Menu

Anyone have concrete countertops?

We are moving this weekend! Yea! I guess I should say we are moving all our belongings to storage since our new house is not yet livable.

One of the things dh is doing before we move in is knock down a wall between kitchen and living ....I will have a cook top and double ovens....and he is saying he wants to do concrete countertops.

Anyone have them? Opinions?

I think they look very cool, and we considered them when we remodeled our kitchen, but if your dh is planning on doing them himself, be sure to do a lot of research first, as it's nowhere near as simple a project as you might initially think.

If you're planning to hire someone to build them for you, you may find (as we did,) that the price is higher for the concrete than it is for high-end granite or Silestone, because it's a very labor-intensive job.

A neighbor has them. They aren't smooth enough, IMHO, even with the urethane or whatever it is sealing them. I can't imagine how much bacteria must be hiding in the tiny crevices. Perhaps having a professional put them in would have improved the surface and the appearance, but the labor cost would have been huge.

DH, a contractor in his former life, put concrete counter tops in our bathroom. He mixed a warm orangish brown pigment into the concrete. It sounds ugly, but it looks nice. The down side is cleaning the toothpaste and soap scum off the counter. It does stain a little. He formed the counter top outside and sealed it multiple times, then installed. The sink is an under-mount. Hire someone with good concrete skills.

We are moving this weekend! Yea! I guess I should say we are moving all our belongings to storage since our new house is not yet livable.

One of the things dh is doing before we move in is knock down a wall between kitchen and living ....I will have a cook top and double ovens....and he is saying he wants to do concrete countertops.

Anyone have them? Opinions?

One of my sons and his wife did concrete tops and he has done them for several other people. I was talking about them but he didn't advice them for me. (He knows me pretty well.) He said they need to be resealed every few months (I am very sensitive to chemicals). Other than that they liked them.

I did ask if they would put them in another house if they were to build again and he didn't think so. Can't remember why though.:tongue_smilie:

Not much help, huh.

We are actually making ours right now. The one that we have already made is super smooth. We have another one ready to unmold. It is a lot of work, but they look great. It took us forever to agree on a countertop material and I am glad that we both liked the concrete idea. I say make a small one and see if you like it.

Hmmmm.......food for thought....I will pass on the concerns to my concrete man...urrr...dh. ;) He is pretty clever and I trust him but I want to like my counter tops A LOT. I've been cursed with WHITE countertops in my last 3 houses so I want something pretty this time.