Menu

Honey-Baked Lentils are Delicious!

I'm heading to the Bulk Barn today to buy a LARGE quantity of lentils, in all shapes and colours! (Oh, it must be the winter crazy train that's making me this excited to go Bulk Barn shopping *sigh*)

This is my kind of cooking: quick, easy, pantry ingredients; 3 minutes tops to throw the dish together, bake and walk away. In all fairness, my Peachlets weren't nearly as thrilled as I was . . . but what's new?

Anyone else have a favourite "quick & dirty" legume recipe - I'm up for anything. Have to build on this success! (BTW, I did add rice and it made a casserole type dish!)

To make 6 main-dish servings, you will need:

1 cup dry lentils

2 cups water

2 Tbsp. honey

2 Tbsp. soy sauce

2 Tbsp. olive oil

1/2 tsp. ginger

1 clove garlic, crushed

1 small onion or 1/4 large onion, diced

salt and pepper to taste

It will have a soupy consistency, suitable for serving in bowls or over rice or in a baked potato or squash. If you prefer a more solid, casserole-like consistency, add:

1/3 cup rice

Combine all ingredients in a casserole dish. Bake, covered, at 350F until tender, about an hour and a half.

We baked some squash at the same time to make a complete meal with no additional energy use. It was a tasty combination of foods.

This is a family favorite and was my Mother-in-law's-- she passed away 2 yrs ago but we love to make it and it brings such fond memories for all of us!

Nana's Lentil Spaghetti Sauce

1 medium onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

1/2 cup oil

1 1/2 cups of dried lentils, washed ( I actually use about 1 cup)

1/4 tsp crushed red pepper or 1 hot red pepper, crumbled

2 1/2 tsp salt (I use less than that and so did my mil)

1/2 tsp pepper

4 cups water

2 beef bullion cubes

1/4 tsp dried basil

1/4 tsp oregano

1 - 16oz can tomatoes (I put in blender- dh doesn't like chunky tomatoes)

1 -6oz can tomato paste

1 Tbsp vinegar

Saute the onion and garlic in oil for 5 minutes. Add lentils, red pepper, salt, pepper, and water. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. Then add the remaining ingredients and simmer uncovered about 1 hr, stirring occasionally.

This freezes very well also! Enjoy!

The spicy lentil bake was yummy.

I used frozen corn instead of green peppers, and used whatever spices I had in my cabinet -- but it turned out lovely. Surprised at how cheap and easy it is to cook with lentils. I enjoyed Nestof3's dish as much as the honey-baked lentils.

On the down side, we ate honey-baked lentils on Friday evening, and spicey-baked lentils this evening, so our new family theme song is "Rudey Tooty" . . . beware!!

• 2 months later...