Menu

What are you canning and freezing this year?

I love this time of year! I'm going to can peaches with my SIL. Each of us will can 2 bushels. I'll also make applesauce to freeze with my mom and SIL, we'll do a total of 5 bushels in a day. We'll also have corn to freeze and tomato juice, pizza sauce and spaghetti sauce to can. What are you canning and freezing this year?

Hey Kathy! I'm in the process of freezing green beans right now, I did a few peas, but didn't get very many. I will be doing tomato juice and spaghetti sauce. I also dice some tomatoes and freeze them to use instead of buying diced tomatoes. I will freeze diced peppers. I am trying dried beans this year along with popcorn. I will be freezing peaches and canning applesauce too.

It's tons of work and wears me out, but it feels good when I have tons of food ready for winter!

Oh, freezing diced tomatoes - that's a great idea! Although, I only use diced tomatoes in my spahgetti sauce and if I can sauce I won't need them. :) I'll have to think it through.

I'll also be freezing diced peppers. I chop mine and freeze them in ice cube trays, then dump the cubes into a gallon bag. Whenever I want green peppers for a recipe I just pull out a green pepper ice cube. How do you freeze yours?

You know you do it backwards - you should can peaches and freeze applesauce. I think we've said that before!! :)

I'll be doing pickled green beans and pickled beets. I will have tomatoes too but I'm not sure what I'll do with those. I have a great green tomato chutney recipe from a newspaper article from last year. I love it. I'll freeze that. I make pumpkin puree for muffins in the winter. They are yummy! I might make some applesauce too if I feel the financial pinch.

Freezing: Hopefully green beans - if the rabbits don't eat them AGAIN. Tomato sauce and spaghetti sauce and salsa. Peppers (if they ever grow!) and onions. Pumpkin puree. Apple sauce and apple pies. Strawberries and blueberries. Hopefully corn, though probably not much.

When you freeze diced tomatoes, do you blanch and peel them or anything? This is a very cool idea, one I can't believe I haven't considered! How incredibly useful!

I'm afraid to can. Don't trust myself to do it right.

I like to freeze and dehydrate instead of canning.

The kids and I just froze 30 pints of blueberries yesterday!!! :drool5: As the colder months come we will probably turn some of the blueberries into syrup or jam. :drool: Along with our previously frozen stash of strawberries.:D

We will also be freezing sliced green peppers, green beans, and corn this year. We will also be making a trip to a local orchard to pick up some apples, some of which we will freeze and some we will turn into applesauce and can. And some we will feed to the deer. :D

Oh, and right around Thanksgiving we will be freezing pork chops, ribs and sausage again.;) Then, right around Dec. it will be deer season. More meat to freeze.:D

Freezing: Hopefully green beans - if the rabbits don't eat them AGAIN. Tomato sauce and spaghetti sauce and salsa. Peppers (if they ever grow!) and onions. Pumpkin puree. Apple sauce and apple pies. Strawberries and blueberries. Hopefully corn, though probably not much.

When you freeze diced tomatoes, do you blanch and peel them or anything? This is a very cool idea, one I can't believe I haven't considered! How incredibly useful!

I'm afraid to can. Don't trust myself to do it right.

I freeze our cherry tomatoes whole and then toss them into soups or casseroles over the winter months. I might try the diced tomato route for the larger tomatoes IF I have too many of them. :)

I will be freezing blueberries too, but they aren't ripe here quite yet. You should try freezing applesauce, it's the best I tell ya!

I haven't tried that yet. I was afraid the applesauce would be too runny after thawing it. So I can the applesauce instead. But freezing applesauce would sure be a HUGE timesaver for me.:D

canning: strawberry jam, peach jam (for the first time made with peaches from our own tree!!), blueberry jam, tomatoes, tomato sauce, pickled red beats, pickles (sweet, dill, bread and butter), peaches, apples, apple sauce

freezing: red beats, green beans, broccoli, squash (for grilling), peppers, pizza packs (made up of onions, eggplant, peppers). We also will freeze cantalope if we get enough (makes great smoothies!)

We usually freeze some swiss chard, but it turned bitter early this year.

I've frozen strawberries & jam already, I will be freezing green beans, broccoli & Zucchini as they become ready. I will hopefully can chipotle salsa that dh and I make if we have enough tomatoes. I will be picking blueberries next week for the freezer and we'll see what happens with the cucumbers, might be canning those too. Oh, if someone has apples, I'd can applesauce. Every year is different, but we are in a newer house, so this is the first garden here and last year I only froze what my grandma gave me.

Phlox

I was afraid the applesauce would be too runny after thawing it.

The applesauce is not runny and it tastes like freshly made applesauce. It is also really yummy to eat partially thawed, mmmmmmm. :)

The applesauce is not runny and it tastes like freshly made applesauce. It is also really yummy to eat partially thawed, mmmmmmm. :)

:drool5::drool5::drool5:

I have been converted!!! Partially frozen applesauce sounds yummy!