Menu

Half-day school a good compromise or worst of both worlds?

Hi,

I just posted on the afterschooling board about a choice I need to make and would love more opinions. I was considering ps for my 2nd grader next year so that I could have a little time away and she could make some friends locally and have a teacher other than me, but I was reluctant to sign on for a full day. I thought to ask the principal if she could go half a day (through lunch and recess), and then come home, and he agreed!

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this kind of arrangement, and whether it was successful. My plan is to do all the academics she would miss at school in the afternoons and also attend some afternoon homeschool gatherings/classes.

So, what do you think? Best of both worlds, or worst of both worlds? :)

Basically, it's either this or full-on homeschooling, as I don't want to send her to school for a full day.

TIA!

Does the school follow a regular daily schedule- meaning, for example, is math ALWAYS in the morning? Will it be like a high school schedule with specific classes at specific times, or is it more free-flowing depending on the teacher's plans for the lesson?

What about assemblies, field trips, half-days, standardized test days, school programs?

Our oldest did two classes a day in junior high- the first two of the day. We found that when she got home, she needed time to mentally switch modes before she started her homeschooling subjects. And there was homework to be done for those two classes, also. For us, it wasn't a good fit- we had to stick to the school's schedule and it interfered with our school day.

But a 2nd grader might be a whole different ball of wax. Why stay for lunch if you've got two other kids at home that you'll need to feed anyway? Around here, our elementary schools serve lunch at 10:30 and if my kid ate then, he's surely be hungry when he got home, and that might throw our whole eating routine off.

I am impressed that your school was willing to work with you! And trying it for a few months can't hurt.

Does the school follow a regular daily schedule- meaning, for example, is math ALWAYS in the morning? Will it be like a high school schedule with specific classes at specific times, or is it more free-flowing depending on the teacher's plans for the lesson?

What about assemblies, field trips, half-days, standardized test days, school programs?

Yes, it is a very regular schedule. For school programs, field trips, etc., I think they would let us decide what we wanted to do. She would probably go to the field trips. If there was a class party in the afternoon or something, I think she could stay for it. I get what you are saying though--there will probably be some confusion in the scheduling sometimes.

Our oldest did two classes a day in junior high- the first two of the day. We found that when she got home, she needed time to mentally switch modes before she started her homeschooling subjects. And there was homework to be done for those two classes, also. For us, it wasn't a good fit- we had to stick to the school's schedule and it interfered with our school day.

But a 2nd grader might be a whole different ball of wax. Why stay for lunch if you've got two other kids at home that you'll need to feed anyway? Around here, our elementary schools serve lunch at 10:30 and if my kid ate then, he's surely be hungry when he got home, and that might throw our whole eating routine off.

I am impressed that your school was willing to work with you! And trying it for a few months can't hurt.

The lunch IS early (11:00, I think). I wanted her to stay for that for the social part. I do think she might have trouble switching gears when she gets home. Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

Sounds to me like they want the funding, and half day (actually, sounds more like 2/3 day) is sufficient for them to get the student funding, so they don't really care about what is really workable as long as they get the dollars.

I'd think that leaving part way through the day would put her in a rather conspicuous and awkward position socially unless there are several others in the class doing the same thing.

I also agree that, at the elementary level, you may not see a lot of consistency in scheduling, making it harder to fill in the gaps or be totally in charge of any given subject.

:iagree:

And if the other kids make a big deal about it she may be asking to STAY for the whole day. Likewise, if she makes friends she may want to stay and be with them.

I personally don't wish to homeschool and be on the PS schedule unless I am working part time or have some dire need to do so. But, if it works for you, it may work out.

Dawn

Sounds to me like they want the funding, and half day (actually, sounds more like 2/3 day) is sufficient for them to get the student funding, so they don't really care about what is really workable as long as they get the dollars.

I'd think that leaving part way through the day would put her in a rather conspicuous and awkward position socially unless there are several others in the class doing the same thing.

I also agree that, at the elementary level, you may not see a lot of consistency in scheduling, making it harder to fill in the gaps or be totally in charge of any given subject.

:iagree: I believe it counts as a full day for them if they serve the child lunch. Around here, in snowy weather, they push the kids to eat lunch early if they have to send them home early so they can count it as a full day and not have to make it up later. (So much for academics; it's all about the money.)

I think, in theory, this sounds like a great plan, but in reality, it sounds like it could be a hassle. You'll still need to feed the younger children, and you'll be needing to drag them out to pick her up too. It might be harder for her to switch gears and do any sort of academics when she gets home, and it might be awkward for her socially if she's leaving in the middle of the day, especially if they do fun stuff in the afternoons.

I'm not saying it couldn't work, but I think there are some concerns that might not make it worth it. Now, for a middle or high schooler, I think differently; my state allows students to take a class or two or extracurriculars at the public school, and I could see doing that for high school, especially for languages or sciences (or math if I wasn't comfortable teaching math).

I am not sure this would be very effective if you plan to get in any academic teaching in the afternoon. Even staying until lunch is very tiring for an elementary school age student, and I would not expect much in terms of concentration and motivation if she had wasted her most productive morning hours in school.

(In my home country, it is recognized that young students can not work all day, and public school for 2nd graders ends between 11am and noon)

ETA: I can see part time enrollment as an excellent option in high school to cover specific classes.