Menu

How come?

stephanie

Why is it that some math programs have only 120/130, but programs like R&S or Abeka have 170? Is it b/c of the different approaches like mastery and spiral? Are there just more lessons when there is a mastery approach? I'm just dreading 170 math lessons! We've always had about 130...that's 2 more months of school if we do every lesson!

done Abeka for 1st through 6th grade math, so I guess we're used to 170 lessons. They're generally two pages long, and with the speed drill, it takes my youngest approximately 1 hour, so it's not too terribly overwhelming.

I have not seen R&S math---are the lessons relatively short? If that's the case, then 170 lessons may feel more "do-able". I think their grammar has 130 lessons, which gives you some leeway with longer lessons; if necessary, a particularly long lessons with R&S grammar can be stretched out over two days.

I'm not sure if this is much help, but some of it may depend upon the length of the lessons.

Just guessing but maybe the first 9 weeks are review. I have noticed that R&S begins with review from the school year before, which can easily be skipped by a homeschooler who continues math through the Summer. Nothing major just not stopping completely.

Since it is written for ps like Plaid Dad mentioned who take a few months of break before the next school year, thus the review weeks.

Again, I'm just guessing here:001_huh:

...around 140/150. I was obessing over finishing the book, then I remembered:

1. when my daughter was in school, she always brought home workbooks that weren't finished

2. I looked at the scope and sequence. Everything in those last lessons will be repeated at the beginning of the next year. So, why introduce her to something new, just so she can lose it over the summer, when she's going to get it the next year anyway.

I agree with another poster. In the beginning, it's all review. (we find that necessary around here)

HTH,

Patty

I think it is partially because Abeka and others include their tests in their lesson numbers, while Teaching Textbooks only has 120 regular lessons, but there are 20 or so quizes/tests, but they are numbered seperatly. That still leaves a margin, but I think that is due to the created for public school or created for homeschool that other posters mentioned. But we all know that public and private schools never finish every lesson.

Dorothy

Uh, yes, I have found have the 170 lessons in R&S a little daunting at times! I am also one that has a hard time not finishing the book. What I have found in the 1st and 2nd grade level is is that I am able to skip about 1 lesson a week. I pick one that has no new material in it and I only skip it if I feel like my son is really grasping the material well. If you are able to do that, it will make a big difference.

Lisa

Could it be a difference between programs that were written primarily for the school market versus those that are designed for homeschoolers?

By jove, I think we have an answer!

I've used R&S math for 6 years, and we have *never* done every single lesson. There is SO MUCH review -- many lessons teach one new thing and they practice it then spend the rest of the lesson reviewing other things. It's a fantastic program, and my kids have learned well. But I combine lessons, skip lessons, etc.