Menu

Need new front loader washer and dryer. Please recommend!

We had a Kenmore Front loader washer and dryer that we bought 11 years ago and it's still going strong! Alas, we sold our house and left that set in it. So now I'm looking to buy a new set for our new home. Is Kenmore still reliable? I want one that washes well, and doesn't break down! The features seem to have really changed since I last shopped.

Please tell me what you love/hate and why. Thank you!

I had to "abruptly" replace my condemer reports 'recommended buy' front loader. :toetap05: (oh, so glad I bought an extended warranty:thumbup1:) It failed from a common flaw in that particular machine. cost more to fix it than buy my new LG washer.

I've had an LG dryer for several years (bought after the washer) so I bought the matching LG washer. I didn't buy the LG washer the first time becasue it wasn't in my budget. It has very good reveiws from *many* sources and I actually like it better. This one I bought online from applicance connection and got a fabulous deal on it. It was on sale, and had two different rebates at the time.

Whirlpool Duets. They have a good track record of not breaking, not having stinky seals, and are energy efficient.

My repair person says that he's never seen a Whirlpool Duet dryer fail, and if the washer has issues, it's because the person uses too much laundry soap (which messes up a sensor and causes buildup in the seal).

I do have my washer and dryer serviced every couple of years as preventative maintenance.....but we do several loads a day.

My Whirlpool Duet washer can wash king sized bedding easily, and has done a great job with our cloth diapers (and has a sanitize cycle).

I wonder if the Whirlpool Duets have changed over the years. Many of the current reviews mentioned they break a lot. But people that have had them for quite awhile love them. Consumer Reports rated them highly along with LG but the user reviews didn't match for that reason. Decisions! And such an expensive one!

Thanks all for your input!

I wonder if the Whirlpool Duets have changed over the years. Many of the current reviews mentioned they break a lot. But people that have had them for quite awhile love them. Consumer Reports rated them highly along with LG but the user reviews didn't match for that reason. Decisions! And such an expensive one!

Thanks all for your input!

Until as recently as 2010 (when I was looking to upgrade, but decided to stay put), certain duets were made in Germany, and others in Mexico. I believe it was the "sport" and cheaper models that were made in Mexico and are a little more uneven in quality. That may give you a good place to start your research.

Hmm...here is a link that may be helpful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/laundry/msg0511043515744.html?11

ETA: and another (it looks as if all Whirlpool duets may be made in Ohio now?) http://applianceadvisor.com/content/whirlpool-bring-production-laundry-back-usa-germany-mexico-exclusiv-e0025

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