Menu

Kindle Fire & Google Nexus 7 questions

Does anyone know how the Kindle Fire "connects" to the internet? Would I need to subscribe to an internet service to make it work?

Currently we have AT&T, and it has wireless in our house. Would that work? Also, how does it work when we are not close to our house.

Same question with the Google Nexus 7. Do I need to subscribe and how does it work when we are in motion?

Thanks so much.

Hot Lava Mama

Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire are wifi only so would only get online when you are near wifi. With only 8GB and no expandable memory or hdmi, no way I'd get either of these no matter what other great features they have.

Not arguing with your opinion, but you can get the Nexus 7 with 16 GB (for an extra $50). I agree that a memory card slot would have made both these devices much more appealing, but having used both of them I like them both. I was very surprised by how fast the Nexus is, and by the quality of its display. For its price-point, I'm impressed.

Our first computer had 1.6 GB of storage...

If you have wi-fi access, you probably won't even use the 8GB (which is more like 6 since the operating system takes up some space). If you are an amazon prime member, the Fire is absolutely worth the price due to amazon's cloud drive access.

Once out of your house, you'll only be able to access books and apps you have downloaded.

Here are a couple of good articles about getting good usage out of the Fire.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57325935-251/amazon-kindle-fire-is-8gb-enough/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/252821/get_more_out_of_your_kindle_fire_tablet_five_tips.html

Not arguing with your opinion, but you can get the Nexus 7 with 16 GB (for an extra $50). I agree that a memory card slot would have made both these devices much more appealing, but having used both of them I like them both. I was very surprised by how fast the Nexus is, and by the quality of its display. For its price-point, I'm impressed.

Yes, the price point is excellent and they both have some fantastic features if you are a mostly cloud user. I just like to have everything local in case I have no access to the net. I didn't know that about the 16gbm, it didn't mention it on the ad I saw, but even that is pretty slim for me. I have a ton of audiobooks, photos and movies on my tablet and I need the 32gb sd I have for it. :)

Huge android fan and I love to see the price points lowering. :D

But I think I still don't understand how it works. I need to understand if there will be an additional monthly fee I will need to consider if I get one of these. For example, we have a monthly fee for our internet connection at home. Will I have to do the same thing if I get one of these or will my only cost be the cost of the tablet?

Thanks so much!

Hot Lava Mama

But I think I still don't understand how it works. I need to understand if there will be an additional monthly fee I will need to consider if I get one of these. For example, we have a monthly fee for our internet connection at home. Will I have to do the same thing if I get one of these or will my only cost be the cost of the tablet?

Thanks so much!

Hot Lava Mama

No, there won't be any additional fee to use your existing wi-fi connection. All you should need to pay is the cost of the tablet, though I do recommend getting a good case to protect your new toy. :)

Yes, the price point is excellent and they both have some fantastic features if you are a mostly cloud user. I just like to have everything local in case I have no access to the net. I didn't know that about the 16gbm, it didn't mention it on the ad I saw, but even that is pretty slim for me. I have a ton of audiobooks, photos and movies on my tablet and I need the 32gb sd I have for it. :)

I hear you. I also much prefer to have all my stuff stored locally and I'm not really sold on the benefits of the cloud. I like the new tablets (we have a rooted Nook Color, three Fires, and a Nexus 7 in our home), but I still get the most use out of my third-generation iPod Touch because it has 64gb of storage and I have a ton of books, music, apps, etc. on it. I just inherited my dh's Fire and I'm using it primarily as an ereader because I know I can't fit all I'd like to onto it. My dh is the one who runs out and buys the new techy toys - if it were up to me, I'd wait until the new, cheaper tablets have expandable storage. I thought the Nook running Android from an sd card (with lots of storage) would do all I wanted it to, but it's been a clunker. :glare:

I hear you. I also much prefer to have all my stuff stored locally and I'm not really sold on the benefits of the cloud. I like the new tablets (we have a rooted Nook Color, three Fires, and a Nexus 7 in our home), but I still get the most use out of my third-generation iPod Touch because it has 64gb of storage and I have a ton of books, music, apps, etc. on it. I just inherited my dh's Fire and I'm using it primarily as an ereader because I know I can't fit all I'd like to onto it. My dh is the one who runs out and buys the new techy toys - if it were up to me, I'd wait until the new, cheaper tablets have expandable storage. I thought the Nook running Android from an sd card (with lots of storage) would do all I wanted it to, but it's been a clunker. :glare:

We are much alike then. :D

I love gadgets, hated my rooted Nook, adore my Kindle 3 and my Vizio tablet. My Samsung Vibrant is my mini tablet too. No expandable storage is just a total deal breaker for me. Oddly, except for my Kindle, but ebooks are mostly small file sizes and at 1700 plus books isn't even half full.

