Menu

Longtime Tightwad Gazette fan, changing my bulk-buying ways...

I read Amy Dacyczyn's Tightwad Gazette books about 15 years ago and was an instant fan. I especially liked her advice about stocking up on sale items that you know you'll use. I've always bought in bulk at the warehouse club (after carefully comparing prices to make sure I'm getting a bargain, of course!).

We just downsized our house a few months ago. I can't stock up any longer. I just can't.

My "pantry" is outside in the garage. (I have a cupboard pantry that holds about a third of what my former walk-in pantry held).

My fridge is smaller - stuff is literally falling out.

I don't have a laundry room - just cabinets above the washer & dryer, again, in the garage. So no room to stockpile paper goods & cleaning supplies.

I remember she said you should use space under your bed for food storage. Can't do that - THAT space is for boxes of books that I no longer have shelves for!

It's very strange paying a few cents more for an item because I'm buying it in a smaller size...

Where do I turn in my tightwad membership card? :001_unsure:

I'm in a place right now where decluttering and simplifying is taking priority over saving. Except for stuff we use constantly (toilet paper and paper towels), I'm trying to buy very little in bulk and just just buy as needed--I'm sick of storing stuff! I'm sure I'll change my mind later, but heck if I'm not still using deodorant I bought six years ago!

Did you downsize to save money? If you did, you are likely more than making up for the few extra cents you're paying for your products.

Our house was already a down size :D we're just trying to streamline everything so we can have more quality time and space.

I think I remember Amy saying to make the most of what you have. If you have excess space (like she does in her big house, barn, and outbuildings) use it to store things purchased on sale, if you have excess time use it to do money saving activities, if you have excess creativity use it to create savings in other ways. So you can still be a tightwad if you use whatever you have in excess (it need not be space) to improve your family's financial standing (work at home, comparison shop on big items, cook from scratch, etc.) Buying in bulk is not the litmus test of a tightwad.

Did you downsize to save money? If you did, you are likely more than making up for the few extra cents you're paying for your products.

Yes, that was part of it. We're saving a fortune on gas b/c dh no longer has a long commute. Also, dd can now live at home instead of in the dorm. So overall it's still a savings.

Buying in bulk is not the litmus test of a tightwad.

I gotta remember that next time I buy a 3-pack of paper towels instead of a 12-pack. :D