Menu

Any barefoot runners? How 'bout "barefoot" shoe runners?

I've dabbled with barefoot running a little. (I am a pretty newbie runner; I started running in March this year.) I find running barefoot very energizing. I ordered Merrill "barefoot" shoes, though. I don't know if these will really work for running or if nude barefoot is really a lot better. The shoes I ordered look sort of like Mary Janes. I'm planning to run in my first 5K Aug 11th. I don't know if I will run in the Mary Janes or with my standard running shoes. I'm sure I don't have the nerve to race truly barefoot!

Anyone have any thoughts on barefoot running or "barefoot" shoes (which sounds oxymoronic anyway)? Thanks!

My feeling is that barefoot is best, but only on natural surfaces. We are not meant to run/walk on hard surfaces. Our foot muscles try to adjust to get a grip on the firm surface by pronating in, and it just does damage. And I LOVE going barefoot.

Those look great. I was imagining those toe shoes when you mentioned it, but I can't wear those.

I love going barefoot. I do it so often I probably could run barefoot without shoes. LOL

Those are interesting looking. I have thought about it, but I can't seem to buy them. DS wants some. It's one of his latest ideas. First I have to convince him he does not truly wear as big of a shoe as he thinks. I went ahead and bought his tie shoes in the size, but I think he'd be disappointed if he tried the size with toes. He wouldn't be in the toe part. Isn't that odd?

The Merril shoes really are washable. I put mine in the washing machine a few times already. I went up half a size.

I've dabbled with barefoot running a little. (I am a pretty newbie runner; I started running in March this year.) I find running barefoot very energizing. I ordered Merrill "barefoot" shoes, though. I don't know if these will really work for running or if nude barefoot is really a lot better. The shoes I ordered look sort of like Mary Janes. I'm planning to run in my first 5K Aug 11th. I don't know if I will run in the Mary Janes or with my standard running shoes. I'm sure I don't have the nerve to race truly barefoot!

Anyone have any thoughts on barefoot running or "barefoot" shoes (which sounds oxymoronic anyway)? Thanks!

Do u have a link for the shoes? I am on week 7 of C25k and still having some shin splint issues. Wondering if "barefoot" shoes would help.

Thanks,

Elise in NC

Here is the shoe I ordered.

My feeling is that barefoot is best, but only on natural surfaces. We are not meant to run/walk on hard surfaces. Our foot muscles try to adjust to get a grip on the firm surface by pronating in, and it just does damage. And I LOVE going barefoot.

I agree. The portion of my run where I've been barefootin' it has been mostly through the baseball field, so grass or sand. I love it. The moment my feet enter the grass, I feel like I could run for another hour.

I run barefoot and do not have (although I have thought about getting) any minimalist shoes. I usually run on a treadmill, but I do run outside occasionally. The Merrell shoes look cute and comfortable but last night I read a review about a shoe from Altra called the Eve. I'm contemplating getting a pair as I am not sure I will have the ability to run on a treadmill next year in Tokyo, although I don't worry about glass as the Japanese are obsessive about cleaning public spaces! I go barefoot in the house and around as much as possible, but wear a New Balance "lifestyle" shoe with a thin sole when I have to be shod. To switch can take some time and you will be sore as you start to use different muscles than with big, clunky shoes. I love it!

Edited by YaelAldrich
oopsie.

Do u have a link for the shoes? I am on week 7 of C25k and still having some shin splint issues. Wondering if "barefoot" shoes would help.

Thanks,

Elise in NC

I got shin splints easily wearing normal running shoes, too. I switched to vibram five fingers and have not had shin splints again. I love my vibrams!

I wear minimalist shoes to do most of my workouts (Crossfit and boot camp) and short runs. It is hard for me to give up regular running shoes for my long distance running (5K-1/2 Marathon). Dh has given up running shoes, but he's also strictly Crosfitting, so not much distance running. He did just run a 5K in his last week and did a 10K in them earlier this year. I'm interested in those who use them for longer distances.