Menu

Gift giving fatigue - Eagle scout question

In a 2 month period, we've had the following events (with people close enough that we wanted to give a gift):

1 wedding

6 graduations

1 18th birthday

I'm so happy to be part of these events, but...we have spent a lot of money on them this summer! The wedding and one of the graduations also involved travel.

So now we've been invited to an Eagle Scout Court of Honor and party at the new Eagle's house. This young man is someone to whom we just gave a graduation gift. Do we need a gift for this occasion, or will a congratulatory card suffice?

In a 2 month period, we've had the following events (with people close enough that we wanted to give a gift):

1 wedding

6 graduations

1 18th birthday

I'm so happy to be part of these events, but...we have spent a lot of money on them this summer! The wedding and one of the graduations also involved travel.

So now we've been invited to an Eagle Scout Court of Honor and party at the new Eagle's house. This young man is someone to whom we just gave a graduation gift. Do we need a gift for this occasion, or will a congratulatory card suffice?

As the mom of an upcoming Eagle, I would say go with the card. Several of our troops Eagles have not even had ceremonies because they didn't want people to feel they needed to bring gifts. My sons would be pleased with cards :)

As the mom of an upcoming Eagle, I would say go with the card. Several of our troops Eagles have not even had ceremonies because they didn't want people to feel they needed to bring gifts. My sons would be pleased with cards :)

Thank you! I'm relieved that you don't think it's tacky. :)

Both of my sons are Eagles and were delighted to just get cards.

Now... that might have been because they had to write thank you notes for the gifts they recieved. But, honestly, a Congratulations card is perfectly appropriate.

The Eagle ceremonies we've been to have never been more than 1 hour, usually like 45 minutes. Depends how many speakers they have lined up. I am also in favor of a nice card, especially if it has a hand written sentiment with it.

Oh, another question!

The ceremony and dinner are several hours apart. How long should we expect the ceremony to be? I'm wondering if we can come home in between.

Ask the family. Depending on how many boys are making Eagle at the same ceremony, and whether the dinner and ceremony are at the same location, and whether the dinner is for all or for just one family's guests (as an add on to the ceremony), well, you get the idea. The variations are endless.

A card is perfectly fine, preferably with a sentence or two from you personally.

I would try to bring a little something, even a $5 gift card from a local bookstore, or even Office Max (Hey, who doesn't need paper or pens?) etc). I do think a photo in a frame is an awesome gift, however!

I think it is fine for kids the same age to attend each others' parties with simple cards or memories and such, without gifts. But I think adults should show up with something, however moderate. A framed pic from the old days, a pack of copy paper to open, even. I wouldn't go empty-handed.

Edited by LibraryLover

If you'd like to add something to the card, perhaps dig out a picture of the boys as Tigers or Cub Scouts and include it--it will be appreciated!

I think this is a great idea.

The ceremony I attended was - not actually endless, I suppose, but definitely more than an hour. Two hours for sure, and it was just one scout. Don't believe any vague assurances from the parents, who will just blithely inform you that "it won't be very long," :lol:

Edited to add that I would work harder and really get creative in order to give a gift to a younger Scout, because it is likely to be one of his first significant achievements, and because kids really like gifts, lol. In your situation, an older Scout who just had the significant achievement and gift bonanza of graduating, I would do card & photo without hesitation.

Edited by katilac