I feel so stupid asking such basic questions! We don't have a lot of gadgets, only because we can't afford it, not because I have any dislike for them. So, I don't completely understand how a lot of the tech toys work.

I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to get a tablet, but can't afford some of the more expensive ones. About $200 is all I can do, and as far as I can tell, it's either the Kindle Fire or Nexus.

For what it's worth, I would use it mostly for internet use...e-mail, reading WTM forum board, various web sites. Sounds like either would be o.k. We just need some relief taken off of our two computers. With 7 people always competing for "screen time", it gets annoying having to wait for someone to finish up their work before I can get on. Then of course as soon as a computer is free, someone needs something from me, so my "opportunity time" is gone!

Thanks!

Hot Lava Mama

For what it's worth, I would use it mostly for internet use...e-mail, reading WTM forum board, various web sites. Sounds like either would be o.k. We just need some relief taken off of our two computers. With 7 people always competing for "screen time", it gets annoying having to wait for someone to finish up their work before I can get on. Then of course as soon as a computer is free, someone needs something from me, so my "opportunity time" is gone!

If your primary use for a tablet is to surf the web, I would go with the Nexus 7. The Kindle Fire can browse the web, but it can be really slow. The Nexus does so much more quickly from what I've seen.

What tablet is this that has a card slot?

We have 3 fires and I use them on occasion. I've never had any issue with them while browsing the web, checking email, or watching videos. I don't know if you can get the nexus 7 through them, but, if you can't, I'd go with the fire just for amazon's customer service.

YDS's fire stopped charging last month. One chat session with them and they sent us a new one and paid shipping label to mail the old one back. Also, I just bought an android tablet from them which then died within 24 hours of my getting it. Again, they gave me no hassle about returnng the tablet and all the accessories I bought for it. They sent me a label that day, I mailed it that afternoon, and had my money back a day later. I am most impressed with amazon right now.

for $200 I'd get the Google tablet. The storage on the kindle is partitioned and while it holds 8gb overall, the kindle software dictates how that is divided. I have run out of app room on mine. You also get the google play store...Amazon doesn't have a few of the great apps I'd like available for Kindle. I don't much care for their browser either.

If you can do $250, I'd get the samsung galaxy tablet because that will accept an sd card.

What tablet is this that has a card slot?

Lots of them do. I have a Vizio 8" and I adore it, there are some problems from reviews with the charging port being touchy but I have no problem with mine.

http://store.vizio.com/accessories/vtab1008.html

It is expandable to 32 GB.

There are a lot of great tablets out there at a $200 price point. The key is to decide what you want/need it to do and then find one that will do it for you.

I had to have expandable storage, HDMI hookup, a front facing camera and an android os, so that is where I started when looking.

Lots of them do. I have a Vizio 8" and I adore it, there are some problems from reviews with the charging port being touchy but I have no problem with mine.

http://store.vizio.com/accessories/vtab1008.html

It is expandable to 32 GB.

There are a lot of great tablets out there at a $200 price point. The key is to decide what you want/need it to do and then find one that will do it for you.

I had to have expandable storage, HDMI hookup, a front facing camera and an android os, so that is where I started when looking.

Oh, I see. It's a micro sd slot. I'd need a full-sized slot. There are very few out there, and they are usually more like $400. I wonder if the yet-to-be-released 10" tablet will have it.

If I could find one that would run an app or software that would open my camera's 19+ MB RAW files I'd be sold. Even @ $400. That would be the top end of my range though.

• 3 months later...

I just got a Nexus 7 from Office Depot with 32gb storage for $229. This will be a completely new experience for me! I'm thinking of getting a keyboard and case for it for less than $8 on Amazon. Now I've got to decide what to get the dc (ages 12 and 11). Oh, and my dh (who is tech savy) says he can put on some kind of Kindle app so that I can still access Amazon's ecosystem of ebooks! I think I will wait for Black Friday tomorrow to see if any Kindle deals come forth!

Edit- just saw you have wireless. You're good to go at home after entering your wireless numbers and password into the tablet. The tablets can also be used to connect to the internet at any location that has free wifi access (ie public libraries, Starbucks, McDonald's, etc).

I have really enjoyed my fire. I am so not techy. My 12 year old bails me out all the time! No added fees. Even I can connect at Mcdonald etc. No added fees as long as you have wifi. It has been a really good investment for me. We use it tons during school. I keep it beside me and it is so easy to look stuff up.

If I could find one that would run an app or software that would open my camera's 19+ MB RAW files I'd be sold. Even @ $400. That would be the top end of my range though.

There's a camera connection kit for the iPads with the old 30-pin connector that allows you to read full-size SD cards (photos and videos only). I don't see one compatible with the current 4th generation, but a refurb 3 would do nicely. There are apps out there to read RAW files, such as this one.