Menu

Fiction to go w/Medieval History

We're doing Medieval History this year and I'm looking for some light(ish) fiction to go along with our other reading.

We're doing Beowulf and CanterburyTales as part of English this year. I'm thinking of Grendel by John Gardiner as an extra read.

But something lighter and more fun (not to say funny) would be nice too. Medieval mysteries, maybe?

Kids are 13.5 and 15.

Thanks!

I just sold a box of it & here's what was in it:

TEXT

Shearer: Greenleaf Guide the Famous Men of the Middle Ages c. 1992, TM & SM

David Macaulay: Cathedral and Castle

Gies: Life in a Medieval City

Daugherty: The Magna Charta

Rockwell: Glass, Stones & Crown-The Abbe Suger and the building of St. Denis

Teacher Created Materials: Medieval Times

LITERATURE

Hodges: St George and the Dragon

Morris: The Princess, the Crone, and the Dung-Cart Knight

de Angeli: Black Fox of Lorne

de Angeli: Door in the Wall

Eliot: Murder in the Cathedral

Wordsworth: Tales from King Arthur (ed. Lang)

Chaucer: Canterbury Tales (modern English prose translation by Lumiansky)

Kelly: Trumpeter of Krakow

Gray: Adam of the Road

Selections from Little Flowers of St. Francis might be interesting.

Also, reading from Julian of Norwich is sparse and easy to read, but deep at the same time.

Also, ds loved Song of Roland--it's not really light or fun, but it was his favorite from Omnibus II. Any of the Robin Hood stuff is easy and light, too.

We're doing the same time period and in the middle of Beowulf. I've added G.A. Henty's The Dragon and The Raven (King Alfred) as historic fiction that 15yo ds will start when he's done with Beowulf.

I'm using Omnibus II as a jump off point, but picking and choosing which titles we'll cover and adding other things. I'm still planning it out, so :bigear: for me too.

Medieval times were when fairy tales start to flower, you could look for some novelized versions of those tales. Robin McKinley is a good writer to look at for that. She has several books out that novelize fairy tales (although I disliked Spindle's End a bunch).

I love pairing Beowulf and Grendel. The Canterbury Tales gets a bit raunchy, but if that doesn't bother you, there are plenty of options. There are many wonderful resources on King Arthur, some true to older sources and others more fanciful. Le Morte d'Arthur is the classic, but I like John Steinbeck's Gawain and the Green Knight from his unfinished collection about Arthur. I also like Jane Yolen's trilogy of books about young Merlin, if you are looking for something a little less dense than Mallory or Chaucer. I have a love/hate relationship with Avi, but The Cross of Lead and The Book Without Words would both be topical, and they are very atmospheric. My boys are working on a series by Nancy Farmer set (Sea of Trolls)in a medieval world rich in religion and mythology, but they are fantasy, and I don't know how that is received in your house.

I heartily recommend a movie for you, though - The Secret of Kells (http://www.amazon.com/The-Secret-Kells-Brendan-Gleeson/dp/B0036TGSW6/ref=pd_sim_b_1). It is beautiful and not as widely known as it should be. Plus, you can make your kids read 9th century cat poetry (Pangur Ban).

Thanks for all the responses! Great ideas! Just some general responses -

My son loved the Nancy Farmer books! He has read a fair bit of YA fiction from that period.

Canterbury Tales - We won't be reading them all. Glencoe Literature Library has a study guide and just uses a few; I haven't checked yet but I'm pretty sure they'll be the more "tame" ones.

Caedfal mysteries! I couldn't remember the name.

I'd love to do Malory but whew, that could take the whole year on its own. Peter Ackroyd has a newish version out. We could skip Arthur altogether as we've done a good bit of reading in that area. I'd forgotten about Steinbeck! I think I may even have that book in a box somewhere...

Movies are good too!

Thank you so much!