see the world and experience new things. In fact, I'm a travel agent in addition to being a homeschool mom. This fall, we will be staying in the Caribbean from the end of August through the middle of October. I can't wait, especially since temperatures here in Ohio in the mornings are dipping down into the 50s already. I HATE cold.

Oh, and I suppose I should go ahead and acknowledge the fact that I don't strictly follow a classical method. While I really like and appreciate the classical method, in reality I'm much too laid back to make it work well. That's part of the reason why I haven't posted before. But, you guys have a lot of great advice and seem really supportive, so hopefully you won't mind some of my crazy ways. :001_smile:

Hi :seeya: There are lots of us who only homeschool one kiddo and don't follow the strict classical model! Homeschooling one is great in that you will have the luxury of time to continue the discussion, to keep digging in the dirt, to read just one more chapter-----without worrying that you are neglecting another child :001_smile:

Welcome :grouphug:

This is a curriculum board, so...the rules here are a little different. You get to jump right in. It's a great place for any of us who have a touch of any of the autism spectrum disorders or are just undefinably socially inept, because we get to talk at people instead of to them :lol:

As for classical, these general human rights apply to homeschoolers.

You have the right to be "wrong" and do it anyway.

You have the right to change your mind.

You have the right not to have to explain yourself.

Trust your gut, Try it out. Change your mind as needed. Don't worry about what others think.

Again, welcome! Really, just jump right in. Don't be shy. Because we talk about TOPICS more than TO people, this subforum in particular is pretty safe space. This is where I always retreat to when the world feels too big and mean. My world can be crashing around me, but here I can just jump into a thread about math books or blob drawing or spelling curricula, and it's better than eating for calming and soothing the reptilian brain. The sky must not be falling right, if people are obsessing about which Spalding knock-off is better :lol:

Welcome!

I'm Crissy and I'm a mom to one also. I really don't follow the classical method either but I find that this is the best homeschooling forum out there. How cool that you guys get to travel so much. And, to be a travel agent too! I'm a little jealous. :tongue_smilie:

Jump right in; I did and they haven't kicked me out yet.

Welcome!

I'm Crissy and I'm a mom to one also. I really don't follow the classical method either but I find that this is the best homeschooling forum out there. How cool that you guys get to travel so much. And, to be a travel agent too! I'm a little jealous. :tongue_smilie:

Jump right in; I did and they haven't kicked me out yet.

Well, to be honest.....we've thought about it a few times. Just watch yourself Crissy....we have our eye on you....

:smilielol5:

Well, to be honest.....we've thought about it a few times. Just watch yourself Crissy....we have our eye on you....

:smilielol5:

That must be why my ears have been burning. It's all those secret meetings behind closed doors. I know what you're up to. :glare:

Welcome :grouphug:

This is a curriculum board, so...the rules here are a little different. You get to jump right in. It's a great place for any of us who have a touch of any of the autism spectrum disorders or are just undefinably socially inept, because we get to talk at people instead of to them :lol:

As for classical, these general human rights apply to homeschoolers.

You have the right to be "wrong" and do it anyway.

You have the right to change your mind.

You have the right not to have to explain yourself.

Trust your gut, Try it out. Change your mind as needed. Don't worry about what others think.

Again, welcome! Really, just jump right in. Don't be shy. Because we talk about TOPICS more than TO people, this subforum in particular is pretty safe space. This is where I always retreat to when the world feels too big and mean. My world can be crashing around me, but here I can just jump into a thread about math books or blob drawing or spelling curricula, and it's better than eating for calming and soothing the reptilian brain. The sky must not be falling right, if people are obsessing about which Spalding knock-off is better :lol:

I knew there was a reason I like this board so much better than the general board. I don't need to pretend that I have social skills here. :D

Oh, and I just posted a new thread about a Spalding knock-off. ;)

Thanks everyone! Excited to be here. And happy to know that I'm not alone in my eclectic style, or my sometimes lack of social skills. :)

Welcome.

We are eclectic too. This is my only internet forum, so I am always putting my foot in it, but I am still allowed, so jump on in.