Menu

Who told me chicken mummies don't smell?

BugsMama

It's not that bad.... a lot of the problem is the smell of the rubber gloves and rubbing alcohol, combined with the dust when we go to dump it and move it.

And the skin on the chicken is changing, and it looks gross. But it is still smushy and moveable, and a weird brownish dead color.

It has a distinct smell for sure.... not like rotting nasty stink.... but a stink.

I still think the project is cool. It will be cooler when it is DONE.

I had wanted to photograph and blog our progress, but the puking was a little distracting :lol:

It's not that bad.... a lot of the problem is the smell of the rubber gloves and rubbing alcohol, combined with the dust when we go to dump it and move it.

And the skin on the chicken is changing, and it looks gross. But it is still smushy and moveable, and a weird brownish dead color.

It has a distinct smell for sure.... not like rotting nasty stink.... but a stink.

I still think the project is cool. It will be cooler when it is DONE.

I had wanted to photograph and blog our progress, but the puking was a little distracting :lol:

Ick -what did you use to mummify it? I don't think salt or baking soda/salt work very well. I added washing soda, which is actually the chemical the Egyptians used. Only had to change it once, and the thing was dry and pretty much mummified at that point already. The drying solution was hardened and had to chip at it with a knife to get it off. (Did use a Cornish hen rather than a chicken - less real estate to dry out ;)).

Ick -what did you use to mummify it? I don't think salt or baking soda/salt work very well. I added washing soda, which is actually the chemical the Egyptians used. Only had to change it once, and the thing was dry and pretty much mummified at that point already. The drying solution was hardened and had to chip at it with a knife to get it off. (Did use a Cornish hen rather than a chicken - less real estate to dry out ;)).

I did as the activity guide said- I may try washing soda next- thanks for the tip!

Barbie dolls are an awesome idea.

The cornish game hen WAS the plan, until my 6 year old said it was supposed to be a pharaoh, and the chicken was NOT pharaoh sized. Who can argue with that logic??

The tupperware is now out on the balcony, in the hopes that the heat will help it dry out even faster.

I made 4 chicken mummies with my 3rd classes (pre-kids) when studying the ancients and we never had one smell! I'm so sorry!!

I plead not guilty! I didn't use the SOTW instructions, so I can't really compare. I'm 99% sure we just used straight kosher salt, on a cornish hen, in a big tupperware container, changed much less frequently than SOTW recommends. It's been 7 years since I was in the classroom, though, so my memory is definitely rusty.

Ours has been drying for about a month. We used the washing soda mix and there's been no smell other than alcohol. We also dumped a bunch of ginger and cinnamon in, which helps. I'd be worried if it was mushy. We changed the mixture twice in the first week, and by the end of the week it was looking pretty dry.

My daughter is obssessed with Ancient Egypt. I'm still trying to get it through her head, they were all humans & people as well.

We took the easy way out, watching documentarys, reading books. She wrapped her barbie up and created organ jars before we even began SOTW lol. I purchased Danger Dans Mummy Kit (using clay to make wrappings) and Lift the Lid on Mummies. Considering I have one very curious and into everything DS, plus two prowling cats, the chicken would of been the worst idea ever!

Now I'm extra glad I skipped it after seeing numerous photo blogs on the process :lol:

I'd be worried if it was mushy. We changed the mixture twice in the first week, and by the end of the week it was looking pretty dry.

:iagree: Wonder if it depends on the humidity/heat where you live? Or if it's an air tight container? We're in the dry sw. Plus we kept it in a 5 gal bucket outside. :tongue_smilie:

Plus once it's dry don't let your kids entomb it in the yard - if you have a dog!!

It was a pretty meaty chicken.... It looks about as dry as expected I think.... maybe. Although now I am second guessing!

The smell really is *mostly* rubbing alcohol..... But I don't think I am going to change it again for a while, we have been doing it once a week. We moved it outside to the sun with the new salt, and I am leaving it there for a couple weeks before checking on it.

Hopefully the ewww factor is gone before we check it next!