Menu

New to forum and considering homeschooling!

Guest ckelly626

Guest ckelly626

Hi! I'm new and wanted to introduce myself. I'm a mum of 2 (4 years and 1 year). I am considering homeschooling and we want to use this year as a trial run. My 4 year old doesn't really need it but I want to see if I am up to the task, IYKWIM. I have tried "letter of the week" and my daughter LOVES to do school but I am finding that I really need something that it all laid out for me (does that make me lazy?!?). I am considering the HOD stuff. However, I looked at the Little Hands curriculum and it seems too simple for my 4 year old. The Little Hearts seems more age appropriate for what she already knows and how much time she is able to do "school". I found the "letter of the week" stuff wasn't enough, she wanted more school time. If you can offer any thoughts or advice I'd really appreciate it. To me this curriculum seems to be the best fit within my budget (especially if I can get the stuff used!). Thanks and looking forward to browsing and learning all I can from this board (already a bit, ok a lot, overwhelmed!).

Caroline

Edited by ckelly626

I would take a look at ambleside online also. Five in a row might interest you also. With a 4 year old so much can be done with a big stack of library books. Do you have a library near? Reading with her is the most important thing you can do. Choose a large selection-- numbers, letters, nature, poetry. It can be really fun and inexpensive.

For free stuff, take a look at Elizabeth B's posts on Phonics, using the Blend Phonics Reader and Webster's Speller. Some children are just really ready to go when it comes to school and introducing phonics and reading at an early age and at a gentle pace is something that you can do.

Another thing to think about adding in, since she really wants to do school is some math. A free program to look at would be MEP Reception. (Mathematics Enhancement Programme.)

I also agree with the previous poster that you might take a look at AO. It provides a good look at CM philosophy, so it would be a good education opportunity for you. Also check out The Well Trained Mind and read through at least the Grammar Grades section. Now is the right time to start thinking about how you see education and how you would like your home-education experience to be for yourself and your children. (BTW, be ready for reality to be somewhat different! You might find that your vision turns out to be less than ideal, and the best may not be what you had in mind!)

Most of all, read, read, read to your children. I'm not sure you can read enough. Spend time on cutting out things with scissors, pasting them on paper and talking a lot. Even if you are simply talking to yourself the younger one will get a lot of language that way, and the older child is learning about how to sequence things. Talk about the books you've read. Have the child tell you about the names of the characters, where the story took place, what she liked the most, where she thought it was most exciting. That's beginning narration, and useful.

Be sure that if you have the weather for it that you get the children outside as much as you can, and that you do pay attention to their attention span. CM believed in very short lessons for the young child, and I think that is a very good way to start with very young children who are eager to learn. You don't wear them out that way, they keep wanting more, and you help them to learn some balance between work, play and education.

Welcome! I don't think you're lazy at all for wanting something laid out! I find that I like to take advantage of the work others have done for me and spend my time and energy in other areas.

I bought Little Hands years ago when I was doing the same thing with my now 8yo. It was a flop for him at 3yo so I think you're probably on the right track. It was way too simple and not engaging for him. It totally turned me off to HOD even though I like the philosophy. I wonder if I'd tried Little Hearts at 4, things would have been better. Turns out, the guide format wouldn't have fit my teaching style anyway. Instead, I turned to Sonlight which has been a great fit for my literature obsessed dc.

Have fun beginning your journey.

Hi! I'm new and wanted to introduce myself. I'm a mum of 2 (4 years and 1 year). I am considering homeschooling and we want to use this year as a trial run. My 4 year old doesn't really need it but I want to see if I am up to the task, IYKWIM. I have tried "letter of the week" and my daughter LOVES to do school but I am finding that I really need something that it all laid out for me (does that make me lazy?!?). I am considering the HOD stuff. However, I looked at the Little Hands curriculum and it seems too simple for my 4 year old. The Little Hearts seems more age appropriate for what she already knows and how much time she is able to do "school". I found the "letter of the week" stuff wasn't enough, she wanted more school time. If you can offer any thoughts or advice I'd really appreciate it. To me this curriculum seems to be the best fit within my budget (especially if I can get the stuff used!). Thanks and looking forward to browsing and learning all I can from this board (already a bit, ok a lot, overwhelmed!).

Caroline

Welcome. :)

Little Hands overwhelms me, too. I am not a fan of HOD. I think it's way too scripted, not nearly flexible enough for creativity (even folks who want things more structured still need wiggle room).

I do like Ambleside Online. I wish I'd heard of Charlotte Mason back when I started hsing in 1982. :)

However, let me point out that teaching a four-year-old isn't going to be a good indicator of whether or not homeschooling would work for you. When she's five or six, maybe; not four. There will be a whole conversation quietly going on in your head about how if it doesn't work out you can put her in school with no problems; don't underestimate the effects of that conversation on your determination to continue on even when life looks like a dog's breakfast. :D

Welcome! I agree, 4 is tough! But, it can be so much fun! If I were you, I wouldn't invest too much money in anything, and instead just focus on trying to bring education into play.

By that, I mean go outside and look at bugs. Talk about bugs.

When the leaves change, talk about seasons.

Go to the zoo. Talk about animals.

Count everything.

Maybe start with phonics instruction, but she may not be there yet.

Have you thought about starting with nature studies? It is a good way to engage young children while sitting a routine of having a learning time in your day.

Here is the ultimate source which is also free! Outdoor challenges

I also encourge reading, reading, and more reading. I think Five in a Row would be a great way to start.

However, let me point out that teaching a four-year-old isn't going to be a good indicator of whether or not homeschooling would work for you. When she's five or six, maybe; not four. There will be a whole conversation quietly going on in your head about how if it doesn't work out you can put her in school with no problems; don't underestimate the effects of that conversation on your determination to continue on even when life looks like a dog's breakfast. :D

I do agree with this! I think there is even a huge gap in between Kindy and 1st grade and I'm finding 3rd grade another mental milestone. I do love working with my 4yos and investing in great books, but it is very different. The best thing the first couple of years did for me was get me in a homeschooling mindset and gave me time to research what I wanted to use in early elementary.

I would very much recommend Five in a Row. I did with my dd when she was 4yo and am starting it with ds4 next month. There are several lesson plans to choose from each day. Each lesson has structure, but you have the flexibility of choosing what you want to focus on. It also touches on a very wide range of topics, which helped me and dd to discover her academic loves (for her, it turned out to be geography/history). But I really like that you get to do a little of everything. I couldn't handle that for an older child, but it is perfect for 4yo.

Guest ckelly626

Thank you all for your input! I have A LOT to consider! ;) I guess my problem is me. I always worry that we're not doing enough, that she'll be behind because she doesn't attend preschool (every other kid her age I know does!). We do a ton of reading (Thursday is library day), I can read chapter books to her and she doesn't need the pictures. She knows all her letters and sounds and is starting to string words together. I don't consider her bright (maybe she is, amybe she isn't - just not something I think about). I've just worked with her when she's wanted it and she wants it a lot. I guess I just really feel like I need direction. Thanks again for all the advice. I'll definatly look into all you guys suggested!