Menu

I am cured of SL LA, Finally!

Once again I was thinking of using SL LA. I have tried SL LA many times only to send it back because it was unusable for my family. But here I am again trying to find a Language for dd and since SL redid the LA I gave it a look even put it in my cart. The 3 samples they give online for LA with 4-5 readers actually was what I wanted and was getting excited...THIS might be it. Last night I downloaded the first 3 weeks and my excitement plummeted. Week two has a nice copywork passage from More Stories in Grandma's Attic where the grammar lesson is on possession. You teach that possession is shown by using 's and have them find the word that shows possession in the sentence...Mrs. Carter's baby. Great job! But now to confuse the child...also in the copywork passage is the words... Lucy's still... which is not a possession but a contraction for Lucy is. Now the child is confused. Are you telling me that SL could not find another paragraph in that whole book that had only 's for possession in it? Why use this passage? Yes, it is a small thing but why not eliminate these small problems that confuse?

I also saw SL continues to give examples of the writing assignments that were written by an experienced writer. How are you suppose to get a feel for what level of writing your child should be doing if the examples are written by someone well above the level of the intended student?

So...after many years and many tries I can honestly say FAREWELL to SL LA. You will not tempt me anymore with words like 'NEW" and "IMPROVED". "REDONE" or "EVEN BETTER". I can honestly say I am finally cured.

That's what I was thinking.

Lucy's still bubbled and perked as she worked throughout the night, by the light of the moon. ;)

Well, maybe a little moonshine is what is needed. At this point I am willing to use whatever it takes to find a La that will work for us.

The sentence reads...

Besides, Lucy's still asleep.

Contraction, right?

Well, maybe a little moonshine is what is needed. At this point I am willing to use whatever it takes to find a La that will work for us.

The sentence reads...

Besides, Lucy's still asleep.

Contraction, right?

Yup.

I'd be annoyed.

Although I like the idea of explaining moonshine...

You're not the only person unhappy with SL.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=412096

Saw it. I am trying to be good and not say much.

Hubby wanted to know why I was considering them again...if the same people are writing it then the same problems will be there. I hate it when he uses logic on me, but he was right.

Are you sure it's not possession? Maybe Lucy is making moonshine. We can't know without the rest of the sentence. :lol:

That's what I was thinking.

Lucy's still bubbled and perked as she worked throughout the night, by the light of the moon. ;)

:lol: as I read the OP, that was actually the first thing that ran through my mind. I figured it was because on our walk through a National Park this weekend, a still was pointed out in the self-guided walk brochure.

Guest Cherry Limeade

Congratulations! I was cured when we went to have DD tested for dyslexia and had to provide info on what we were using for school.

The examiner said she looked at their program and it was a sorry excuse for a language arts program.

She put the blame for DD's reading difficulties right on SL LA. We switched to Explode the Code and DD suddenly improved by leaps and bounds.

Wish I hadn't wasted that time and money in the first place. :glare:

Im sorry you were not inoculated after your first purchase.;)

:lol: I looked at Sonlight about 5 years ago and made purchases. I never used the materials. I kept wanting to do something different. I liked the idea, but it didn't work. Since than, I kept thinking in my head, I really like Sonlight. Maybe it would work if I tried it now so I purchased another round this past year. Did I use it, no. Why do I want this to work?! Waaah- I need an inoculation too! :banghead:

What is it about SL LA that keeps you coming back even though it didn't work?! I have done the same thing. I bought their LA once; Quit half-way through because it wasn't happening. Bought it AGAIN; Quit once again. I told myself, NO, I will not buy SL LA for the third time! I am finally cured as well.

I switched to Evan-Moor Grammar books and I think they got more out of those than SL's LA! (Though I feel so mean for saying it.)

I think one thing about Sonlight is they are dang. good. advertisers. They're always "improving," their website is *awesome,* it's easy to order from, their catalog is amazing... Those peeps know how to market their product. So much so that people like you and I buy it and don't like it, and we buy it again next year!! :lol:

(Incidentally, I'm quite sure my oldest is dyslexic, too. :001_huh:)

What is it about SL LA that keeps you coming back even though it didn't work?! I think one thing about Sonlight is they are dang. good. advertisers. They're always "improving," their website is *awesome,* it's easy to order from, their catalog is amazing... Those peeps know how to market their product. So much so that people like you and I buy it and don't like it, and we buy it again next year!! :lol:

I think it is Homeschool Meth!;) I just keep needing it again and again. I can't break the habit.

It's definitely the advertising. I cannot help but imagine that if I have SL LA my children will be just as happy to sit down and do grammar, writing, etc. as the ones in those photos. And having everything neatly scheduled out was a big draw. I've tried it twice and failed. I *really* just don't like it. And I don't like the fact that I am forced to buy it along with my next core!

Congratulations! I was cured when we went to have DD tested for dyslexia and had to provide info on what we were using for school.

The examiner said she looked at their program and it was a sorry excuse for a language arts program.

She put the blame for DD's reading difficulties right on SL LA. We switched to Explode the Code and DD suddenly improved by leaps and bounds.

Wish I hadn't wasted that time and money in the first place. :glare:

Wow, if they gave you any specific info, I think SL needs to hear this kind of thing. I agree, I love the *idea* of their LA but the execution has never worked for us. I tried K, sold it. Tried 1, returned it or sold it...can't remember now. Used just over half of 3/D (it was "new & improved" that year :lol:) I wanted to like it--it sounded so good to have LA incorporated with readers & eventually history & lit...but I learned the hard way that until a child's skills are ready to put everything together, that's just not a good idea. Now that I think about it...I didn't have all of those subjects woven together until high school! Wish that thought would have occurred to me about a decade ago :tongue_smilie:. The idea probably still would have appealed to me though! :lol: Those "natural" "CM-ish" type ideas always called to me & worked for some things...not so much for others. My kids really needed things separated out, and needed explicit, incremental teaching.